Thursday, February 18, 2010

World War I

http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/great_war/causes.htm WWI Causes
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm Flanders Field Poem
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/wwi/wwicauses.htm To The Point
http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/all.htm WWI Battles
http://wwi.lib.byu.edu/index.php/The_Zimmerman_Note Zimmerman Note Translation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/shellshock_01.shtml - Play with this site to find some diaries and such.
http://www.triv.net/html/Users7/u17815.shtml - Watch out if you get one wrong you have to start all over.
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/quizzes/wwi/outbreak.htm - Easy to do
http://www.historyteacher.net/EuroProjects/ExamReviewSheets/MatchingQuizzesForFinalReview-2001/MATCH-WW1.htm - Tough one.
http://www.thecorner.org/hists/ww1q.htm - Easy
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-1.htm - Pojer
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-2.htm - Pojer
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1919versailles.html Versailles

8 comments:

gabartlett said...

I liked the blog on the World War I causes because it brought everything basically under Maiina and summarized it. I also like how it added key events and like the Bosnian Crisis of 1908 and the Morocco crisis to the cause of WWI. I also like how they spoke about Bismarck and the Alliance system and how they collapsed. It was a good review for the upcoming test. I also liked the Pojer quizzes because they are always more challenging than the actual test questions. This makes it a good learning tool because I have to know more to answer her questions.

Unknown said...

The triv net quizzes were full of great information. That is nasty that the record amount of lice on a soldier is over ten thousand. It shows how nasty living in the trenches must have been. I knew about the Germans using hawks because of a cartoon mu nephew watched about pigeons going through flight school to rescue another pigeon that was captured by a German hawk. The Zimmerman Note sent by the Germans to the Mexicans was a hope by the Germans to get the Americans to probably focus on Mexico and leave Europe with most of there troops. Germany probably didn’t expect Mexico to win they just wanted a distraction for the Americans.Final review was easy got them all right on the first try.

Toakley said...

I did three of the quizzes the first two i got an 80 on the SCHOOLHISTORY one and then a 90 on THECORNER, on the harder one I got a 60% the first time i took it but took it 4 more times till i got it right.

CDonahue said...

The first site that I checked out was actually the poem. The poem was very interesting and I was able to make a strong connection to it given the fact that the poem was about the second battle of Ypres in 1915 and that was one of the battles I looked up. I can not imagine what it would be like to stitch people up from various countries during 17 days while shelling was taking place and then even seeing a former student die.

The School History site was a very good reinforcer for me, it was pretty easy to follow and things have been made more clear and dates have been set in my mind now. It was cool that there was a recap section to test what you learned, but it was a bummer that they took away so many points when an answer was wrong...come on school history quiz!

The BBC site about shellshock was just ridiculous. Not only did shellshock affect the soldiers, but even killing people did too. If a soldier stabbed the enemy in the stomach, they would return after the war and have severe abdominal cramps. Snipers had lost their site when they returned and the list goes on. Other than getting hit with a harsh reality, this site was good because at the bottom is a link to PBS that has an overview of WWI and it is some pretty easy reading with first hand accounts thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS1dO0JC2EE&feature=related -Shell Shock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4QxvFzK2R0&feature=related -Gas Attacks and some battle clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7B4cBt_Qg&feature=fvw -Life in the Trenches

Marlee Stever said...

In the causes of WW1 it is amusing that the things such as alliances and arm race which where supposed to make war less possible caused war. I wonder if the alliances that Bismarck had created would not have collapsed if he had not left. They probably would have with the tensions that where already growing between all countries. Though the war might have been a little easier for Germany. The Flanders Field poem has a song to go along with it that I had to play many times in band. It is cool that they have the original draft of it. The Zimmerman letter is really a reckless move on the Germans part. The Nationalism was probably growing in the United States so this letter would make the Americans mad. Also the immediate threat of Japan and Mexico and the take over of England would move the U.S. to attack. The quiz was useful. Learned different ways to call the triple entente and the triple alliance, Axis power.

John DeGennaro said...

There were some really great links in this blog! I thought that the first link, the overview leading up to the war, was very helpful. I understood the things that led to it before, but this article was helped to clear it all up in a simplified document. next, the quizes were excelent. I particularly enjoyed the quiz that wouldn't show the answers, you simply had to change them inorder to find out what you got wrong. Finally, I thought the Zimmerman Note traslation was interesting. We had learned about the note in AP US last year, and of its importance in American involvment in the war, but I don't think i've ever actually read the tellegram. Thanks for all the helpful stuff!

irollison said...

After taking a couple of quizzes and exploring the literature of the time, I gained a clearer perspective of Europe during World War I. The language used in the Zimmerman note showed the reality and demands of war, while the poem portrayed a more emotional side of war.
I also found the BBC's articles on shell shock interesting. Reading the first and second hand accounts of victims during and after the war brought to light the reality of war. Knowing of several people in our community that suffer from post-tramatic stress disorder, reading about the realities of war can only begin to help me understand the trials of war.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed BBC's shell shocked site, it was really interesting to see what life was like in the midst of a huge war. I also took some quizzes, in addition looked at the blog on the causes of World War I.