Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 14 Reformation

http://www.ladyjanegrey.org/ Lady Jane Grey
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/maryqueenofscots.htm Mary Queen of Scots
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/punishment.htm Crime and Punishment Elizabeth
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/torture.htm Torture in the Tower
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/luther95.txt 95 Thesis
http://www.pbs.org/empires/martinluther/cheats.html 10 things about Martin Luther
http://wsu.edu/~dee/REFORM/LUTHER.HTM Great Quick Reference to the main people of the Reformation
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/alexanderVI.htm - Nothing but dirt here on Pope Alexander VI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/launch_gms_spying.shtml Game Mary Queen of Scots
http://tudorhistory.org/wives/ Henry VIII Wives
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/john-calvin.html John Calvin
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/john-knox.html John Knox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZIu4SEpz8 Baroque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134QfGNwP18&feature=related Baroque Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zxP4QqfG8&feature=related Baroque Art

18 comments:

Hannah C said...

I read the article on Crime and Punishment, I found that the punishments were rather harsh, it is true that many people were put in jail until a trail but many were brutal and short ending in prosecution. The greatest punishment as William Harrison describes it is so brutal it seems unhuman, How did anyone even think of a punishment so vulgar and cruel? Many people commited suicide, and I'm not surprised because thats better then being tourtured half dead until you die. I also find it very unreasonable that people were higly punished for stealing but not really punished for rape and abuse.

Hannah K said...

I read the page about Torture in the Tower of London, 1597. It was about Father John Gerard, who was a spy/Jesuit priest from Rome that was caught, held in captivity for three years, and then taken to the Tower of London. They were trying to get him to confess that his job was to overthrow Queen Elizabeth, but he endured their torture and didn't divulge any information. When he escaped from the Tower, he wrote a book about his adventures. It was cool because I visited The Tower this summer when I went to London, and I saw a lot of the torture devices that were there. Being at the Tower and reading this article shows how seriously they took torture back then, and how badly they treated Jesuit priests.

Hannah K said...

I read the 10 Things you didn't know about Martin Luther. I learned that he was not one of the best social role models! He advocated drinking alcohol heavily (because it got rid of one's despair), sleeping around was okay (because people should always be satisfied), and he was a little hypocritical about the whole relic issue (he had a lot at his own home). At the same time, Luther was also very into music, he was against hunting, and he believed in extreme repentence (one of his punishments was to lie in the snow through the night until he had to be carried back inside). Some of these facts are a little outrageous, though, so I'm not sure how reliable I believe this website to be.

Luke Robins said...

Reading the 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Martin Luther gave me some new insight on the creator of the Lutheran church. One of the most astonishing facts is that he repented so much, but at the same time openly condoned sex and drinking while still remaining celibate. As someone that confesses for up to 6 hours about the smallest of things openly expressed that is his comfortable with sexual acts and heavy drinking just seems a little strange, but then again he was the first one to break from the papacy. He was also regarded as one of the most brilliant musical composers before Bach. Again another very interesting fact that has seemed to have gone unmentioned in biographical videos and well as class notes, granted he was primarily concerned with the creation of his new religion. The final extra activity that Luther dabbled in was gardening. While spending most of his time and Wittenberg he developed a taste for gardening; producing great lettuces, melons, and berries.
Reading Torture in the Tower of London, 1597 did not really describe a whole lot about the kind of torture used in the 1500’s. The only torture that was described was the spy being shackled by his wrist and hanging there until he fainted. Gerard described it as being like all of the blood was running to his hands and fingers and it felt like it was oozing out his finger tips, but this was not the case. Other than that the article was mostly about the story of Gerard the spy, so it was not all that helpful in giving any information about the types of torture used.

Luke Robins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I read the 10 things you didn't know about Martin Luther and was really surprised to learn that he encouraged drinking and would openly talk about sex even though he was such a hardcore church reformation guy. I also played the Elizabeth Spying game which taught me more about Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots. I was interested to see how the message had been coded and how every question decoded another letter.

Hannah C said...

