http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeK6spOIVro&NR=1 Death of a Nation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK30k2WTxY0http://youtube.com/watch?v=nCGNB47jJ0s&feature=related Wall Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmj_o1hjIbQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl3E-cwA6y8 Billy gets mad at the Soviets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRu9yzlTRI Red Square http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-A4QFHZBA Watch this one
http://www.school-for-champions.com/history/start_fire_lyrics.htm - Lyric's http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2786786059639293312 - Joel's Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwEsu7z6Jw Explain this Cartoon http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1982reagan1.html Evil Empire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do0x-Egc6oA&feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=GEmlQJzw_w0&feature=relatedhttp://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/wellbeing/story/0,,2274010,00.html Ping Pong Diplomacy
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/krushchev-secret.html Krushchev http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKexf166TKk Cold War Videos made by AP Kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4kDezFUk8&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-0e7xEOSs&feature=relatedhttp://www.infoplease.com/spot/yugotimeline1.html Yugoslavia Time Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRzr1QU6K1o Nixon takes us off the Gold Standard
http://quizlet.com/5166795/ap-euro-the-cold-war-and-nationalism-1945-2001-flash-cards/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Iread the blog on Ronald Reagan's speech evil empire. This is certainly a far cry from the days of nixons detente. Inside of a relaxation of tension he is calling for these of aid or proxy wars as a men's to get rid of communism in countries. How someone could unite both the republican and democrat parties so this goal is achievable is nbeyond me. I didn't know that the societ union was at risk for starvation, though I did know about the most of their money going towards war. It seems that he didn't want to be the peacekeeper that he wanted to be the conqueror of the soviet union
The first post i looked at was the cartoon of the four main Russian leaders. The video highlighted each of their ideas by putting them in a situation. In the end, all four of their ideas were unsuccessful as the train was not put into motion again. Of all four characters the easiest for me to understand who it was had to be Gorbachev. Aside from his birthmark it was obvious because his plan to relax and take matters into his own hands without violence was most characteristic.
I read the secret speech premiere Khrushchev gave in secret to Twentieth party congress. This speech seems a way toseperate himself from stalin and he does this by bring up facts like how or most people whom died in the purges weren't actually enemies, or how Lenin only used measures he considered extreme only when necessary and that these measures were half as extreme as Stalin. By distancing himself from Stalin, kruschev meant to distance himself from totalitarianism and the hardliners in the soviet union. Hedid this I bieleve to get the the people's support. Unfortunately this separation is what brought his downfall and subsequent replacement with breschnev.
I watched the red square video hoping to learn about red square, but it was actually Paul McCartney performing his song "back in the USSR". While I couldn't decipher his lyrics very well I did find something interesting in the chorus that I wonder if he had done on purpose. In the chorus he says" back to the us, back to the us, back to the USSR. I wonder if the original intend of this was to poke at the USSR to suggest at the united states is better than the USSR. Regardless the people of the crowd seems to be enjoying the performance. I also wonder if thre Russian people understand the lyrics, or just like the beats because I doubt that they would understand the English but I could be wrong.
I watched the video on the carton called the hammer and tickle. Basically this video made fun of the four main soviet leaders. It was interesting because it showed in a more relatable situation how they acted when in power and essentially whyn they all failed. One says to just shoot the driver; acting on actions without thinking and using violence. The next says they should rehabilitate the driver, reforming and trying to format people. One says to just fake to and one says to take on something or try something that clearly won't work.
The second post that I looked at was the song we didn't start the fire by billy Joel. Last year we listened to the
Song in apus. When I watched it then I only understood the us history components. Now after taking euro I knew the majority of references which gives the song more meaning because I can now understand the flow of the music
I watched the back in the ussr and it is interesting to think that this type of thing had not been allowed for a long time. The USSR suppressed the arts for so long it must have been exciting for those artists to finally be allowed into there. There were a lot of people there also I saw a Britain flag in the crowd out of place.
The thing about we didn't start the fire by Billy Joel is that the time frame from Rockefeller of 1953 to rosa parks to hoola hoops. What I like most about the song is trying to figure out how each of the topics that are mentioned are related to each other and what they have to do with the fire. I like to thing all of these items are very controversial, but I can't seem much controversy behind a hula hoop.
I read Kruschev's speech denouncing Stalin and taking from his legacy. This must have been a bold move considering no one dared speak out against Stalin even though he was dead. That is strange even though most thought Stalin was far too harsh with his policies. Kruschev realized that fighting the west was a mistake and would not help them get stronger economically.
I watched President Ronald Reagan's Speech "Evil Empire." This speech showed how prominent the threat of communism was and how greatly people opposed it. It wasn't just that people disagreed with it political but they also disagreed with it in a religious sense. Reagan told a story about how a father said that he would rather have his daughters die now with a belief in God then die under a communist rule without a belief in God. I also watched the Cold War video. This did a great job summarizing up the Cold War and the different documents and conferences that took place during that time. It was helpful to have it broken down in such a way. Again this video showed how greatly Americans opposed the spread of communism. The Truman doctrine is one example of ways in which we tried to slow the spread of communism by offering aid to countries that were facing economic hardships to that they would not be tempted to turn into a communist country.
Post a Comment