Monday, August 29, 2011

Chapter 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B2JP0pIRDk&NR=1 Part of a Documentary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98H2E9JWuY Henry V Film Clip of a muddy battle field. Bloody
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/agincourt.htm 100 Years War
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/agincourt.htm Battle of Agincourt
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/plague.htm Plague
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/flagellants.htm PlagueFor more information on Hus's life, read the short but informative article at

Next Link is about Hus and the one below is a glossary-Tech Issue-Sorry!
http://www2.kenyon.edu/projects/margin/hus2.htmhttp://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073106925/student_view0/interactive_glossary.html Text Book Glossary site to help out!
http://www.answers.com/?nr=1&lsc=true Can't find the answer, look here.
http://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php about becoming a Saint!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTyOf8OCKg How to shoot a long bow
http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/war_of_roses.html War of the Roses

16 comments:

Keegan said...

The summation of the Battle of Agincourt paired with the scene from the movie on youtube gave me an understanding of what fighting during the war was like. The visual representation of the struggles of the French were enough to frustrate the watcher. The French should have won the battle but the English escaped because of sheer luck and circumstance.

Hannah K said...

It's hard to believe that up to 50% of people could've died from the plague. How do you recover from that?! Economically and socially (emotionally), I feel like it's a miracle that anyone survived. The three forms of the plague also make it seem like it was unavoidable...you're either going to get it from breathing the same air as someone else, touching them, or getting bit by a flea. There's really nothing you can do, which is terrifying.

The website also mentioned something about the changing of morals during this time...noble women would completely expose themselves because they needed their tumors to be taken care of, and sometimes they would be exposing themselves to men. The website said that this was when the surviving women started to have looser morals. No! The women were sick and needed to be taken care of! They were probably so out of it and they just wanted to live, so I really don't think that it's fair to say that they had looser morals. They just wanted to get better.

Hannah K said...

On becoming a Saint:

It's difficult! I think long ago it was much easier, because they would just kind of declare it for someone if they believed that person to be worthy. Now, there's a whole process that has to be gone through...a miracle has to be performed by the dead person! All to become a Saint in the Catholic church.

I feel like the Saints are an extension of God. Since God is harder to believe in because most of us haven't actually seen or lived with Him, it's better to have the Saints. They're easier for everyday people to connect to, and yet they still make the people feel like they're religiously involved with someone.

I like the stories about the Saints. Saint Christopher's is especially interesting, even if he is just a myth from a long time ago.

Hannah C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah C said...

I just watched the video on the longbow, (I love the videos on the blog because I am a visual person). My first thought was how big it was and it seems very awkward to have to carry around, while hunting and especially in battle. It also took him a bit to put in a new arrow, and while doing that you could easily be shot. War and fighting was so important back then, and when he talks about how people used to practice using there longbows for two hours after church one can understand how seriously they took it. Although on the other end if you don't practice using that thing, I can't imagine trying to use it while under the pressure of war. Did they carry those on their backs? As well as the arrows? I have seen that in movies but did they really carry them like that? I am also rather curious on how long it took to make something like that.

Hannah C said...

The War of the Roses summary was very informative, and helped me a lot because before reading it I felt I knew very little about the topic. One thing I found very interesting was why they named the war "The war of the Roses", and how perhaps the roses, gave that warm better feeling to the war, that they tried to promote in the middle ages. Its rather remarkable that this war was more damaging to England than the Hundred Years War. I'm starting to realize that everything is history was about power, especially wars. The two main battles were rather far apart from each other but make sense, in that one was very close to the beginning and the other very close to the end. Also, war was such a long period of time that it makes sense that it drastically effected England. This website also refers to Shakespeare a lot, why?

Bartlett said...

I did the War of the Roses website and it helped me understand it better. At first all the different people with the same names was confusing but after reading it a couple of times I got it. After reading this I realized how much the monarchy of many countries back then relied on the monarchs producing heirs to the throne. The War of the Roses might not have happened if King Richard II had a son to take the throne. Also the greed for power among the nobles made England suffer. If anyone was in anyway related to the king then in their mind they were the rightful heir and this just led to bloodshed that devastated the country.

Bartlett said...

