Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chapter 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQBVE9BzYk Intro Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mgSPiAiBjU&feature=related Got good reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MdEp2Ppag&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQBVE9BzYk Renaissance Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qA6aX1Tfnw Ladies in Art

http://www.studystack.com/studytable-482 Great Art Review Site and Practice
http://www.paradoxplace.com/Church_Stuff/Popes_Renaissance.htm- Kind of neat to look at.
http://www.learner.org/interactives/renaissance/middleages_sub.html Renaissance Website

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073106925/student_view0/interactive_glossary.htmlText Book Glossary site to help out!
http://www.fresno.k12.ca.us/divdept/sscience/podcasts.html Dr. Sanderson's Podcasts

http://www.learner.org/interactives/renaissance/middleages_sub.html - I like La Renaissace on the side column.
http://www.teacheroz.com/renaissance.htm#maps

Map Games
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/country_europe_G2_drag-drop.html tough geo game
http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/euroquiz.html Easy Game
http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/europe.html Another Game
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072424370/student_view0/animated_maps.html#


http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/school-of-athens.html School of Athens 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First; I looked at the Youtube video talking about Renaissance art. I was especially interested about the comments on the Sistine Chapel. I knew Michelangelo painted the ceiling, but I didn't realize he hated painting and only did it when persuaded by Pope Julius II. The video also taught me that his paintings were 9 scenes from the Old Testament, and they told a story. I also didn't know that Raphael painted many of the walls of the Sistine Chapel. Even though the two were rivals, their artwork is connected in the chapel.
The second link I learned from explained the significance of Raphael's "School of Athens". I learned that the figures were meant to represent famous philosophers throughout history, with Plato and Aristotle in the middle. The painting is organized specifically, with mathematicians and philosophers concerned with more theoretical and abstract thoughts on the left while scientists and more down to earth thinkers on the right. I learned that Raphael used specific models for some of his figures too, such as using Michelangelo as a base for Heraclitus. Raphael also included himself in the painting behind the astronomers on the right side.

Unknown said...

The first link I ventured into was the video about renaissance art. In it, the creator discussed the main men of the renaissance: Raffael, Donatello, Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo. It was interesting to learn about how Michelangelo crafted his David. He crafted him not purely as a man of power, but as partly that and partly a teenage boy. I think he did this to give David a more human aspect. Also, I found it interesting to learn that Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel's ceiling after being forced by the pope. Finally, I found the most interesting fact to be the fact that Rafael worked with Michelangelo on the Sistine Chapel even though they were utter rivals. That struck me as profound that art united those two, and they ended up producing one of the most famous works ever.
The second article I read was the learner.org article on the entirety of the Renaissance. One of the facts that struck me the most was about explorers. I had no idea that exploration really began in the renaissance with more and more people becoming interested in the field. I also found it interesting how this tied into the beginning of the conquest of the New World. Hernando Cortez’s plunder of the Aztecan people was something I had heard little about. I also had no idea he was one of many to flock to the new world over gold. This renaissance gold rush was something I had never heard of. Finally, the sub-article on architecture really interested me. I learned about the reemergence of the Golden Mean, and how it helped form the backbone of the renaissance’s architectural style. I thought it was really neat how history constantly repeats itself. All together these were some very interesting articles.