http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Assass.html Alexander II goes out with a bang!
http://www.uncp.edu/home/rwb/Ems%20Telegram.htm Ems Dispatch
http://www.h-net.org/~german/gtext/kaiserreich/speech.html Iron and Blood
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REnightingale.htm Florence Nightingle
http://www.pvhs.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/revs/1848time.html 1848 Time Line
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RUSsunday.htm Bloody Sunday
http://college.cengage.com/history/west/mckay/western_society/7e/students/index.html Practice Test Chapter 23 and 25
http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/BIOS/dreyfus.html Dreyfus Affair
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/ Dreyfus Account
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2005/08/15/2003267815 Russo-Japanese War
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
i read the article on florence nightengale.She was an outstanding person and fought hard for what she wanted. i think that it is really cook how she reformed the way soldiers were taken care of. I think this was the right thing to do because they risk their lives fighting for their country and then to get treated so poorly after is ridiculous. i am curious as to why she didnt agree with the idea of women doctors, becasue she would of been a great doctor.
i read the artical on the Russo-Japanese war. I thought it was very interesting how relitivley unknown Japan could defeat Russia so decisivley. I also thought that it was cool that Japan won every battle on land and sea
I just read the Ems Dispatch. Bismarck was obviously very clever when he rewrote his King's letter. Of course, he was doing this FOR Germany's unification and betterment as a whole, but it must have been very illegal at the time. I can only imagine Napoloen III's response.
i read the article on bloody sunday. wow. i thihnk it is unbelievable that the government militia would shoot all those innocent workers, they were only protesting! i also found it interesting that one person said it would be alright to die if he got to see the Tsar, which shows how much pride and faith they held with their leadership who ultimately led to there demise. i think the whole thing is pretty sad.
i also read the article on Bismark's "Iron and Blood" speach. Bismark is quite a character. the way the article is written emphasizes the way that Bismark made his speach, with threats and malice and lots of drama. i think with the point he was trying to make about Poland, these theatrics probably helped him out. he is such a master manipulator, but he did achieve his goals through unethical means. i wouldn't mess with Otto von Bismark.
The Japanese victory in the Japanese-Russo War signified that they were at the same level, if not more powerful than Westernized nations. Russia suffered a humiliating defeat to Japan, this was the first time an Asian nation had defeated a Western nation/region since the Mongols. This was considered the first "modern war", using trench warfare for the first time. They used weapons such as machine guns, rapid-fire howitzers, barbed wire, armoured ships etc. Japan established itself and layed the ground work for war tactics in WWII. This victory against Russia proved to be an important one for Japan
I also read the article on the Russo- Japanese war. I thought it was very interesting to see how powerful Japan actually was so early on. They defeated one of the strongest armies in Europe and won every battle whether it be on land or sea. It is interesting to know that the way they attacked Pearl Harbor was the same attacked they used during this war. It is also interesting that a peace treaty was signed in Portsmouth NH, and 30 years later the Japapanese would be attacking our country.
I read the article about the assassination of Alexander II. I find it strange that he chose to go to the parade when he was aware of the threat of an attack on him. His decision to get out of his carriage after someone threw a bomb at it was even crazier, though. Alexander II's poor decison making led to him being assassinated just as Melikoff thought might happen. I was surprised that the terrorist Emelianoff came to help the wounded Alexander, even though he only did it so as to avoid arrest.
I felt that looking at the timeline would reinforce what we learned in class. It definitely showed how much change was occuring at the time throughout Europe with the wars in France, Austria, Prussia and Italy to name a few. Not only was actual fighting happening but social and political reform was constantly happening too. I found it very interesting to learn about Bismarck's scheming and Italy's complicated unification. These two years probably have one of the largest amounts of war and revolution.
I read the Ems dispatch and found it to be very humerous. Bismark was very clever when re-writing the telegraph. What i can't believe is that Napoleon III actually took the bait i mean who says that someone has nothing more to say to an ambassador really?
