Friday, February 18, 2011

WWI

http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/great_war/causes.htm WWI Causes
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm Flanders Field Poem
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/wwi/wwicauses.htm To The Point
http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/all.htm WWI Battles
http://wwi.lib.byu.edu/index.php/The_Zimmerman_Note Zimmerman Note Translation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/shellshock_01.shtml - Play with this site to find some diaries and such.
http://www.triv.net/html/Users7/u17815.shtml - Watch out if you get one wrong you have to start all over.
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/quizzes/wwi/outbreak.htm - Easy to do
http://www.historyteacher.net/EuroProjects/ExamReviewSheets/MatchingQuizzesForFinalReview-2001/MATCH-WW1.htm - Tough one.
http://www.thecorner.org/hists/ww1q.htm - Easy
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-1.htm - Pojer
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-2.htm - Pojer
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1919versailles.html Versailles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iR0xJW-Fk Trench Warfare Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaHnD0DIgc&feature=related WWI Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Cog9Zk3J4&feature=related BBC Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRRhxo0RHc Sargent York - US Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtVNDvwGMo&feature=related Path of Glory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcZZC8oILo&feature=fvst Gallipoli Music Video with Scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KzqzIR8x4U&feature=related The Trench-The End
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-xd0M6tRQ Rasputin Dance - Thanks Anna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ Gallipoli Film Ending - Thanks Ky

http://www.worldology.com/Europe/europe_history_lg.htm Interactive Map -Don't post needed to put is here for later.

33 comments:

kkelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kkelly said...

I watched the video on trench warfare and I learned quite a bit of new information. The trenches were obviously a bad place to be fighting from and living in but that's not to mention that the area is pretty small. It is only 7' by 6' and if anyone stands above the 7' area then their head will be shot off. It was also interesting to learn that really neither side of a trench warfare battle would actually "win" the battle. Even though they were so close it was impossible for one side to take over the other.

kkelly said...

I also viewed the video on Rasputin and his dance. It was surprisingly accurate and the lyrics were pretty much spot on. I felt that the way moves incorporated the melody and the lyrics created a very informational segment.

akochien said...

I watched the video on Trench warfare. It was surprisingly informative. I knew most of the basics of the warfare, but this video enlightened me on more of the technical side of the trenchs. I didn't know anything about the steps, sand bags, or the three layers to the trenches. However, I didn't like the creators way of depicting the war, his upbeat music choice seemed, although entertaining, a little innappropriate under the circumstances!

akochien said...

I also just saw that Ky watched the Rasputin video and I died of laughter. I think you should post the video Nika secretly took of me instead... I clearly am a much better dancer than the Kovwhatchamacallit.

akochien said...

Also, it was a coincidence that Ky and I did the same blogs.

Jeff Moriarty said...

I read "In Flanders Field". The poem itself was appealing to me, and I enjoyed reading it. What I did find remarkable was that the Colonel served for a long time in the South Africn war. Now when talking about African warfare most people would assume it would be incredibly gruesome. What was possibly the most disturbing part of his service in the military would be WWI, dealing with the blood and screams was almost unbearable for him.

Jeff Moriarty said...

I also atched the youtube video on Trench warfare. THe most isngificant thing I got out of it was, I thought of how miraculous a solider had to of been to have enough courage to pour out of a trench, not knowing the the top side looks like, and have one objective to complete, to kill. I men in the infantry in WWI had balls, to say the least.

Anonymous said...

I did the multiple choice test on World War 1. It helped sort of review the main topics about the key players, and it was also nice how the answers were somewhat explained at the bottom. I learn best through tests that show results right away, so this was a good way to review and get in the mindset of WWI for class!

Anonymous said...

I reviewed the Rasputin Dance. After such an enjoyable experience with it in class, i was just itching to do it again! After a short cardio work out, i found that the lyrics were somewhat historically relevant. Mostly it's based on the allure around Rasputin, but it's sort of a fun way to tie modern culture into european history. Bravo Anna!

Helen Ellsworth said...

The first thing I looked at was the end of the movie "The Trench". I felt as if the inital scenes of the trench were a wee bit clean and unrealistic (their uniforms were spick and span, no stains on their helmats and they all looked relatively healthy). However, I did watch this after two hours of All Quiet on the Western Front, so any other interpretation of WWI trench warfare just feels wrong to me right now. Knowing that you are about to run to your death must be a horrifying experience, and I would never be able to cope with such feelings. Trench warfare would pretty much be my worst nightmare.

Helen Ellsworth said...

The second link I looked at was the poem In Flanders Fields byLieutenant Colonel John McCrae. Although generally unrelated to this fantastic war poem, reading it made me think about all of the people who were sent to battle: doctors, workers, craftsmen, thinkers, poets, etc. All of those great minds were sacrificed in the most brutal of ways, and this poem most memorably acknowledges the death and sadness surrounding such a great and terrible war.

adow said...

i thought the paths of war video was pretty accurate to what texts say. the trenches were very crowded, and the emotion that was in the people who had to run from trench to trench must have been crazy. i cant imagine having to be in a situation like that, the film seemed very accurate and i would actually be interested in seeing the whole thing.

adow said...

i personally loved the rasputin dance and song. the lyrics of the song matched the situation with rasputin almost exactly, and it was very entertaining to see some of the dance moves in the video. seemed very russian cultured and insightful on how dancing in russia might be.

