http://www.napoleonguide.com/ Great all around site for Napoleon
http://www.historywiz.com/toussaint.htm Toussaint
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/flash/n_time/index.html PBS Timeline and other things.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/soldier/page_1.html Article
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/standard/bio.html Quick Hitters
http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/napoleon/section9.rhtml Elba Escape
http://www.napoleonguide.com/sthelen.htm Life on St. Helena
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/battle_waterloo_01.shtml BBC Site bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtmlafalgar/index.shtml Animated Map
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtml Cool Stuff
http://www.withfriendship.com/quotes/Author-Napoleon-Bonaparte.php Napoleon Quotes
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/hs1000.htmlhttp://www.napoleonguide.com/ Napoleon Stuff
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/march-of-democracy.html Map of Democracy-Takes Time to load
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
32 comments:
This article was about Napoleon’s ‘Grand Army’ and how it consisted of mostly poor citizens. People were expected to join the military on their own terms, but if they didn’t they lost citizenship. Soldiers were given little training and were forced to learn quickly during battles. Terms began at five years but later on people were only allowed to leave for medical purposes.There was lack of food, slow mobility (small trains), and cheap uniforms. The hardships actually served as motivation which led his troops to success. There was little corporal punishment, but Napoleon did order some exercutions. He awarded bravery and success in combat, and this soldiers could move up the ranks. I found it interesting that 4 soldiers died of illness for every man that died in actual battle. The Russians and their winter finally defeated Napoleon.
I read about Napoleans escape from Elba. At the island he was being watched over by austrian and french gaurds. He was fairly aware of what was going on in the world by reading newspapers, and thousands of letter from all over the world. What I found most interesting was that when he escaperd back to france, when police were sent to arrest him, them knelt before him. Instead of arresting him.
I watched the animated map on the battle of Trafalgar. It explained like the reasons and the lead up to the battle, and then showed how the British fleet showed superior tactics in ruining Napoleon's fleet. It explained how different angles of attack can be more effective, but what the British fleet did was unheard of, they broke through the enemy line, and scattered the ships while firing at them some broadside and others from a 90 degree angle. The animation made all of the battle notes make sense, and it was good for me because i am a visual learner!
I read about Napoleon's stay at St. Helena. It's amazing to think about what a change in scenery Napoleon had once being shipped of to this little island. No more big fancy palaces for him! He even had to stay with a British family, and his supervisor Sir Hudson Lowe treated him just like any "general" compared to "his majesty that Napoleon would have perferred. I found the part about the claims of low provisions and then reading that they had 40 kilos of meat a day with 17 bottles of wine and nine chickens (sounds like suffering to me!) There is also a museum in Australia of the furniture Napoleon share with the British family including pieces of hair... interesting.
I read the Sparknotes article about Napoleon's escape from exile. Everyone loves Sparknotes so that was a nice easy read for me. However, I did learn about Napoleon. I didn't realize that his ex-wife had died and that made me feel bad because he was super duper in love with her (a little crazy too).I thought it was pretty cool that Napoleon escaped captivity and won his people over again. It did make me feel kinda bad for him when the 100 days dwindled down and he was named an enemy of the state. I feel like he did a lot of great things for France, but in the end he was just punished for it. I guess thats what happens when you let your ego get the better of you.
I read the sparknotes page on Napoleon's exile and escape. Previous to reading the article, I had thought of Napoleon's exile as being similar to being in a far away prison. I didn't realize that on Elba, Napoleon retained his title and was in charge of the island's 12,000 inhabitants. I thought it was neat that Napoleon tried to continue his reforms in Elba, trying "to improve the island's infrastructure, order hospitals built, and increase the availability of drinking water." Napoleon's exile seems actually like a pleasant retirement.
I also read about Napoleon's second exile on St. Helena. Although still not a prison, Napoleon lost many of the privileges he had enjoyed in his first exile. Napoleon's complaints seem to be exaggerated, however, considering that everyday he and his company got 40 kilos of meat, nine chickens, and 17 bottles of wine. I found it interesting that in his least glamorous days, Napoleon was able to produce his memoirs that made him a legend. Had Napoleon enjoyed emperor status in France until his death, his memoirs may not exist.
I watched the Trafalgar Battle war tactics animation. It was wicked cool to see the fighting style of the british at sea. it seemed as thought the main tactic was just to ram ships into eachother. But the British did have the best navy in the world so it has to work, right?
I Also read the blog on the "Quick Hitters". i Had no idea that he had any siblings, and that he was the 4th child. I also learned that he was sent to the military school, Ecole Militaire in Paris, at age 9 where he was teased constantly.
