Friday, March 21, 2008

Ukrainean Holcaust

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mdzikovs/golod.html

5 comments:

Abby Horton said...

This site was really interesting. I find it odd how sometimes the only genocides that people think of is WWII. In reality our world has tried to wipe off of the map many different minorities. From the armanians in Turkey to the Ukraineans back in Stalin's time certain groups have been through a same ordeal as those people who were in the concentration camps in WWII. This site also reminds me too however how disgusting some people are like how the Iranian president does not believe that the genocide happened in WWII, he thinks it was all made up. It blows my mind that when there is actual historical documents that prove this event and people who surivived it, who could possibly make this up. Holocausts are disturbing and horrible to hear about but yet the part I find that is most disturbing is the fact that human beings could do this to each other.

CHILL said...

This artile is very startling to me. to have such a huge event in history seemingly go unnoticed by society is truely depressing. The magnitude of this event can be shown becuase it is nearly equivalent to that of the holocaust by hitler. This even occured only ten years earlier. Another way this even can be measured is that now the ukraine is mostly a Russian speaking and beucase of the lack of population they had to have people move in from russia.

adowning said...

I was very surprised by this site. Our book talks about Stalin's plan of collectivization of kulaks and other peasants, but by no means does it describe it this harshly and severe. I'm amazed to know that such a huge event in history is so covered up and unknown. Everyone knows about the Holocaust, but I bet a very small number in comparsion know the extent of Stalin's genocide. It is truly disgusting to see how people could put others through this pain and how any leader, Stalin, Hitler, and others, could place such ruthless laws on human beings.

JBolognani said...

I must admit i had no idea about this other "Holocaust" or genocide or whatever you want to call it. I knew Stalin was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people through hi secrect police and persecution of the kulaks. I guess it makes sensse that the people of Ukraine wouldn't want to give up their national identity to become part of the soviet and communist system.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the worst things is that the deaths were so inhumane that an accurate number of how many died is uncertain. It is such a sad thing that people not only had to suffer such a horrible death like forced starvation and then afterwards may just be lost in the numbers and never remembered. This is a tragedy in more ways than one.