Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chapter 18

http://education14.blogspot.com/2008/11/xi-education-during-enlightenment.html Education

Inductive vs Deductive 
 http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/dedind.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VS953hRXwY Art Heads
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/voltairebiography.html Voltaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvEq5KEhytU&feature=relatedBaroque as a weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWXP8670IQE Rem
http://members.tripod.com/~Nevermore/ctgfaq.htmhttp://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.com/2005/06/catherine-great-and-her-many-lovers.html Catherine the Great
http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/3301/3381043/flash_cards/index17.html Flash Cards
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1719defoe-women.htmlWomen
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/wesley/shorthistory.stm Methodist
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Mathematicians/Galileo.htmlGalielo Site
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ENLIGHT/SCIREV.HTM Scientific Revolution Site-Check out parts of it.
http://www.boisestate.edu/courses/westciv/science/ Nice Site to Click and Read
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/leeuwenhoek.html Von Leeuwenhoek
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/philosophers/pascal.htmlPascal
http://www.wsu.edu:8000/~dee/GLOSSARY/CARTES.HTMCartesianism
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/ NOVA Galielo Site

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison

2 comments:

Alli Carey said...

The first site that I went to talked about education and its advancement during the Enlightenment. It first started out by giving a brief background on Jean Jacques Rousseau saying that he was one of the most influential thinkers of the time. It then talked about the strides that were made in education at the time. The first thing that I learned from the article was that the ideas of the Enlightenment, also known as the Age of Reason, significantly impacted the American Revolution and the United States' early education policy. I also learned that its ideas influenced Benjamin Franklin to encourage utilitarian and scientific education. Finally, the Enlightenment also had its effects on another important American figure, Thomas Jefferson. He emphasized the importance of civic education in America. The article talked mainly about the effects of Enlightenment education ideas on the American culture.

The second site that I looked at was about inductive and deductive reasoning. I know what the two mean but I did learn a few things that I did not realize before. The first thing I learned is that inductive reasoning is more open-ended while deductive reasoning is mainly just about confirmation of a hypothesis. The second thing I learned was that in social research both inductive and deductive reasoning. Lastly, I learned from the article that the diagrams describing inductive and deductive reasoning form a continuous cycle when put together. The beginning of the site was a review for me but I did learn some new things that I hadn’t realized before.

Unknown said...

The first link I looked at gave a backstory on Daniel Defoe. He was from England and was a major advocate of woman's rights. He believed that women and men are very alike, so they should have equal rights, especially in education. I also learned that Daniel Defoe was imprisoned by Tories who were mad at him for writing "Shortest Way with Dissenters."
The next article I read talked about the enlightenment and three major educational reformers involved in it. The first was Rousseau, who believed children learn best with real world experience. The next was Pestalozzi, a swiss who thought children are naturally good and education should help to preserve that. The last was Froebel, who founded the first kindergarten in Prussia. He believed children should develop their creative nature.