Friday, November 1, 2013
Chapter 16-17
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/charlesI.htm Charles I Execution
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/londonfire.htm Great Fire in London
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/sunking.htm Inside Louis Court
http://www.answers.com/topic/oliver-cromwell Cromwell - Pick One Reading.
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/exh_gfx_en/ART29281.htmlGunpowder Plot
http://www.show.me.uk/gunpowderplot/children_torture.htmGunpowder
http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/glossary/prides-purge.htm Pride's Purge
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7221/antisemitism.htmAnti-Semitism
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~zhenka/054.html Stenka Razin
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/history/peter1st.asp Quick Hit on Peter The Great
http://hem.passagen.se/uscygnus/CharlesXII.html Charles XII
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ 4th of July Britain Style
http://www.geocities.com/traditions_uk/bonfire.html Bonfire Night
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ Bonfire Night
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/wilhelm_i_and_the_potsdam_giants Potsdam Giants.http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/W.Europe/W.Europe9.htmlhttp://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/history/events/dates/ch5.shtm
Battle of the Boyne
http://www.geographia.com/russia/moscow02.htm Kremlin
http://polish-baltic-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_false_dmitris_of_russia Dmitri Stabbed. (Age?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozvnMZ7Jq4http://www.pptpalooza.net/ Look at the Baroque
http://jim.com/hobbes.htm
Hobbes vs Locke
http://history2.professorpage.info/John%20Locke%20and%20Thomas%20Hobbes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oC8tiZ1Shg
http://creately.com/diagram/glw8pjkd1/Locke+and+Hobbes+Venn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oC8tiZ1Shg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHm_T84G48&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwJy81khwI&feature=related
Kids liked this
http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/essays/comp/cw20hobbes_locke.htm
quizlet review is set up undr PRHSAPE. There are three sets but I can't promise you that there are not any spelling errors. I put it together quick like and when I get a chance will fix anything you tell me to. Oh the password to get in is = lambo http://www.quizlet.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The first article I read was on the gunpowder plot. The article explained who was really behind the plot, how it came to be and it's downfall. A man by the name of Robert Catesby lead 13 other men into his elaborate plan. The idea of blowing up Parliament came when James I was no better than Queen Elizabeth I in tolerating Catholics. The group of men gathered 36 barrels of gunpowder and hid them in a cellar under the House of Lords. Some of the conspirators began to question what they were doing and leaked information about their plan which reached the king. On the morning of November 5, 1605 the king's forces stormed the cellar finding Guy Fawkes, one of the conspirators; he was tortured and executed. That night bonfires were set as a result of the king's safety and that still continues. Today on the night of November 5,Englishmen celebrate by lighting bonfires and setting off fireworks. The event is referred to as Bonfire Night. This article was a good review for me and it gave me some new information as well.
The second article I read was on Peter the Great. It first introduced his troublesome childhood and his struggle to gain his rightful throne. The article then moved on to the time during his reign and successes including organizing a Russian army and navy. Finally, it talks about his personality. Peter was a big man and intimidating. He was hands-on with his projects, always jumping in to help. Peter was described as a man's man yet very likable to all. This article was also a beneficial review for me.
I looked at the article on Oliver Cromwell. He was a strong Calvinist in England, but he still believed in religious tolerance. Cromwell was a part of Parliament's army that fought Charles I. Cromwell led the forces and helped secure a victory in the English Civil Wars. What was shocking was when Cromwell turned down the English throne when it was offered to him by Parliament.
I also read the article that provided insights on Louis XIV court and palace, Versailles. It went over a certain large party, and showed the severity of anything short of perfect being achieved. The head chef, Vatel, didn't cook the dinner perfectly for some unexpected guests at the 25th table during the party. After, the fireworks show, which was very expensive, was partially blocked by a cloud. Vatel couldn't bear to see the problems with the party, and ended up committing suicide. This seems extreme, but it was for the rich and powerful French king in the fanciest palace in Europe at the time.
Post a Comment