http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VS953hRXwY Art Heads
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/voltairebiography.html Voltaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvEq5KEhytU&feature=related Baroque as a weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWXP8670IQE Rem
http://members.tripod.com/~Nevermore/ctgfaq.htmhttp://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.com/2005/06/catherine-great-and-her-many-lovers.html Catherine the Great
http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/3301/3381043/flash_cards/index17.html Flash Cards
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1719defoe-women.html Women
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/wesley/shorthistory.stm Methodist
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Mathematicians/Galileo.html Galielo Site
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ENLIGHT/SCIREV.HTM Scientific Revolution Site-Check out parts of it.
http://www.boisestate.edu/courses/westciv/science/ Nice Site to Click and Read
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/leeuwenhoek.html Von Leeuwenhoek
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/philosophers/pascal.html Pascal
http://www.wsu.edu:8000/~dee/GLOSSARY/CARTES.HTM Cartesianism
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/ NOVA Galielo Site
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison Can't get there from here solved
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrisonTime Time TimeYour turn, find me an interesting You Tube Clip or article, if I like it, I will post it and
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Voltaire valued the freedom of thought greatly. It was interesting to learn of all the controversy he had to face when he published all of his writing. Although the controversy was no different than the controversy any other intellectual during this time period faced, voltaire traveled to other places in order to be able to think freely. It was also interesting to learn that he was a poet as well as a play write. He would definitely fit the renaissance bill.
After I read about Catherine the Great & her many lovers (and I had nothing significant to say except, Wow!), I watched the Youtube clip about Baroque art. I learned that art was very important to wealthy people because it gave them an air of importance to their visitors, without them even having to say anything or explain; people could just see how impressive one was by the artwork. I also learned that Baroque art was characterized by being super dramatic, showy, and could include paintings, sculptures, architecture, and even dance. The video also talked about art being a weapon because people would be scared to rebel against something so powerful; if the art was that great, the fighters for the aristocracy must be great too. I don't really believe this though, because many people still did rebel against the aristocracy, and I don't think that the artwork would've stopped them.
I read Daniel Defoe's piece about the education of women. It was very interesting, and it really surprised me because this was a man writing in the 17th/18th century about the limitations of women and how they were unfairly seen as inferior. I didn't know men actually stuck up for women and got their views published! He made a point that women were always seen as unintelligent, but who can blame them when all they're taught is to sew and clean; if men were taught the same things, then they probably wouldn't be as bright either! He just talked a lot about the unfairness of it all and how women should be given more opportunities than they were. He wanted women and men to live as companions.
After reading the article about women I was very intrigued to hear how women were bred. For centuries we were taught to sew and stitch and some day become a loving wife who would stay loyal to her husband. Women have the ability to learn just as much as men do and when they are educated they are worth even more. The author of this article states that women are quicker than men and have a better sense of wit. We are capable of intelligent conversation when given the chance to express ourselves.
Before I read the article about Leeuwenhoek I had no idea what his background as a child was. He was not educated and he came from a family of tradesmen. I was impressed that he was curious about everything and therefore taught himself numerous crafts. He created over 500 telescopes although only 10 survive in the modern world. The compound microscope that he created is similar to the ones we see in modern society. I also learned that Leeuwenhoek was the first to see the living sperm cells in animals.
I read about Antony van Leeuwenhoek and it was interesting how a guy who was not wealthy, educated at a university, or able to speak more than one language could become a very prominent figure in Scientific History. Although his microscopes were not the first, his were able to magnify objects larger and clearer than his predecessors. His accomplishments of discovering bacteria, free living and parasitic protists, sperm cells, blood cells, etc lead to him becoming a member of the Royal Society. His researches caused other scientists to start studying in this area as well.
I read about Volaire. I think it is funny how he thought England was better than France despite being French. With all the hatred between these nations Voltaire liked England in spite of this. Voltaire must have really believed in what he was saying because to take all that abuse shows dedication and conviction. He also was a big reason people stopped believing in the divinity of the church, and who could blame him after all of the injustices and malpracices committed in and before his lifetime.I found his wit humerous, my favorite was: I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous" And God granted it. Voltaire was a smart man who vehemently opposed cruelty and repression preaching for freedom of thought and toleration.
On the site about Catherine the Great I learned more about how Catherine would choose her lovers. Its like they had to pass what is our modern military screening of mental and physical health just to become one of her lovers. It seems like a lot of work just to be her lover.
On the NOVA site about Galileo I learned more about his improvements to the telescope. Many improvements had to be made to telescopes to create a clearer image. Newton solved one of te problems with telescopes; they had no color. He wrote a paper explaining colors and light.
Other than having a completely outrageous name, Blaise Pascal was a cool dude. He is familiar to me because of Pascal's triangle which was based off of observations made by the man himself. What i found most interesting about him in his bio was his outlook on believing in a God. The way that he could understand that while believing in a God brings happiness and relaxation there could be no possible consequence for not believing in one.
Using the flashcards were a helpful way to get ready for this test. It was nice to see how well our terms guided followed these flash cards. nothing like a another refresher study tool to help simulate those Ap Euro brain cells.
The Youtube Clip on Baroque art as a weapon was rather misleading. I was hoping to hear a lecture about certain paintings and how their messages influenced the actions of kings and queens. But instead what I got was two minutes of overview of the architecture of palaces with sentences... that kept using ellipsis'... to try and make it seem... much more interesting and deep than it actually was... Even at the end the only conclusion reached was that the elaborabte palaces were designed to show people that " resistance is futile." I dont really understand that conclusion was reached... BTW (by the way) the song used was the Imperial march... from star wars.
I read the article on Catherine the great and her many lovers. She went took many steps to ensure they were disease free such as having the royal doctor check them, putting them through an interview, and a test run. I wonder if the child she had during her marriage with peter was her lovers or was peter? If it was then it was a Romanov, but if not then The romonov dynasty ended with the murder of Peter the 3rd.
I listened to the baroque art and the aristocracy. The nobility funded baroque art as a means to demonstrate power and control and did so by commishing baroque art. Some qulaties of barque are are drma and grandur in the art forms. Archeticturely Barque places are bulit around entrances of courts, grand staircases,and reception rooms.Baroque was used as a kind of psychological affect on the masses to dismiss any thought of rebllion.
I find it very interesting that in the baroque art and the aristocracy video they are presenting art as a from of power and aristocracy which I would have never guessed. I dont find this to be too informing, it kind of just repeats what it says. However it did inform me that art was used as a form of aristocracy because it was so dramatic, they did this to impress visitors and reassure those that they were in power. Big rooms were meant to look daunting and imporant. It makes sense and I find it very cool that architecture was so important!
I read about Catherine the Great & her many lovers which is quite vulgar and detailed. I find it odd that Elizabeth gave Catherine permession to have a lover, even though she was doing it to gain an heir. This website is rather odd and i kind of wish i had read a different one but i am running out of time! I find it very odd that everyone knew she had so many lovers and that it was fine. I thought this whole age was all about the "virgin" and such? So this is kind of like a brothel but reversed? or a pimp? she tests them out and then gives them roubles (money). She kept pictures of all of her lovers on her walls like a little black book. weird.
Post a Comment