Unknown said...

For my first blog I read the Zimmerman Note translation, I knew that the United States had intercepted the note, and as a result joined the war. After reading the translation, it seemed as though the note had been plotted on purpose as means of getting the United States into war. Which I suppose is what the note was meant for, I find it interesting how no one knows for sure, it was intend for Mexico or to be seen by the U.S.


For my second blog I watched the Paths of Glory video, without the sound. Just watching the clip was different, there was more focus of the reaction of the men in the trench it must have been terrifying for them. This clip was really a great depiction of the size of the trench there was no room at all to move around. At 2:01 the men start to climb out the trench a run towards the enemy. Even though this scene was sad, it was a great visual.

rschwaner said...

I read the translation of the Zimmerman Note sent by telegram in 1917. The Note basically said that submarine warfare would begin on February 1st, America will stay neutral in this affair, and that Mexico would become their ally (they will make war, peace, and they will support each other financially). Mexico would retain land in Texas and Eckhardt was to tell the President secretly. The closing stated that the purpose of the submarine unrestricted warfare would be to force England into making peace. This note actually contributed to the United States joining the war.

I read the article about shell-shock and all the horrors of trench warfare. The trauma from the violence often caused psychological break downs. Part of the article talked about how men who stabbed people in the face got face twitches, people who stabbed men in the stomach got stomach cramps, and snipers lost their eyesight. This is like the power of suggestion to the extreme, and it’s no wonder so many men when insane or had post war trauma if they managed to return home. After big battles, soldiers had terrible nightmares, or couldn’t sleep or eat. One third of the discharges were due to emotional disorders.

Unknown said...

I read the article containing the translation of the Zimmerman Note. I found it incredible that, if this telegram actually were from the Germans, that they had the kind of power where they could give Mexico giant tracts of land from the continental United States. Also, had the proposed ideas in the telegram come true, Mexico would have inherited a large portion of our country and would control the entire southwest region. Even though it is speculated that the British planted the telegram, tactics used in wartime are pretty crazy either way, whether promising huge amounts of land that aren't yours or faking a telegram to attract another ally.

I also read the selected articles from the Treaty of Versailles. Germany suffered some serious blows because of this document, including giving up its "rights, title and privileges" in all of its colonies and overseas possessions. It also had a reduced army and had to pay enormous sums of money to counteract their war debt, of which they were pretty much the sole recipients. Despite their also being severely weakened by the war, they had to take full responsibility and spent many decades to come shedding that burden.

bmiller said...

I read the translation of the Zimmerman Note. The note was in the form of a coded telegram from German Foreign Secretary, Arthur Zimmerman, to Heinrich von Eckardt,German ambassador in Mexico. The Germans were basically asking Mexico to attack the United States, and in return they would give Mexico Texas. I think it is possible the note was not a fake telegram created by the British because the Germans wanted to avoid fighting multiple powers at once, and having Mexico distract the US would certainly accomplish that. Then again it is possible the British would forge a telegram in order to get America to join the allies.

I also did the Frightful WW1 Quiz. The quiz was somewhat helpful, but some of the questions were kind of random, like the one about the record for the most lice on a persons head. The most interesting fact I learned was that the Germans attacked British messenger pigeons with hawks.

Unknown said...

I read the article about the Zimmerman note. It was interesting to see propositions for alliance first hand. The tone in which it was written was also interesting; it was very calm and serious, which for some reason surprized me. I guess I thought it would have been more, well, evil. The Germans also had the plan very well laid out.

I also watched the video about the realities of world war one. It really is hard to imagine what the soilders went though and watching this, especially with the sad music, really helped me kind of wrap my head around it. I could not imagine knowing you were going to die once you went over the trench. Just being surrounded by all those guns and sounds would be terrifying enough, but watching your friends die and living in a mud hole would be awful! Plus, there was a very cute old man who talked about the horrifying experiences he went through..

JessicaR said...

The first blog post I viewed was the one on Shell Shock which had excerpts from some of the soldiers journals. This article specifically talked about the psychological damage that the war caused. Due to the new weaponry and trench warfare, this was one of the first wars where mental trauma was such a large issue. Even if the soldiers managed to survive, many lost eyesight, limbs, and suffered serious health conditions. It was surprising how little pity the commanding officers had for their shell-shocked soldiers.