I read the article on Florence Nightingale and I was very interested on how a woman with no parental support for her career could take advantage of her country’s circumstances and pursue what she wanted to do with her life. It seems strange to me that the hospitals for soldiers were not better sanitized, and that the soldiers weren’t being taken care of well. Without hospitality, the country is sending the message that the wounded soldiers are not worth saving, and are merely disposable. Florence Nightingale fought against this and managed to save a lot of lives by improving the conditions of the military hospitals. I agree that it is odd that she doesn’t agree with the idea of women doctors, since both doctors and nurses can save lives, and the more trained people who can perform medical duties, the better.
The second article I read was the one on Alexander II’s assassination. I agree with the person who wrote the article that it doesn’t seem fair that someone who did so much for reform in Russia was assassinated, and that another who didn’t help at all did not meet the same end. I found it noble of Alexander to get out of the carriage and tend to his wounded servants, but irresponsible too, since obviously he knew that the assassination attempt was directed for him. I also found it somewhat funny that a man holding the third bomb pretended to be an innocent bystander to avoid being hanged. It shows where people’s bravery really lies when they are faced with danger.
I read the articls on Bloody Sunday and the Russo-Japanese war. It was easy to understand why workers wanted their rights in Russia, and 150000 people agreed. It seems that Russia dealt with the same problem Britain did, where workers were groing unsettled over the long hours and small pay. The Russian workers marched to the Winter Palace on January 22, 1905, and called for an 8-hour workday. They also wanted to vote, and called for an end to the Russo-Japanese war. Maybe they knew Russia was losing. Nicholas II was in an unwinnable position, so he sent the police to attack them. Because that always works. I don't know why he didn't accept the terms and move on, and he paid the price.
As for the war, it seemed like Russia was initially winning, but Japan steamrolled later on and forced a surprisingly easy surrender in January of 1905. It's probably easily forgotten because it was fought on foreign soil, but this truly marked Japan's rise to becoming a world power.
I read the article on florence nightingale. She really seemed like an amazingly courageous woman. She had to battle so much throughout her life. From her parents dissapproval to her fight to be involved in the medical field she had been through a lot. This article shows just how far women have come. Mary Seacole was also a brave woman. She felt so led to help the soldiers that she would do anything to get where she wanted to be.
I cant even comprehend how horrible the hospitals for the soldiers must have been. I’m sure it was an appalling scene to witness. Its disgusting to think that after the sacrifices the men made that they would actually die from unsanitary conditions. Its ridiculous. For Nightingale to speak out the way she did makes her an incredible woman.
I also read the Russo-Japanese one. It is really a tragic war in that too many men died for nothing. The Japanese lost a lot of men even though they won every battle. Basically, new weapons were used in old stategies with ridiculously bloody results. What is even more tragic, however, is that Europe ignored the uselessness of trench warfare and archaic tactics exemplified in the Russo-Japanese war when WWI commenced. Had they paid attention and not forgotten about this war (as everyone has forgotten about it today), WWI wouldn't have been nearly as costly, Germany may not have been destroyed as badly and Hitler may not have risen out of the rubble to rebuild it. History repeats itself. Europe apparantly didn't care.
George Gapon started a union in Russia which quickly gained members. In 1904 when prices rose and real wages declined, over 110,000 workers went on strike. In hopes to acquire reduced hours, higher wages, and better working conditions, he formed a petition and went to the Winter Palace. There many were killed and injured as a result of attacks by the police. This shows the lack of a voice the Russian people had. While Nicholas II writes in his diary how sad it was that the workers were killed, I think he is more concerned with his protection and not having the people approach his palace with demands. The Russian people seem to be trying to do the things Europeans did in during the Industrial Revolution. However, they seem to be unsuccessful due to the leaderships resistence to change.
