Thursday, December 15, 2011

Napoleon

http://www.napoleonguide.com/ Great all around site for Napoleon
http://www.historywiz.com/toussaint.htm Toussaint
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/flash/n_time/index.html PBS Timeline and other things.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/soldier/page_1.html Article
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/standard/bio.html Quick Hitters
http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/napoleon/section9.rhtml Elba Escape
http://www.napoleonguide.com/sthelen.htm Life on St. Helena
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/battle_waterloo_01.shtml BBC Site bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtmlafalgar/index.shtml Animated Map
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtml Cool Stuff
http://www.withfriendship.com/quotes/Author-Napoleon-Bonaparte.php Napoleon Quotes
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/hs1000.htmlhttp://www.napoleonguide.com/ Napoleon Stuff
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/march-of-democracy.html Map of Democracy-Takes Time to load

19 comments:

Hannah K said...

The first site that I went to was about Napoleon in general, & then I clicked on the link that was about whether or not he was murdered. Up until recently, the high levels of arsenic in Napoleon's body seemed to be evidence of being murdered by French Royalists or the British. However, more recently people have said that the high levels of arsenic were not taken orally because if they had been, then his death would've been much quicker. It is more likely that the arsenic in his body came from things like hair products, wallpaper, ash from wood fires, or glue. It is now believed that he may have died from stomach cancer.

Hannah K said...

The second site I went to was about Napoleon's exile to, & then excape from, the isle of Elba. After he was dethroned, Napoleon was exiled to Elba where he was allowed to keep his title of Emperor & he got to rule the 12,000 inhabitants there. While he was there, he did work hard to improve Elba, but he was also secretly planning to return to Europe. In 1815 he escaped from his guards, slipped past interception from a British ship, & made it back to France. The French police that were sent to arrest him actually just ended up bowing before him, and he was welcomed back to Paris with a celebration. He then started to make minor reforms that promised a more liberal & democratic society. I'm confused as to how he was just able to get right back into power...didn't they kick him out?!

Bartlett said...

I read the first site and clicked on Napoleon's campaigns. Napoleon is one of the best generals in History. Having many different campaigns such as the first, second, third, and fourth coalitions, the Russian campaign, and the Peninsular wars. I think his greatest mistake that probably led to his eventual defeat and exile was the Russian campaign. During this campaign Napoleon brought an army of 500, 000 men to help bring the Russians back into line and frighten them. Bad idea. Napoleon failed to account that Russia is brutally cold in the winter and failed miserably beong forced to retreat. Only 20,000 survived.

Bartlett said...

Napoleon's escape from Elba is kind of funny. First he sneaks past the guards I mean come on your one job is to keep an eye on Napoleon and keep him captive. Next he goes back to France and instead of the police arresting him they kneel and pay their respects. it just shows what a powerful and respected leader he is that as soon as he comes back France immediately takes him back as ruler and discards of the recently reinstated Bourbon king. How funny would it have been to be at the Congress of Vienna when all the foreign powers who put Napoleon away found out he escaped? Of course though this escape was short lived and Napoleon was once again defeated, exiled, and eventually died in exile on St Helena.

Luke Robins said...

The interactive battle of Trafalgar Map gave me new insight it to naval warfare. I learned about a two attack tactics called a broadside, and a raking. The raking is more effective in that you attack either a ships bow or stern they other ship is not able to return fire. The map also gave a timeline of the day and showed how each ship traveled and interacted with other ships. One of the things i did not know was that Lord Nelson died as sea. The Map did not say how but I am assuming it was because of some kind of attack on his ship.

Luke Robins said...

Reading some of Napoleon's quotes gives me more of an idea of just how tough Napoleon was and how he would never accept anything less than a victory. One of my favorites was "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind." Here we get a sense of his his constant war mindset but at the same time he realizes that in order to have a successful army you have a brilliant commander. One of the others that stuck out to me was "A picture is worth a thousand words." This phrase is still used today and I had no idea that it was Napoleon who had said it. Though it doesn't give a description or context in which it was said, I wonder if it was about art or something different.

Keegan said...

I did the interactive battle simulator and played as Napoleon and the French. Due to my lack of cutting edge battle tactics I had depleted my troops before sundown and had to retreat. Although it was a poor showing on my part, the simulation gave a great background to the battle as well as a large amount of information as I was trying to give my best efforts in the fight.

