http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/ Dr. Sanderson's Essay's 4,6,7,13,14 Click on Wiki on the left side to access essays
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/charlesI.htm Charles I Execution
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/londonfire.htm Great Fire in London
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/sunking.htm Inside Louis Court
http://www.answers.com/topic/oliver-cromwell Cromwell - Pick One Reading.
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/exh_gfx_en/ART29281.html Gunpowder Plot
http://www.show.me.uk/gunpowderplot/children_torture.htm Gunpowderhttp://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/glossary/prides-purge.htm Pride's Purge
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7221/antisemitism.htm Anti-Semitism
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~zhenka/054.html Stenka Razin
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/history/peter1st.asp Quick Hit on Peter The Great
http://hem.passagen.se/uscygnus/CharlesXII.html Charles XII
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ 4th of July Britain Style
http://www.geocities.com/traditions_uk/bonfire.html Bonfire Night
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ Bonfire Night
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/wilhelm_i_and_the_potsdam_giants Potsdam Giants. http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/W.Europe/W.Europe9.htmlhttp://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/history/events/dates/ch5.shtm Battle of the Boyne
http://www.geographia.com/russia/moscow02.htm Kremlin
http://polish-baltic-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_false_dmitris_of_russia Dmitri Stabbed. (Age?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozvnMZ7Jq4http://www.pptpalooza.net/ Look at the Baroque
quizlet review is set up undr PRHSAPE. There are three sets but I can't promise you that there are not any spelling errors. I put it together quick like and when I get a chance will fix anything you tell me to. Oh the password to get in is = lambo http://www.quizlet.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
I find it very surprising that Charles I is viewed as such a horrible leader. I feel like he should've been good, since his father James I was decent, and that he should've learned something by growing up in that family. But, it is what it is and Charles was not a great leader - the whole Short Parliament, Long Parliament, and defeat by Oliver Cromwell proves that. The website on Charles's Execution is pretty interesting...it tells a little about Charles, and then goes into an account of an anonymous observer that watched Charles get beheaded. They watched the whole thing and then soaked up his blood! Gross.
I am always amazed at Peter the Great and how much he was able to accomplish. Where did he get his money? It seems like he's able to just do whatever he wants, no matter what the cost! He sent his men to Europe to get the best educations possible, he just moved Russia's capital to St. Petersburg because he wanted to, he completely reorganized the government, and he built the great Russian army and navy that we still talk about. I also find it interesting that he would get in with the laborers and work with them when he thought they were working too slow...he wasn't too good for hard work. Yeah, he was a little cruel, but it goes along with the Machiavellian stuff...you have to be somewhat disliked if you want to be an effective ruler.
"The story of King Wilhelm I of Prussia is perhaps one of the more odd and fascinating tales of history – the king of story that would make an interesting film or work of creative non-fiction, though in either case it would be most likely end up a comedy." So true! I just find the giant thing of Wilhelm's to be so weird! It all started because his father let him command a single regiment when he was younger, so from then on he wanted to have the best army that he could. His men had to be at least 5'11", and there are records of his largest men being around 7'. If you were a tall man during this time, you pretty much had no choice but to recruited into his army...even fathers were given great rewards for producing tall sons. Since the men were forced into this service, morale wasn't exactly the best among the giants. However, they eventually drew the line when Wilhelm proposed a machine that would stretch the men to be even taller. The one benefit the giants did have though, was that they never actually went to battle...they marched to cheer Wilhelm up and he showed them off, but they didn't actually have to worry about dying in battle.
Despite the 5th of Novemeber passing I was surprised to learn several new facts about Guy Fawkles that I had never known before. First I had no idea that he was Spanish much less a spanish solider. The movie V for Vendetta portrays him as an English man, but then again it is just a movie. The second interesting fact is that he was not the leader of the original the plut. The scheme was devised by Robert Gatesby who was killed by government officials. Lastly I did not know that confessions of one of the conspirators is on desplay at the Globe Theatre.
One of the things we never study is the culture of time periods. We get so caught up in the important dates we sometimes skip over important cultural movements of inventions. Though we did cover the renaissance we didn’t really get to see much more than the art and architecture. This baroque music was a refreshing way to account for music of the time period. While the person that uploaded the music described the music as simple and neat it would be interesting to read more about the types of dances set to this music and how it evolved from the baroque period to the composers like Brahms and Abrahams.
One thing that always interests me is how certain websites describe different people. For example Saint-Petersburg.com describes Peter the great as an experienced army officer, navy admiral, and skillful shipbuilder, but he because tsar at 10 so these are all trait he must have learned during the course of his reign and not skills he had prior to becoming Tsar. But I must say that he does seem to be the first Tsar to give Russia the very rough and tough reputation it has today. His constant need to modernize Russia by means of new arts and craft lead Russia to become a great power of Europe. The other interesting thing is that he declared himself Emperor of Russia. This is just strange has their leader is the a Tsar, I wonder if there are any significant difference between the two.
I read Wilhelm I and the Potsdam Giants and it was strange. The accounts and quotes all lead me to believe that Wilhelm was not all there. I think the funniest part is he trained them to be in his army but they never fought ending up to just be his toys. Not to mention the fact that he was so obsessed with getting tall soldiers he actually kidnapped tall men and offered large rewards for them. Overall Wilhelm I was just insane.
Dimitri was a very unlucky kid. First his father dies, then he is exiled at two, and several years later is killed in a "darts accident". Also after the rise of the first false Dimitri wouldn't people not be as accepting of the second false one instead of more. At least the third Dimitri wasn't as widely believed, or else the Russians are just gullible. And come on can't these people come up with their own ideas to take the throne instead of copying eachother.