The second blog I viewed was the youtube video of “Paths of Glory”. This seemed like a realistic portrayal of what trench warfare was like. The first minute of the clip was an intense sequence of the commanding officer walking through the trenches, men cowering on the sides, as bombs are continuously dropping in the background. They then have to crawl on the ground through bullets and explosions. Viewing this, along with reading the first blog post, I now have no idea how anyone recovered from living through that. Though some of the explosions weren’t very realistic…this film does a good job of illustrating the terror that went through the soldiers before exiting the trench.

Anonymous said...

I read the Zimmerman note translation. It was interesting, but something was off about it. Perhaps the translation is not perfect, but I really just don’t think the Germans would have written that. They were busy with Europe, and Mexico isn’t exactly known for an outstanding army. Something about reading the translation convinced me that it was just a ploy designed by the English for the final nudge that would push America into the war.

Anonymous said...

I watched the “All’s Quiet on the Eastern Front” YouTube clip on trench warfare. It was nothing short of horrifying. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to watch one of your best friends die, or anyone for that matter, much less two in a row. The end got me more though. The guy who looked up and was shot down so quickly… He never saw it coming. But what was worse were the two guys behind him who had to catch him, and lay him down on the muddy trench floor because that was all that they could do.

NMosenthal said...

I read the Flanders Field Article. I thought the poem gave a really accurate description of war changes everyone's perception, but some things continue as normal, like the poppies growing. Reading the background info about McCrae, I found it interesting that even after so much experience in war, the death and destruction is something that no one can get used to. Following this concept, the mere seventeen days McCrae spent treating men in the Ypres salient, must have seemed unbearably long.

NMosenthal said...

I also re-watched the rasputin dance. Not only is the song/dance entertaining, but the lyrics are actually really accurate. I looked up the song, and it explains how he was both and unsettling man with enemies and someone who could do no wrong in the eyes of the queen. The song says, "He ruled the Russian land and never mind the czar" and details how his enemies "put some poison into his wine" and then "shot him till he was dead." It also tells how "In all affairs of state he was the man to please...For the queen he was no wheeler dealer, Though she'd heard the things he'd done, She believed he was a holy healer Who would heal her son."

Steve Raymond said...

Okay, I just watched the YouTube video of "All Quiet on the Western Front", and I have to admit that it must of sucked to be involved in trench warfare. Everything looks nasty, and covered in dirt, while bombs are constantly going off, flamethrowers are being used, and machine guns are picking off people one by one. If I was there, I don't even know. I'd probably go insane or something. Also, I wouldn't like seeing people I'd been with for months die instantly. Not a comforting environment.

Steve Raymond said...

I just read the translation of the Zimmerman note, and at first I thought, "How could the American government receive mail that was meant for Mexico, and why would Germany send it by mail in the first place." Upon further investigation, (meaning that I spoke to my brother Anthony), the Zimmerman note was actually a telegram that was intercepted by the US, which is more understandable. I also found it interesting that Germany had not only offered Texas to Mexico, but New Mexico and Arizona as well.

Unknown said...

I took the easy quiz so i could feel smart about the information. I scored an 100% so pretty much no big deal or whatever. The quiz was a good review to take except for when it kept giving me the answer to the previous question in the next one, but it was still good review.

Unknown said...

I also just read the poem the canadian soldier wrote. It is a really sad sad poem because of the way he talks about life and death. I thought it was really cool that the website had a picture of the actual handwritten poem, it makes it that much more important.

BO'Donnell said...

1)After watching the Rasputin I realized that the lyrics actually matched Rasputin’s life pretty accurately. The dancer in the video was a Russian and the lyrics talked about Rasputin being the “Russian queen lover”. It was a very entertain and hilarious dance, while still getting the basic message of Rasputin across.


2) I also read the article about shell shock. This article explored the psychological damage of the soldiers in the trenches. Shell shock was caused by the overexposure to a repeated loud sound caused by the new modern artillery. This was not a problem in pervious wars, because WWI was one of the first wars to use this modern weaponry and trench warfare.

Jerrett said...

I read the Zimmerman note translated from german. While it wasn't really anything extraordinarily special, it did show that germany was worried about the United States getting involved in the war. I also didn't realize that the Germans also wanted Japan to either join with them as well and was going to rely on mexico to help them. I was unaware that mexico was had enough strenght to warrant such curiosity from the germans.

Jerrett said...

I also read the piece about shell shock in the trenches. It was pretty informative and I liked how it incorperataed real life accounts as well as historical facts. I was unaware that shell shock seemed to affect officers more than the common grunts but i guess that sending men under your command to die must do more psychological damage than simply charging wildly at the enemy while pumped on adrenaline.

Gillen Schofield said...

I first Watched the Video on Trench Warfare. what interested me was the rotation that the soldiers had. From the Front lines to the reserves and then a 120 day break. I also thought that the fact they would truce for breakfast and lunch was very odd. there is no chance anyone would do that in todays world. It Just goes to Show how different the world is today.

Gillen Schofield said...

I then looked at the page with the list of battles during the war. it surprised me how many battles occured in such a short amount of time. The war only lasted 4 years but there were upwards of 90 Battles.