Friday, February 6, 2009

Vacation Imperialism Work

Vacation Work - You are responsible for Imperialism! Use your chapter and Mercado's Notes. Please Define the words in Mercado Packet and answer questions 1-3. The questions do not have to be essays just quick answers like in your spec sheets. If you can you should listen to Stip's 8.3 Lecture. Enjoy and see you when you get back.

http://stipteacher.net/apeuro/appodcasts/index.htm- Please listen to at least on PB Podcast and comment. (sec 8.3)
Fun Reading not required- Congo one might be interesting to yo.
http://www.britishbattles.com/zulu-war/rorkes-drift.htm - Use this for reference of British Battles
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/battle/battle.htm - Battle Article
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/dequinc1.htm Opium Eater
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4429064 Congo - Check this out

3 comments:

mbownes said...

I listened to the Old/New Imperialism podcast. I wrote my thoughts as I listened to the podcast.
This guy is crazy, he is totally obsessed with the british empire cartoon on his screen. I think he is very A.D.D. I do like how he teaches with analogies to real life and how he lightens up the class with jokes but you still learn stuff. He tells a sweet story about Dr. Livingston and Henry Stanley. He goes in depth about the important people.
Overall i liked the podcast but he continuously goes off crazy like on the topics. I did learn alot baout how Britain tried to take over AFrica and such. He also read a poem that Nick might like called The White Man's Burden. Just kidding Nick.

Anonymous said...

I listened to both the old/new imperialism podcast and the Asia and Africa Imperialism podcast and I found both of them to be very useful learning tools. Stips is a good teacher, it seems from the podcasts, and he keeps the lectures interesting with jokes and always connecting it to modern times. I like how he sticks closely to the mercado notes so it makes it easy to follow and he does a good job of connecting the notes together and making it easier to understand. One of the things I liked best was that he actually read the "white man's burden" poem. In the end I found the podcasts very helpful and the fact he even made a review was icing on the cake. The review he made was probably the most useful thing because it helped me test my comprehension of the notes and his lecture. Overall, I feel the podcasts are a great review tool or an adequate substitute if we miss one of your lectures.

jmartin said...

I also listened to the Old/New Imperialism podcast. Stip is definitely pretty crazy but he's got a lot of good stuff to say and I agree with Bosco that he does really well connecting everything in the chapter. He's pretty funny and has interesting stories that relate so it's easy to listen to his lectures.