I think the Pride's Purge just shows that the monarchy was not the only corrupt part of government in England. In fact New model army was more biased in terms of religion than the monarchy was thought to be. Also purging Parliament was very corrupt because they were essentially rigging Parliament to do as the new model army wanted under Cromwell such as finding Charles I guilty. The Pride's Purge makes you think about whether the regime under Cromwell was really that much more righteous than Charles I was. But I suppose the people got what they wanted,the removal of their king.
I read the eye witness to history report on the court of Louis XIV. It detailed how as he went to visit the comamder for the holland campaign the cook screwed up a meal. The cook went on to say that the meal severly dishonored him and at the end of the account it is said he propped a sword against his door and ran at it nont once, not twice but three times and propmtly died.
I read about the Kremlin. I knew it had an aresenal that housed all of russia's national treasurses and a giant cannon and bell called the tsar bell but I didnt know that the history of its artifacts and parts of the kremlin went further back then its creation. I also didnt know that much of the kremlin had to deal with orthodox christianty and that there were multiple cathedrals and churchs within its walls
I read the article on the Potsdam Giants and Willhelm I of Prussia. He had a weird adoration for "his" giants. I went to great lengths to get these giants from kidnapping to physically stretching out people. I dont think it would have been very perposterious to think he actually would have bred people to make them taller. What even weider is that he never had them actually participate in battle, just drill and they were just for show.
After reading this article I am very disturbed at the fact that the people would actually take pride in perserving the kings blood in viles and other storage devices. That's just wrong. I find it weird that Charles I turned out to be such a bad ruler when his father was fairly good. I think it almost seems like he didn't have a fair chance when he took the throne so it was hard for him to try and please the people. As far as his exectution goes I think it is funny that he had a whole conversation with the executioner before his death.
The article about William I, or Wilhelm I as it is spelled in the article, gives a comical background of his creation of the Potsdam Giants. William dearly loved his army of giants and decided against ever entering them into combat. The feeling he felt for this soldiers was unorthodox because it was such a strong attraction. He even went to lengths as to make sure that babies were being produced by large men and women so he would always have recruits for his army. I guess being a member of this branch of William's army would be ideal, as they are treated like royalty and never threatend by anyone... If only I was a wee bit taller.
I have always been aware that there was a fire in london, but i never was really aware of how much it actually affected the city of london. Previously i thought that the globe theatre had been lost to the fire of london, but after learning more in brit lit, as well as from this reading i now know that is not the case. What amazes me as that the city seemed unprepared for an event like this, which is inevitable in any large city. Luckly enough, the fire didnt spread across the bridge or they would have been stranded!
The article about Guy fawkes and Bonfire night is also interesting. It is funny that people in england celebrate stopping his attempt to blow up parliament as we do gaining our independence. I used to think that people were celebrating guy fawkes attempt at destroying parliament but now i am aware that it is quite the opposite. People even resort to burning dolls or effigies that represent Guy.
-If Peter the Great forced Russia to change so much even though they didnt want to, why didnt they revolt against him? How was he able to tax them and work them as heavily as he did without encountering opposition? I think its impressive how much Peter the Great was able to do even after his parents were killed.
-How long did Guy Fawkes and his conspirators plot to blow up parliament? I think that they should have been like Dumbledores Army and make the conspirators swear to secrecy so that they wouldnt be betrayed.
-I think its funny that Wilhelm went through so much work to get tall men even though he wouldn't send them into war. If he spent so much money on the tall army that just entertained him how did he have enough money to raise a real army prepared for battle?
I read the article about the Gunpowder Treason and found it interesting that they are still unsure about what happened that day in terms of how the king found out 10 days in advance. I also learned that Guy Fawkes was not in charge of the plot itself he was only responsible for setting off the explosives. I found it very grotesque the way they killed Fawkes and I am so glad that doesn't happen in today's society.
I think it is sad to hear about a little 8 year old being killed and I think it is really stupid the story he came up with about playing darts. I mean how stupid do people have to be to honestly believe that story. Very apparently. As far as the whole False Dmitri thing I mean come on, if he had been "dead" for years how could people possibly believe that he has come back to take the throne. The whole thing is a little strange if you ask me.du
I was surprised at how negative this first started out, and how they say King Charles was his own enemy. His bad desisions are what lead him to his own death, the abolition of the English monarchy and the civil war. I found it interesting that he was so awful when his father was king before him (and not a bad one) so he grew up with it. His short parliament and civil unrest caused him to be all over the place all the time and never making a good desision (because that would take time). Although it is quite clever that he wore two shirts, so you could not see him shiver and think he was in fear of death. Although he must have had some big effect on his people in order for them to all go back and soak up his blood.
I can't even imagine having even a little bit of power at age 10, nevermind being the King, as Peter the Great was. He was forced to share his throne with his brother Ivan and sister Sofia unti she was exiled and Ivan died. As it said in the video Peter was trying very hard to westernize Russia, he brought in new trades and people from more urban areas to try and help move along Russia's status. He was so succesful! starting the Northern War with Sweeden and winning, gaining more and more access to trade. He reorganized the goverment, introduced a new poll tax, got funding for an active foreign policy and many more. It's amazing to think he was so succesful and so young with little to now experience and then people like Charles were failures and they were much older and had more experience.
I am listening to the Baroque music, and I find it to be very calming. Not dull though, it doesnt but me to sleep but makes me feel happy. I want to dance like they did in the BBC Pride and Predjudice. It's a lot of violin and strings, no piano or drums, some wind instruments. The second song is even more upbeat and faster paced. I am curious to if they had orchestras? Did they perform in concerts? What social class played? They are all very beautiful and strong pieces, nothing boring, even the quiet ones are very intersting to listen to. They have a steady beat yet I feel as though it is always chaning, very different from today's music.
Post a Comment