I watched the Henry V film clip and it was cool. I liked how they showed the archers, the cavalry, and the infantry. How the archers would just shoot into a huge cluster of people regardless if their own men were in it. It also showed how violent and bloody battle was despite how war back then was portrayed as glorious and heroic. I also liked how they even showed people looting off the bodies while everybody else is still fighting because looting was a major reason many wanted to fight.

Keegan said...

I read the short description of the Flagellants and although it wasn't a long, drawn out description it was enough to show just how radical people would get. Just think how crazy we would go if we couldn't explain why something was happening to us. It seems like worst case scenario for people at that time period. They could do nothing to cope with the disease and a cure wasn't even found for about 600 years later! its a wonder only 50% died, they are luck they all didn't die.

Anonymous said...

I watched the King Henry the V battle of Agincourt. The portrayal of how war was fought during that time was enlightening. It showed how the battles despite being written out as glorious were actually bitter fights for life with no glory to be had. Also how the long bowmen actually played a huge role in the fight was another good portrayal in this video clip.

Anonymous said...

I watched the how to shoot a longbow clip. It was amazing to see that despite how simplistic the longbow was it still was able to cause destruction and in the end win wars. Also the fact that instead of aiming down the arrow because of the amount of training you could just focus on the target.

Anonymous said...

I wathced the how to shoot a longbow video. Looking at it through the perspective of a french knight weighed down by plate mail they previously thought would make them inveriable, i would be intimadated. The only thing i would count on is the english knights being similarly hit because the archers shot volleys.

Anonymous said...

I read the how to become a saint website and I was infromed that there over 10,000 saints and there are multiple steps to become a saint in the Roman Catholic religion. I also learned the recently the canonization has been reformed so the local bishop has to review the saint-to-be to see if their life and death quilifies as saintly. I will become a saint.

Annie said...

I read the articles The Black Death, 1348 and The Flagellants Attempts to Repel the Black Death, 1349 to give myself a better understanding of what it might have been like to live during this time in Europe. This was a time of great uncertainty where many people were turing toward God and many people were starting to question their faith. The first article on the black death went into great detail about how the plague was transmitted and how it presented itself. A man named Givanni Boccaccio was lucky enough to live through the plague and he later wrote a story about it. He described the hopeless state that people were in because there was no cure. Once a tumor or purple or black spots were discovered on a person they were most likely going to die.

As a result of all this death a sort of Anarchy began to form in the major cities. The people that were enforcing the laws were either sick or dying and therefore people could do as they pleased. Houses were abandoned as people tried to run from the plague and the social order started to breakdown.

The Flagellants were very interesting to read about. I cannot imagine doing what these people did. They were determined to punish themselves for their sins. Sir Robert Avesbury witnessed them walking down the street naked, singing and whipping themselves. This behavior was condoned by the Catholic Church.

Annie said...

I read the articles The Black Death, 1348 and The Flagellants Attempts to Repel the Black Death, 1349 to give myself a better understanding of what it might have been like to live during this time in Europe. This was a time of great uncertainty where many people were turing toward God and many people were starting to question their faith. The first article on the black death went into great detail about how the plague was transmitted and how it presented itself. A man named Givanni Boccaccio was lucky enough to live through the plague and he later wrote a story about it. He described the hopeless state that people were in because there was no cure. Once a tumor or purple or black spots were discovered on a person they were most likely going to die.

As a result of all this death a sort of Anarchy began to form in the major cities. The people that were enforcing the laws were either sick or dying and therefore people could do as they pleased. Houses were abandoned as people tried to run from the plague and the social order started to breakdown.

The Flagellants were very interesting to read about. I cannot imagine doing what these people did. They were determined to punish themselves for their sins. Sir Robert Avesbury witnessed them walking down the street naked, singing and whipping themselves. This behavior was condoned by the Catholic Church.

beirish said...

Mr. Lamb I had written my comments on a piece of paper because I did not see this comment box I hope I can still recieve credit. Here they are anyways...
How to Shoot a Long Bow: From watching this clip I learned that you had to train for 2 hours a day from the age of 7 and that eventually you learned not to look at the end of the bow but at the target when aiming. The bow itself can be shot up to 300 paces away and once the arrow is inside you, you can't get it out.
How to Become a Saint: From reading this article I learned that there are over 10,000 saints. I also learned that saints have been around since the beginning of Christianity. Catholics pray with saints and not to them. We believe that they have an interest in our problems.