I read about Napoleon's Elba Escape. It talked about how Napolean was exiled to the island but he was allowed 400 soldiers. I didn't realize that he was recieving news papers about things going on in the world. I thought it was interesting that even though he was exiled he took many steps to improve the island.
I Also did the Battle at Waterloo game. I played as Napoleon and the final result was a draw. It was interesting to think what could have happened if Napolean had made some better decisions during that battle, because their were several crucial points were he could have altered the outcome of the battle.
I read the article about the Battle of Waterloo. It was a more in depth review than the video we saw in class. It was ironic to see that Napoleon finally found an opponent worthy of fighting against him. I thought it was interesting how the Duke of Wellington studied all of Napoleon's war tactics so he was able to predict his moves.
I also read the article about how Napoleon's life on St. Helena was like. The way it's described makes it sound like house arrest. Even though the British gave Napoleon and his loyalists many material goods he didn't receive good treatment. He felt like he was being watched like a kid would be, for example he needed a British escort when he rode. It sounded like a really depressing 5-6 years.
I also read the article about Napoleon's army. It was interesting to read that the poor provisions of the army actually made it stronger instead of weakening it (they grew strong because they were used to hardships). Even with these low provisions, the discharges for mostly medical reasons (i.e. these poor provisions) but lots stuck it through to the end. Napoleon forbade looting, which I found interesting, and he recruited heavily from his conquered states. The article also touched on how Napoleon must have felt when retreating from Russia after loosing more than half his army. How devastating!
The first blog that I looked at was the BBC history animation. I found it very interesting and useful because it helped me picture Napoleon’s battles better. It also helped me realize that Napoleon really wasn’t that great in the navy, and it was fun to watch. I also read the quotes that he made, which I found especially interesting. Many of them were very war oriented, and basically talked about how a country needed to be in constant war and need a strong army in order to be successful, which really was his view point, but are great a basis for any war oriented country. Which, I have decided, are generally failures.
The first article that I read was about Napolean escaping from the island of Elba. In the article, I found out that Napoleon was not completely ignorant of what was happening in the world around him, because he was allowed to read letters and newspapers. Honestly, I think he was kind of stupid for returning to France, because if I had been expelled from a country, the last thing I would do is try to escape to go back to that same country.
The second article I clicked on was the map of democracy. Surprisingly, (and I'm not saying this only because I have to) I found it incredibly interesting. I wasn't really sure how "nationalism" is a form of government though... Maybe it was just naming a phase. Anyway, it was cool to have a visual on where democracy began... Originally in the Roman empire, then it disappeared, then it reappeared in the USA and spread everywhere except for China and various other countries. Also, I thought it was funny how fascism lasted for so little time because it sucked so badly.
I looked at the Napoleon timeline website. I focused on the time before he crowned himself Emperor in 1804. He was a representative of Louis XVI in 1778, went to the Brienne Military School in 1779 and the Royal Military School in 1784-1785. When the French Revolution began in 1789, Napoleon began to move up in the ranks. He was promoted to Brigadier General in 1793 and then Commander in Chief in 1795. The site then showed all this victorious battles that led up to his taking of the title "Emperor."
I also played the game with the virtual battle. I thought it was really neat to see the strategy behind the fight. It was also really cool that I got to make the the decisions for the plan of attack. I was unfortunately unlucky in most of my choices. I'm not usually to concerned with the details of wars cause they tend to be repetitive and boring. But the interactive game got me to learn something new!
i read the life on st helena piece. thought it was quite commical that st helena was run by the british, and that he was forced to live with a british family. i feel this serves him right for being a looney old man and thinking he can take on all of europe. i think this was a smart move by the french, to get him out and away from europe entirely.
I read napoleans escape from elba. The fact that he had kept in touch wityh france, and involved his thoughts with what was going on in france probably helped him with his returning. I do not iunderstand how he escaped though, if he just jumped on ship headed towards france or what. the fact that he was not arrested when approach does show his importance to the french people, because they immediately joined his side.
I read the article about Napoleon's escape from Elba mainly because i didn't know he escaped. To the best of my knowledge i thought he was released, but i had no idea that he escaped and had even less knowedge on the fact that he was allowed to rule Elba as an "Emperor". To me that is just plain strange and i feel like that isn't really even a punishment.
