http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?http://blogs.nature.com/thescepticalchymist/2008/07/whos_the_greatest_russian_scie.html Who was the greatest Russian?http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1970/solzhenitsyn-autobio.html Solzhenitsyn the great Russian author
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=HK&hl=zh-TW&v=Xglby1gdDwM How Hitler lost the War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qeCNg8fO0&feature=related - Check this 8th Grade Project out. Does he make any errors?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgJQUXr2Ws Hitler Speech - Triumph of the Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVP3KU-qOzchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58N73cAF97Yhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQIJkgpP1hg Munich Agreement
http://www.ukemonde.com/genocide/margolisholocaust.html Gulag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQIJkgpP1hg Munich Agreement
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mdzikovs/golod.html Ukraine Holocaust
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1920keynes.html Keynes Saw It Coming
http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/guernica/glevel_1/1_bombing.html Guernica
http://incredibleimages4u.blogspot.com/2010/01/defending-leningrad-ww2.html Leningrad
http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/franco.html Franco Site
http://www.richeast.org/htwm/SCW/scw.html Lincoln Birgade US troops in Spain fighting for the Communist?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lLU5-yji8&skipcontrinter=1 Triuph of the Will -Final Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57OG_u2eU0 Beer Hall Putsch- Another Historians account
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
The first video I watched was a historian's account about Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch. Hitler was 23 when he tried this takeover, he & his followers were called the NAZIs (national social workers party), he was laughed at when he entered the beerhall and announced 'the revolution has begun!', he marched on city hall because no one would take him seriously, the greens (police-like force) tried to put the revolution down with guns, and then Hitler ran away like a coward. How did this man rise to power after this?! Embarassing failure somehow followed by great power.
The second website I looked at was about the Ukranian Holocaust (which is called the Holodomor in Ukraine, meaning "slow killing by starvation"). It amazes me that I've never heard about it before, and I don't think a lot of people have, and yet it was such a huge loss of life. In 1932, Stalin was dissatisfied with Ukraine because people didn't want to give up their individual property, so he decided to forcefully take away all food from villages. Anyone found with food was arrested and sent to labor camps, and the trains were monitored so the peasants couldn't leave. An estimated 7 million people were killed. The website also had some excerpts from survivors, which were interesting and really sad. It's all very depressing and pretty scary. How does this stuff actually succeed?
The first video I watched was the historians tale about the Beer Hall Putsch. He said that Hitler walked into the halls with his 300 followers and fired his gun in the air and said that the revolution has started. everyone laughed at him. Then he walked outside and did it again but this time he hid afterward because he was afraid someone would shoot at him. Ludendorf stood up and surrendered while Hitler hid. How could he become powerful when he couldn't even get people to follow him?
The second article I looked at was about the bombing of Gurnica. It amazed me that a ruler would allow a country to bomb his people and be okay with it. The bombing lasted three and a half hours and killed many innocent civilians. Those who tried to run away were shot down by fighter plans with machine guns. The Germans were allowed to practice and chose a time when they knew many people would be out on the streets. I can't believe something so terrible could have happened and there was nothing the people could do about it.
After reading about the bombing of Guernica I had no idea how much metal rained down from the sky to the town. We learned about Picasso's painting and the history of the town last year in Spanish and review it again this year, but I like being able to bridge the gap between the two classes. In Spanish we would talk about the painting the the choices Picasso made and how it elevate the emotional value of the work. And now after reading this passage I am more informed on just how many bombs fell out of the sky. I had always thought it had just been one or two, but according to the witness in the article is seemed to be an endless amount. I also didn't know they shot bullets too, if it was a training why would they need to take aim at specific people?
I read Alexandr Solzhenitsyn's autobiography which was very interesting. I had no idea who Alexandr was before reading this, and even less of an idea that he was a noble prize winning writer. He went through a lot in his rather long life. He spent eight years in prison and was eventually exiled from Germany to Kazakhstan. He was a smart man, and didnt begin his college education as a physics and mathematics and later got into literature.
I then looked at the post on NPR about who's the greatest Russian Scientists i was surprised to see Stalin and Nicholas II at the top of the list. I was only familiar Mendeleev as being a scientist and I am unsure as to what contributions that Stalin and Nicholas made to the scientific community. Many other of those mentioned as preceding Mendeleev in importance are unfamiliar to me. Perhaps this is because we have not yet covered the material, but if not i'm curious to know how educated the people are who are voting for each scientist.
Reading about Gulag really opens my eyes as to how much violence was really going on during WWII. When most think of WWII they think of only the atrocities against the Jews, but after reading about the 7 million that died in the Gulag it is shocking to discover just how many people died. The thing that opened my eyes the most was the singling out of Ukrainians and how they were just shot at random and even starved in the Russian cold.The article said that about 25,000 innocent civilians where shot per day, PER DAY. I just cant fathom that man people dying in one day. The article also said that cannibalism became common. Does this mean that the living prisoners would eat the bodies if dead or would they attempt to eat living prisoners.
I watched the account of the Beer hall putsch. Hitler was a crazy guy who didn't really have much of a plan back in the day. It is kind of funny how he got up on the table and shot his gun yelling the revolution has begun. He was in fact a man without a plan. He was not a brave leader either, he hid and ran away like a coward. Also the historian guy was really old. This was insightful.
I read who was the greatest Russian. It is apparently between Stalin and Peter II. I don't really understand how Stalin could be the greatest Russian when he killed over 20 million of his own people as well as he was a paranoid psychopath. Peter II makes sense because he started to westernize the Russia. The article also talks of Russian scientists such as Mendeleev. It was enlightening to say the least.
I just read the article about Guernica and it was quite surprising. I had no idea how horrific the bombing of guernica was. The bombing lasted over three hours,people ran trying to find shelter and protection, the bombing was seemingly endless causing many casualties. After the bombing news of it spread fast, and the whole nation went into a state of panic. The painting done by picasso is very well done, portaying the various emotions that the terrible incident caused.
I just watched the video called Chamberlain in Germany WWII, it was interesting to see how famous Hitler and Chamberlain were. All of the special treatments, greetings, and cheering fans, made it seem so different. I didn't realize that this talk between hitler and the British Chamberlain was such a big deal. However it was groundbreaking that these two had a friendly talk, now fully understanding eachother. Hitler has also agreed to meet Chamberlain half way in the end, saying that they are now equal and in a sense friends. It was very interesting seeing the actual trading of peace between the two.
Post a Comment