http://www.emachinetool.com/machine_history.cfm Two Countries the benefited by IR
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/indrevtabs1.html Conclusion Tables
http://www.victorianweb.org/history/workers1.html Life in IR World
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/nightingale-rural.html Cool some gross hygiene
http://www.victorianweb.org/history/chadwick2.html Conditions
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99390.htmhttp://www.coalandcokepsu.org/ Coke History of it
Manet/Monet the difference
http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=g&p=a&a=i&ID=204http://www.mentalfloss.com/difference/?p=72 The difference
http://emptyeasel.com/2007/07/13/an-explanation-of-impressionism-manet-monet-and-other-impressionists/
http://www.geocities.com/commiett/difference.html Communist view
http://www.conservative-resources.com/capitalism-vs-socialism-vs-communism.html Conservative view
http://redmenace-benson.blogspot.com/2008/03/socialism-vs-communism.html Red menace blog
http://www.pptpalooza.net/ #36 Save it, then open it or you will never get it to work.#28 is Neoclassicism - What I would like you to do is review the slides and come up with a working definition for the following; Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Realism and Impressionism. The last two are not in the slide show. Once you have a definition write down 3 key artisit and a show (one artist) famous piece of work that goes with each time period.(Total of 3 Pieces) You also need to write a reaction to the piece of art you picked. Yes you can use other sites but look at the slides.
http://www.studystack.com/studytable-482 Art Time Period Site
http://web.archive.org/web/20000617070143/warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/History/teaching/sem10/baud.htmlhttp://history.hanover.edu/courses/art/111rom.html Romanticism Pieces
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks5.html#19century Might be of some help!
ART PROJECThttp://www.studystack.com/studytable-482 Art Time Period Site
http://web.archive.org/web/20000617070143/warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/History/teaching/sem10/baud.htmlhttp://history.hanover.edu/courses/art/111rom.html Romanticism Pieces
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks5.html#19century Might be of some help!
http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=g&p=a&a=i&ID=204http://www.mentalfloss.com/difference/?p=72http://emptyeasel.com/2007/07/13/an-explanation-of-impressionism-manet-monet-and-other-impressionists/ The difference
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I read the article about the hygiene during the time period The article was creativly written. It was set up in the style of a report and was written in the present tense so it was fun to follow along to. As for the content... That was kind of revolting. I was aware that the world was pretty unsanitary back in the day, but some of the things they were saying horrified me. Like the fact that they would have their pumps and cesspits right next to eachother and when the cess would leak during the rain the people would complain about "thick water". Another horrify thing was that during massive rain storms the children used to play outside it the mud pits... In reality they were playing in their own excrements. HORRIFYING.
I also read the article about the differences between Monet and Manet. I've never really known a lot about either of the artists but after reading this ariticle I looked at some of their works and they were great examples of impressionalism. So the article basiclally said that there was a Manet was 8 years older and actually helped Monet financially. Apparently Manet even owned some of Monets work. Although they often got confused for eachother they had different tastes in their work; 'Monet painted the trains, and Manet painted those who rode them'.
I read the article that compared Monet and Manet. It was interesting that they were confused even during their careers. On time Manet received a check filled out for Monet, this seems like an easy mistake considering the closeness of their names and they were both major artists of the time. They did have some differences, however. Manet came from a wealthy family while Monet was brought up in a poor household. Their subjects were different as well. Monet had a train fetish while Manet only did one painting feature this subject. Manet focused more on the passangers; people bustling around. Manet owned some of Monet’s work and when Manet died Monet suggested that the French Government buy one of Manet’s paintings.
I looked at the four Romantic paintings as well. They were not what I was expecting; all four were scenes of battle and destruction. The emotion was conveyed, however, so they represent the Romanticism period in that aspect. It is similar to the music period we learned about; motion and the individual. The scenes were not like a portrait where people pose, or a still landscape. They are painted like a snapshot, in action.