I just read some of the quotes that napoleon had made, and it comes across as typical military genius/leader quotes. theres not a whole lot i can say about the quotes other than they are actually extemely intelligent, my favorite one is "Ten people who speak, make more noise than Ten thousand people that are silent"
I read the sparknotes about Napoleon's escape from Elba. I thought it was interesting how involved he was on the island, and how he really sort of worked in the same ways on a smaller scale once in exile. I also thought it was cool how he was able to time his return just right with the anti-burbon sentiments that were flaring up over france. He knew he still had power over the army, and they proved him right when they knelt down to him instead of confronting him. Overall, Napoleon seems like a really interesting character, who really left behind quite a legacy.
I read the St. Helena article. Before reading this article, I had thought that Napoleon was treated very poorly on the island by the British as they were his enemies. I found out that he was actually treated decently, and had a pretty good life on St. Helena. He was given a nice home, the Longwood manor, and was definitely not fed like a prisoner. Napoleon did complain about living there but given the circumstances, I think he was lucky to be treated that well as a prisoner.
I also read the article about Napoleon’s soldiers. What interested me was how greatly Napoleon affected and changed the French army. Before his reign, the army was made up of predominantly wealthy nobles. Also, as seen through other events in history, Napoleon lost more of his soldiers to diseases than from combat on the battlefield. Napoleon had a way to instill pride in his soldiers that gave them a will to fight which helped him succeed as a military leader.
I read the article about life at St. Helena. It was interesting that the website claimed his memiors to be his most lasting success and besides the size of the island, it seems like an alright place to live. There is no shortage of food and 13 bottles of wine a day isn't too shabby either.
I also read the napoleon quotes article. Yah he was a pretty smart dude. His famous quotes also reflect his philosophy... there is a whole lot about war and political upheaval. One of my favorties is "Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent" Basically Napoleon was a pretty smart cookie
First I read the article on Toussaint L'Ouverture. I thought it was fascinating how someone that they described as "uneducated," "unmilitarized," and basically subordinate to all of the French managed to completely remove Napoleon from Haiti. Despite the fact that he had been defeated, Napoleon, even on his deathbed, consistently claimed that it was unimportant to him and that Toussaint was of no matter to him at all. Napoleon also treated Toussaint very cruelly, placing him in a prison where he died.
I also read the article on what life was like for Napoleon on St. Helena. I was surprised to find that despite its remote and bleak qualities, St. Helena was also home to some British families and possessed its own governor. It's somewhat ironic, however, that these people were British and Napoleon, a Frenchman, was forced to reside with them after his defeat by the British Duke of Wellington.
I viewed life on St. Helena for my first blog; I knew that Napoleon was exiled for a second time after his defeat at waterloo, and that he died on the island. I thought it was interesting how on a daily basis he was given17 bottles of wine, 9 chickens, and 40 kilos of meat.
For the seconded blog I reviewed Napoleons quotes, “Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.” This quote seems very powering, and it definitely seems like something Napoleon would say. I also like the quote “He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.” Because it seems logical, and is most likely how Napoleon defeated most of his enemies, through fear.
The first website i looked at was the Map of Democracy, which I found to be extremely interesting. It detailed the path of the development of democracy, usually through famous empires and dates (Magna Carta, creation of the United States of America, etc...) as time passed throughout the world. I found it interesting that the map would focus in the northern hemisphere, which made me wonder whether those locations nationally developed democracy first, or if democratic governments (small ones, as in tribes and primitive cultures) were developed and supported in places such as South America and Africa, however they were undocumented. Interesting, very interesting.
The second website I opened was the listing of Napoleon quotes, which had interesting similarities. They all appeared to be inspirational saying intune with Napoleon's gung-ho nationalism that he may have said in front of a crowd of soldiers to inspire them. My favorite, and perhaps most telling of his quotes, was "Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent." Go Napoleon!
I read about when Napoleon was shipped off and isolated at the Island of St. Helena. Although he was able to be in control of little things, he was basically being controlled for a change. Being on his own island being told what he can and cannot do must have been a huge change for him considering he was the greatest ruler of the world at the time. He was treated a lot differently than he was when he was a "Majesty".
I also read about his escape on sparknotes. This was interesting and easy to follow. I was kind of cheering for him when he won all of his people over again in France. He was a very accomplished man and although his downfall is kind of sad, his name will live on forever, along with the amazing things he did for France.
I read about when Napoleon was shipped off and isolated at the Island of St. Helena. Although he was able to be in control of little things, he was basically being controlled for a change. Being on his own island being told what he can and cannot do must have been a huge change for him considering he was the greatest ruler of the world at the time. He was treated a lot differently than he was when he was a "Majesty".
I also read about his escape on sparknotes. This was interesting and easy to follow. I was kind of cheering for him when he won all of his people over again in France. He was a very accomplished man and although his downfall is kind of sad, his name will live on forever, along with the amazing things he did for France.
Post a Comment