I read the Martin Luther 10 fun facts, and he was quite the rebel. He approved of drinking and sex which was not even thought up in the Middle Ages (well at least not sex). It was humorous how Martin Luther's wife escaped the nunnery through a fish barrel, also the fact that he married a nun was very rebellious. He was also very connected to nature it expalined he liked gardening, woodwork, and he was an animal activist. I feel as though Martin Luther was much beyond his time, his ideas seemed irrational then but they make a lot of sense now;.

beirish said...

I read the article about the Torture in the Tower of London in 1597. A priest from Rome was caught for being a spy and was held captive for three years until he escaped with the help from outsiders and remained undiscovered for another eight years. After reading this article it was interesting learning about the way people were punished. This priest was hung by his arms for hours and days. This was acceptable back then which is remarkable compared to the things we are allowed to do in todays yet at the same time I think that some of the devices used to torture people today are ten times worse and more painful as well.

beirish said...

I read the article about Crime and Punishment. I felt that after reading this article I have learned to think of our modern day punishments as not being as bad as I thought. Many small crimes are punishable by death during this time and not a quick death either. Many people were either pressed to death or beheaded or hung. These punishments were not thought upon as being inhuman but customary which is scary to think about.

Bartlett said...

I read about crime and punishment in the Elizabethan era. The people back then must have really enjoyed violence because a lot of those punishments, such as the Greatest Punishment, were a bit elaborate. It would make sense though that thieves were punished so harshly back then because property was one of the most important aspects of someone's life. That and because of the widespread poverty of the time thievery must have been common. It is also funny how people actually took the time to drive a stake through someone who killed themselves and therefore was already dead, that showed them.

Bartlett said...

After reading the ten things about Martin Luther I realized that he was a weird guy. For one he repented to the extreme, for instance laying naked in the snow until he had to be carried in. Secondly he approves of heavy drinking cause hey he does it, so why shouldn't everyone else. Then he goes on to say you can sleep around but only if you're not being satisfied by your spouse which seems to contradict him stating that you should strive to be a good spouse and parent. These facts just makes Martin Luther seem far from the perfect Christian.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I read the eyewitness to history on Pope Alexander VI. I leaned he sired Ceasre Borgia, the head of the mian family in the papal states: the Borgias. Always in need in money for a little political corruption and a littlehostile military takeover he funded it by selling cardinalships and indulgencieces. I think politically he had the right idea just not perosonally.

Anonymous said...

I read the 10 things you didnt know about Luther. I was mildly interested that Luther advocated heavy drinking. This is very opposite of the archtypical view of a priest. I also learned that his wife escaped a nunnery from a fish barrel. I also learned that he leaned woodcutting to supplement the trade of woodworking. I also learned hee was an ok gardener.
When i was reading I stroked my beard thoughtfully pondering what ramifications his support of alcholism had on his liver.

Anonymous said...

I read the ten things you didnt know about Martin Luther. This was very interesting cause it kind of gave you a back ground into who he actually was. The fact that he supported alcohol kind of surprised me because it heavily contradicted the priesthood he was in. Martin Luther supported some things condemned by the church and this gives us a look into the Lutheran church. to quote Dillon Bigl a student at PRHS "I stroked my beard thoughtfully pondering what ramifications his support of alcholism had on his liver." this shows how Luthers Alcoholism is viewed in modern society.

Anonymous said...

I read the article about about crime and punishment. This article did not surprise me but just shows the violence of the times and how the punishments could be very gruesome. One thing that did surprise me though was the fact that they would drive a stake through people that killed themselves just to make sure they were dead. Thieves though were the most punished because property was everything and stealing it was unnacceptable.

Keegan said...

I brushed up on my knowledge of John knowx as i thought my facts were sub-par. turns out most of what i said was on the website about John Knox. I just found it interesting how he was dragged into all the messes that he was. the fact that he was not killed for all of the things he did against the christain church interests me and i found it hard to believe.

Keegan said...

The segment about the the dirt on Pope Alexander the VI continued my feeling of contempt for the Borgia family. He was one of the most corrupt of the church members in a very corrupt era of the church. it is hard to believe that the church was able to hold as much power as it did for as long as it did.