Keegan said...

i read about the protagonists of the battle of Waterloo on The BBC's website. It was interesting to learn about the other people who were heavily involved in the battle, especially those on the side of the alliance. The commander of the Prussian army was 72 years old by the time Waterloo occurred. His name was Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher and he was the only person to have ever beat Napoleon more than once and he was able to keep good moral about the Prussian army. our 72 year olds are on retirement by a lake, and this guy was still kicking ass.

Keegan said...

The sparknotes about the escape from elba was very interesting. granted we haven't spent much time on him, I dont really have any prior knowledge about Napoleon and i didnt know that he was exiled. I find it cool that he was able to return to France despite of all of the scrutiny he was under. what was also interesting was that when he returned to france there were still those who wished he would be there leader, although that feeling did not last too long.

Anonymous said...

The first site for the French Revolution was the political cartoons for the french revolution. The first 7 cartoons were anti-royalist and 2 were pro-monarchy. This shows the prevelence of anti-monarchists and how the pro-monarchists were few in number. The anti-monarchist cartoons used the food shortage and the economic situation in their cartoons

Anonymous said...

The second site for the French Revolution I read were the accomplishments of the French Revolution. They made many leaps in democarcy and the rights of man though over the course of the revolution many were violated or were a farce. There were economic reforms though it only affected the land owners. Socially the Bourgeoisie took the postions of nobility and clergy but left the "common man" out. Religiosly, the revolution createda rift between the pope and france which napoleon healed later with the 1801 concordant.

Anonymous said...

The first article I read on Napoleon was the detailing of the soliders under Napoleon. It says that most of his soldiers were conscripts drawn from the lower classes which would make sense if you wanted a large army. Due to their lack of supplies nhis soldiers often mauraded. Napoleon outlawed looting in his army which is odd. Its part of soldering thoughout time to then. The loss of the nobility during the french revolution soldiers rose based on merit.

Anonymous said...

The second site on Napoleon that I read was about Tossaint the ex-slave who led Haiti to independence. As it turns out during the French Revolution Toussaint L'Ouverture helped the French eject the Spainsh and British colonization forces from Saint Dominique, leading him to expand on his military experience. In 1803 Napoleon, tired after the long years of war with Haiti granted it indepedence under Toussaints's leadership.

Hannah C said...

I read the BBC History animated ship thing. I find it very interesting that they would shoot from the side of the boat rather than the friend, but i guess that makes sense for movement and safety purposes. The battle begins with a long wall of the combined spanish and french fleets with two other fleets(nelsons, collingwoods) coming at them. Collingwood is the first to break through the fleet. He then goes into them instead of past them which i find a funny choice. Nelson finally makes his way in and a fierce battle begins. I am very surprised they both made it through. I cannot believe that french/spanish didn't win, they should have been stronger because they were fighting together.

Keegan said...

The page about toussaint was very interesting and my favorite to read. While we were talking about the french revolution we didnt' spend much time on the outside colonies of the french nation. it cool how he was able to organize a rebellion which was successful to the point of Napoleon giving him leadership over Haiti. Very intriguing and definitely my favorite for this chapter.

Hannah C said...

I read the quick hitter biography on Napolean. It was very informative and had a nice and esay way to learn about his life. He was born in Corsica and he was very shorthe was the fourth child and he was sent to Military School. He then took over when France was in turmoil,the directory was gone and Napolean would be soon. However things got too out of hand and Napolean was exiled to Elba and eventually killed. I think our Napolean video should be in here it is very informative- especially our lyrics.

Anonymous said...

I read about Napolean and St Helena. I thought the detailed record of the food rations was kinda weird. I was also a little confused about who was calling who 'your majesty'.

I also read about Napoleon'a armies. I thought that it was almost like a draft how people would go join the army or fear being kicked out of the country. Why didn't Napolean keep better dicipline over his army if he wanted to have a big army?

beirish said...

The first blog I read was about Napolean being exiled to Elba. I learned that while he was there he ruled over 12000 people and worked hard to improve their lives. He was guarded by Austrian and French guards but managed to escape and make his way back to England in 1815. When he got back to England he was warmly greeted and the people bowed down to him. However the middle class were unsure how to feel about his return.

beirish said...

The second site that I viewed was the one that contained the quotes spoken by Napolean. From these quotes I inferred that he was very hardworking and was all about the people working together in order to create a better world for themselves. He was about keeping a strong a strong army at all times and believed this could only happen if he was at war constantly.