Thursday, December 15, 2011

French Revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSod16wfgg Thanks Helen
http://www.thecaveonline.com/WORLDHISTORY/powerpoints/ArtofFrenchRevolution1.ppt.htm French Revolution Art Slides
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/horatti.html Neoclassicalism
http://thecaveonline.com/APEH/imagesoftheking.htm Political Cartoons of the FR
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/frrevaccom.html Accomplishments of the FR
http://www.constitution.org/fr/fr_drm.htmhttp://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/americanstudies/lavender/decwom2.htmlhttp://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/neocl_dav_marat.html Death of Marat
http://www.marxists.org/history/france/revolution/marat/index.htm Marat
http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/ Site to check out
http://www.britannia.com/history/euro/1/2_2.html FR overview
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/games/walk/walk_frenchrevolution.html FR GAME
http://www.lonympics.co.uk/French%20Revolution.htm List of things to think about
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/frenchrevolution.htm Start of the FR
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/louis.htm Louis XVI Death
http://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/whm2003/fr_rev_wmn.html Women and the FR
http://www.blastmilk.com/decollete/guillotine/ Guillotine

11 comments:

Hannah K said...

The first website I read about was the list of achievements of the French Revolution. This is what I got out of it: 1.5 million French serfs were freed (for good?),it upped spending on welfare (what money? wasn't France in debt already?), it freed 10,000 African slaves in France, it started female emancipation, it legalized Deists & allowed them to be important (what does that mean?),it freed gypsies (haha), it legalized high heels for lower classes, and the one I found very interesting/surprising was that it legalized gays so they were not punished anymore. Aren't we still having trouble with that today?

Hannah K said...

The second site that I visited was the Youtube video that pretty much gave an overview of what the French Revolution was. It started with the Enlightenment & how that's what sparked the new ideas. Then he talked aobut Louis XVI & Marie Antoinette & their extravagence when France was starving. Then the three Estates were talked about and how it was completely unfair, & pretty ridiculous, to have so many people in the Third Estate & so little power for them. Finally it talked about the Storming of the Bastille, the Declaration of the Rights of Man, and the womens' march. It's a good video, the guy's a little crazy but fun, and it helped tie stuff up for me.

Bartlett said...

The site about David's "Oath of the Horatti" was interesting in how it explained that this picture along with others helped to inspire the people of the revolution. this painting in particular promotes discipline and loyalty to one's state as veing heroic. This painting epitomizes Neoclassicism And embodies the political dream for France. Neoclassicism was a huge force in terms of propaganda inspiring the common people to take part in the revolution. I do find it humorous that it was Louis XVI who commissioned the painting instead of the revolutionaries. The message is clear though, to die for one's country is heroic.

Hannah C said...

I watched the youtube video with the funny guy who talks a little fast. This video is keeping me engaged because he moves around so much and I think it helps to hear things with an upbeat attitude like he has. He has mentioned that the French love food many times, which I suppose I would agree with but it's not something I've thought about. He also mentions how upset the peasants are because the rich Louis XVI and Marie have there extravagent lifestyles and the rest of the french population are living in dirt. It seems so very unfair that the third estate has to pick up all the slack from the clergy and nobility, and shouldn't they be kind and giving if they are the big mature important people? I do think that it was reasonable for the third estate to all come together and meet. This was a very informative video

Bartlett said...

I read the site about the beginning of the French Revolution. It seemed to me that two main events that ignited the revolution could have been avoided. First Louis XVI locks the third estate out of the estates general meeting, then sends troops to Paris to keep order but ends up spooking the people into storming the Bastille. Of course the revolution more than likely would have happened either way because Louis was just an inept ruler but it may have delayed this bloodshed. Basically an incapable monarch, a bad economy, the starving poor, and things out of the state's control such as crop failure led to one of the bloodiest revolutions in European history.

Luke Robins said...

After watching God and Grain: The French revolution part one, I wasnt surprised that Helen was the one to discover it. This man/boy/teacher really condenses the the first part of the revolution so you get a basic overview, which I find to be helpful but when test time comes around I think differently. Despite the brief statements my attention was kept by is very informal diction, and quick sentences ( most of which he did in one breath). One of the things I learned that I didn't know was that the women that stormed Versailles did so because the queen was hoarding grain.

Luke Robins said...

The List of Achievements of the French Revolution really opens my eyes as to how much more was at stake then just the rights of the 3rd estate. Some of the outcomes I didn't know about were: it boosted life expectancy(because people weren't getting guillotined on a daily basis), it sped up German trade, deciphers hieroglyphics (enlightenment?), invented the tin can(wut), and legalized the poaching of mushrooms. While most of these are pretty obscure there were some that just plan didn't make sense. For instance: "freer Gypsies" does that mean they have gypsies more rights, or that they were allowed to be free in whatever they did. The other that made no sense at all was " Helps Corsica, suppresses it's badness" I honestly have no idea what that even means.

Hannah C said...

I read/viewed the political cartoon page. I like learning in different ways then just reading and cartoons is a great example of that. Most of the cartoons were about Louis XIV and/or nobility in general, there was saying the Louis XIV was in trouble but Marie was taking all the blame. What I would like to know is people of what social class wrote these? How were they published and to whom and where? Considering most of them seemed to favor the third estate I would assume it was someone from there class, but wouldn't it have to be someone of power if this is all being published? Or perhaps they were a "town" leader such as those who began the towns separate meetings.

Anonymous said...

I read about the death of Marat. I was interested in reading about the painting made by his friend David after his death. He made the painting more idealistic as opposed to what the scene actually looked like and painted out of memory. I found it strange that they kept the jesus-like painting of him after his death when they were challenging the church.

I also looked at the website that had the cartoons giving a timeline of the revolution. I thought that some of the cartoons didnt really look like what the captions said they were suppose to be. I was amused with how the opinion of the kings changed. With Louis they praised him, but then they had other kings walking a tight-rope.

beirish said...

The first site that I looked at was the youtube video about the French Revolution. It talked about the storming of the Bastille and how from May-October of 1789 France went from a crumbling monarchy to a country where armed peasant women could put the king under house arrest. It also talked about the three estates and how the first two do not pay taxes and the third make up 98%. Overall it was a very helpful video and I think you should put more of his videos on the blog.

beirish said...

The second blog that I looked at was about the accomplishments of the French Revolution. After reading this I learned that with every thing that they accomplished there was something that they did not accomplish along with it. There were accomplishments in religion, politics. society, and economics. These accomplishments were very slight.