http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSod16wfgg Thanks Helen
http://www.thecaveonline.com/WORLDHISTORY/powerpoints/ArtofFrenchRevolution1.ppt.htm French Revolution Art Slides
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/horatti.html Neoclassicalism
http://thecaveonline.com/APEH/imagesoftheking.htm Political Cartoons of the FR
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/frrevaccom.html Accomplishments of the FR
http://www.constitution.org/fr/fr_drm.htmhttp://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/americanstudies/lavender/decwom2.htmlhttp://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/neocl_dav_marat.html Death of Marat
http://www.marxists.org/history/france/revolution/marat/index.htm Marat
http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/ Site to check out
http://www.britannia.com/history/euro/1/2_2.html FR overview
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/games/walk/walk_frenchrevolution.html FR GAME
http://www.lonympics.co.uk/French%20Revolution.htm List of things to think about
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/frenchrevolution.htm Start of the FR
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/louis.htm Louis XVI Death
http://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/whm2003/fr_rev_wmn.html Women and the FR
http://www.blastmilk.com/decollete/guillotine/ Guillotine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I looked at the politcal cartoons during the French Revolution. The majority of the cartoons dealt with Louis XVI and his blunders. Some made him look bad for his spending rather than helping the peasants. I also went throught the French Revolution overview, which was good because it put put everything together and tied some loose ends. ..probably would’ve helped for the test. It talked a lot about ideaology and went into Napolean so it was a good intro into what we will be learning.
I looked at the French Revolution Art Slides. It was interesting to see a lot of pieces of work that the Revolution produced. It was mainly the work of David and Goya, with an occasional political cartoon and the Declaration of Rights of Man. The style seemed to be mostly neoclassism with an occasional difference.
I also read the Accomplishments of the French Revolution. This dealt with both the accomplishment and failures and broke it down into political, social, economic, and religious. It was very useful to see what actually got accomplished compared to what did not. It would be a good breakdown for an essay or something of the sort.
I first read the article on the Accomplishments of the French Revolution, and I just thought it would be interesting to note that nothing actually got accomplished. Funnily enough, after all of that bloodshed, France went from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy to a republic and finally wound up with an enlightened despot. Religiously, Catholicism was still the big thing, as no one really wanted to be part of their cock-a-doodle-doo Cult of the Supreme Being. Oh, and their finances still sucked. Basically, though the French Revolution was highly defining point in French and European history, in the short term it accomplished a whole lot of nothing.
I also viewed John Green's three part series on the Revolution (Helen's contribution) and, apart from the fact that I already love the vlogbrothers, I found it to be both hilarious and informative. Even though we've already taken the test, I thought it did a great job doing a quick run down of the main points in a really funny way. And even if he isn't a historian, at least he was accurate and knowledgeable enough and highly entertaining. It'd be nice if there were videos made like this for every unit.
I looked at the website with all of the political cartoons, and it was interesting to mentally compare these french revolution cartoons with those of the american revolution. These were certainly more gruesome (the final one depicting Louis XVI's decapitated head was especially delightful) in comparison to others i've seen (only appropriate), and their depictions of the royalty as partly animal merely furthered the degradation. However, I did find a few to be quite...entertaining.
The second site I looked at was the Neoclassicalism art slides, and it was neat to see how closely the philosophy of the time mirrored its artistic work (the quotes at the beginning). Neoclassicalism so clearly breaks off from baroque art and has a lot more in common with that of the renaissance, which I found interesting (in its coloring and light, at least). All of the painted scenes were beautiful and so skillfully done that I had to leave the website a few slides short of the end due to my bursting jealousy.
I watched the video that Helen gave to you. The guy who narrated it was hilarious! I really enjoyed watching it... and wish I had watched it before the test! Although I knew about the things he covered in the video, he put it in simpler terms that made all the events seem more related. I think I'll use this guy for future studying!
For my other blog I read about Louis XVI's execution from Henry Essex Edgeworth's point of view. It was really eerie hearing the story from a first hand point of view. I felt like I was there with the King and the Priest. I feel really bad for Louis, he was a very terrible king, but no one deserves to get executed. This blog shows that he was a brave person, despite all of the political failures. Poor guy.
For my first blog I reviewed the French Revolution Art slides, I learned about neo-classicism and how it originated from Baroque and moved into the 19th century. It is interesting that the art expresses courage, sacrifice or love for ones country. The picture of Napoleon Crossing the Alps, I think is interesting also because the horse he is riding in the painting is said to actually be a mule.
I looked at the accomplishments for the French Revolution for me second blog; I liked how it was broken up into sections, such as political, social, economical, and religious. I also like how each section was divided into accomplished and not accomplished boxes. During the political role of the French Revolution constitutionalism was accepted, and democracy was declared. In the economical role of the Revolution, financial security was established, and free land was a reality. Religiously France was still Catholic at the end of the Revolution.
I looked at some of the French Revolution political cartoons. Most of them were pretty ingenious in their representation of the royal family's, or just Louis XVI's, faults. I really liked how you could match them to events at the bottom, it helped sort of connect a lot of how the public acted to how they perceived the monarchy for me!
The second thing I looked at were the Art Slides. They were very interesting, as well as the information that the powerpoint included about the painters, such as that David painted his self portrait in jail! Also, there were some slides about Goya, who we are just covering in Spanish, so it was nice to be able to make the connection there!
I read the article about the execution of Louis XVI. It seems Louis went to the guillotine acting every inch a king. I thought Louis's last quote, 'I die innocent of all the crimes laid to my charge; I Pardon those who have occasioned my death; and I pray to God that the blood you are going to shed may never be visited on France,' was very noble, but maybe he would have recieved more sympathy had he been a little repentent.
I also read the site about the political cartoons. I thought the cartoons were very effective in conveying their messages/arousing anger with little words. My favorite cartoon was the one with Louis on the tightrope. It shows his difficult position placed above the people, but always with a chance of "falling."
i tried to post these yesterday but the internet here timed out...hopefully i'm not too late
I looked at the art slide show from the French Revolution. I noticed that a lot of the work was done by Goya and David. I liked looking at the work and having a blurb of an explanation or a little history to go with it.
I also watched the video that Helen had mentioned and I thought it was very funny! It made things a bit easier to remember and understand. It made it easy to remember because it was funny.
Post a Comment