I read the article about the differences of Monet and Manet. For the majority of my life, I believed these two to be the same, but they obviously are not. It is interesting that Monet was the poorer of the two, seeming that he is the most well known. Monet even borrowed a lot of money from Manet and may have repaid him with paintings.
I also read the article about the two countries that “invented” the Industrial Revolution: England and America. England developed many machines that make work go faster (steam engines etc) and America produced many things that enabled products to be mass produced (“Uniformity System” copying machine). Eli Whitney also developed the cotton gin which helped England with its textile industry. Therefore, the two countries worked off each other in order to both become the two that “invented” the industrial revolution.
The first article I read was on the most important countries in the industrial revolution/that benefited most from it, Great Britan and America. The article mainly discussed the importance of inventors from the two nations: James Watt, John Wilkinson, Joseph Withworth, Eli Whitney, etc. The advancements that each of these individuals made in industry as well as farming made it possibile for the industrail revolution to take place throughout the world. I found it interesting that the two most important countries had so many similarities...both had english as their primary language, one grew as a colony of the other, both had relatively free governments. However, the question of America's ability to industrialize without colonies was easily answered by its great size and rescourses within its borders. It's nice to see APUS and APEURO somehow come together at a point of importance.
The second article I read was about the difference between impressinist artists Monet and Manet. Even though their names are relatively similar, they are quite different artists in technique. Monet, for instance, paints in tiny dabs of color and tends to depict landscapes. Manet, on the other hand, focuses on people in swifter strokes. I found this article to be interesting, especially because this is a clarification that I have been looking for for quite a long time. However, my favorite impressionist is still Van Gogh, so my life is certainly not changed by this work of art by Mental Floss.
I read the article about Alexander II's death. The article was very interesting, and was written by someone who was a witness to the events. Alexander II was warned ahead of time that the revolutionaries were planning an assasanation, but the Czar refused to live in fear. Even after they began attacking him, he stayed behind to aid the injured men from his carraige. He sent the message to the revolutionaries that he wouldnt be overpowered or scared by them.
The second article I read was on Florence Nightingale. Florence left a big impact on hospitals and nursing facilities, especially those on the battlefield. Before she began her work, the soldiers were put in horrifying conditions where they were left in their filthy/bloody uniforms. This led to many of the soldiers dying from diseases. What surprised me was that Florence wouldnt let Mary Seacole join her nursing staff. I would think that she would want to give equal opportunities to all women who wanted to help. Though, Florence did leave a big impact in the medical field and paved a way for women who wanted equal job opportunities.
I read Florence Nightingale’s piece about rural hygiene. The condition of homes, privies, and wells was absolutely disgusting. I was most disturbed by Nightingale’s account of the wells being close to privy pits or waste and that “Often after heavy rain the cottagers complain that their well¬ water becomes thick.” I think Nightingale’s call to institute preventative measures instead of just waiting for conditions and statistics to become poor was very intelligent and ahead of her time.
I looked at the four romantic paintings. Although all were of common themes – war, battle, destruction – each individual painting/artist had different characteristics. The painting of Napoleon and Liberty Leading the People were both done in somber colors and realistic styles. Both showed triumph at the hands of others. Goya’s painting, also infused with emotion, made use of brighter colors and a less realistic style. The slave ship painting seemed to stand out the most from the bunch, because the brush strokes made it look like almost an impressionistic painting.
I read one of the articles on the differences between Manet and Monet. It was interesting to note that, though their subject matter was distinctly French and Impressionist, they both employed different painting techniques. Monet was famed for the small dots of paint he used to form images, and Manet was notable for his chubbier brushstrokes. Also, Manet paved the way for Impressionism, whereas Monet merely perfected this art form.
I also read the article about the two major countries of the Industrial Revolution: America and Britain. It was interesting how the two countries developed machinery for different reasons. Britain merely created machinery because they wanted to perfect the manufacturing process, though they had plenty of labor. America, on the other hand, was rural and sparsely populated in areas, so machines were developed to do the work of men, where men were not available.
Post a Comment