I read the article on Florence Nightengale. I found her story very interesting. She was born into a wealthy family and even though she had numerous impressive suitors but yet wanted to be a nurse and help others. It was impressive that it was her doing that would help form numerous rules for sanitation and the formation of the Army Medical College. Of course she did not just push these reforms, she actually went to Turkey and helped nuermous soliders. It'd be during the Crimean War where she got her ideas to improve military sanitation. However, its important to note that not only did she help improve the life and medical treatment for soliders, she also did a lot in promoting more equality for women. She was able to show how much change a woman could bring and she also wrote about the rights of women. I am curious though why when she was a nurse for the British in Turkey why she never imployed Mary Seacole. Mary Seacole seemed like a very interesting person who seemed simply devouted to helping others. She went to Florence in Turkey after being refused and was even refused again but then went and helped soliders on her own accord during the battle.
First I read the article on Dreyfus. Even though we haven't talked about antisemitism yet, I found this article very interesting, because it spoke of how corrupt the government of France could be. Even when the truth was staring them in the face, the people in power refused to see Dreyfus' innocence. This shows the trend in social morees that would lead to WWI.
I then read about Florence Nightengale. I had heard about Florence Nightengale before I read this article; she is a very famous woman,but I couldn't remember exactly what it was she did. Although what she did do with her life was very honorable, I think she was also a bit of a hypocrite with her refusal to support women doctors. I also don't understand why she refused Seacole's help. Seacole would have been a great asset to Nightengale's goals. I'm glad that Seacole was independent and didn't give up, so that she could contribute anyway.
I also read the article about the Ems Telegram. I liked reading about Bismarck's conniving method of initiating a war between the German states and France. The way he edited the telegram was very clever in that everything Bismarck said was essentially a part of the original text, only reorganized to sound much more hostile. Bismarck was obviously very good at manipulating things to his advantage.
I read more articles like the assination of Alexander II but I felt the Russo-Japanese was would be even more influential on Russia's future. Russia suffered a huge loos from the war and Japan showed its rise as a world power equal to all the imperialist countries that were carving up China. I did not know of the greatest importance for the war that was that it was a catalyst for revolution that happened in Russia and it'd take untill Soviet Russia to take back what they had lost. The war was important it dealt with some imperialist ideas, dealt with the rising power of china, and the events that lead up to WWII.
i found the information on bloody sunday on the spartacus site interesting. the article covers the workers reasons for the 1905 revolution and its aftermath. I was surprised to read that workers were not the only rebels to take part in the rebellions. Doctors,engineers, and lawyers created Union of Unions and called for a constituent assembly. University students and railroad workers went on strike. Rebellion even inspired sailors and the fire squad of the Potemkin, causing mutiny and the ships officers to be thrown over board. it is as if another french revolution sprang into action in Russia.
I read the Ems Dispatch article. That Bismark was really quite clever. The way he manipulated both the French and his own people was pretty risky on his part, but in the end obviously worth it. He must have been very confident the Germans would win a war against the French to make a move like that. Being in a situation like that have been pretty terrifying for Napoleon III, but he must of realized the unification of Germany was pretty much inevitable.
i also read about the Russo - Japanese war. This war was extremely important in history. Before this, no one really seemed to think of Japan as a real threat, but they proved themselves through this victory. This war is known mostly for the amount of deaths and the new tactics/ weapons used. This whole war was able to show what was to come from from WWII and if people had paid attention to the past many lives could have been saved.
The first article i read was the one about Alexander II. It's just kind of weird that someone like him can be killed trying to help other people when he already did that much for the country. If that was me in that situation i would of just left because the point was that people were trying to kill me. It's just so bizzare.
The second article i read was the Dreyfus affair. It's just really horrible that someone can be falsely accused of a crime because they are a minority. I'm glad in the end that he was proven innocent, but all of the stuff he went through just wasn't worth it. I'm also proud that people actually tried to help him fight for his innocence
Post a Comment