Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Imperialism Chapter 26

http://www.britishbattles.com/zulu-war/rorkes-drift.htm - Use this for reference of British Battles
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/battle/battle.htm - Battle Article
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/dequinc1.htm Opium Eater
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4429064 Congo - Check this out
http://www.learningcurve.gov.uk/victorianbritain/great/activity1.htm Game Victorian
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/launch_gms_womens_rights.shtml Game
http://asms.k12.ar.us/classes/humanities/worldstud/97-98/imper/india/India.htm India
http://regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/imperialism/china.cfm China
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/redlight.htm Red Light District
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/livingstone.htm Livingstone
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/vic.htm Victoria
http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b2leopold-belgium-congo.htm Leopold II
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4429064 Leopold is not a nice guy
http://web.cocc.edu/cagatucci/classes/hum211/timelines/htimeline3.htm Slave Trade
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2005/08/15/2003267815 Russo-Japanese War


http://stipteacher.net/apeuro/index.htm Scroll down to 8.3 on Imperialism. Listen to one of the podcast and write a response on the info you learned.

Anti-Semitism
http://www.marxists.org/archive/zola/1898/jaccuse.htm Letter I accuse
http://www.marxists.org/history/france/dreyfus-affair/index.htmhttp://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/Dreyfus.html Story
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?ModuleId=10005175 Antisemitism site
http://www.ushmm.org/http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/promisedland.htm
http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/BIOS/dreyfus.html Dryfus Affair
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Assass.html Alex II

College Check
http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/apcreditpolicy/index.jsp $$$$ Check out the college you are looking at and what you need to score.

29 comments:

kkelly said...

I looked at the first article that showed pictures of the battles. It was interesting too see that the culture in Africa was technologically really far behind Britain. It's obvious to tell that the British must have won all their battles because essentially it was like "bringing a knife to a gun fight". The Africans ultimately stood no chance versus Britain's weapons and war tactics.

kkelly said...

I also read the article about how Zulu had put up somewhat of a fight against the Britain army. It is ironic that the first attack/battle resulted in a South African victory. Most of the time Britain is the victorious side. Unfortunately for Zulu and his tribe, Britain's famous soldiers once again pulled through to win the revolt. Even though the Britain soldiers were heavily wounded and barely firing their weapons, they still managed to hold off Zulu's soldiers.

Unknown said...

I played the Victorian game. It was more like a quiz rather than a game, because you had to choose whether a statement occured during1837 or 1901. The statements were generally easy to figure out, but there were a few tricky ones. At the end of the game, a summary of the correct choices were given which was a good review, but what was very interesting was then you had to decide whether England improved none, a little, or a lot for some and not so much for the others. I chose the latter and it then compiled a list of why I chose that one, which included a better understandement of sanitation, improved working conditions, leisure time, but also the conditions for people out of work did not improve, and women could still not vote (just to name a few).

Unknown said...

I also read the article about Victoria. It was her diary entry the morning she learned she was Queen. It was so interesting to read her reactions to becoming Queen and the duties she performed that day. She seemed so calmed and fully aware of her duties, which is amazing since she was 18 when she became Queen. The article also mentioned the repition of the word "alone" in this diary entry. I think this is because she was under such protection from her mother and her mother's advisor Conroy (the "Kensington system" under which she couldnt even walk down the stairs alone) up to the time that she became Queen that she was awed by the freedom she had and the ability to do as she pleased.

rschwaner said...

I read the article on the Russo-Japanese War. We have covered it in class as the war that revealed Russia as behind, but this article provided more information on Japan’s side. This war marked the rise of Japan as a global power as it was only the second time a western nation was defeated by an Asian nation. They proved to have good naval tactics, and they fought a modern war as guns, automatic weapons, and trench warfare was used. Japan’s soldiers were known for their commitment and willingness to die for their nation. After the war Japan occupied Korea and attacked the Great Wall, as the war occurred in China.

I also read the Red Light Districts article, which was about Henry Richard Dana Jr. and how lost his eyesight and had to leave Harvard. He joined a crew of merchant ships and published a book on it. His eyesight ended up coming back and he returned to Harvard to become a lawyer and kept a detailed dairy that historians use to get an idea of the Victorian lifestyle. Most of the article is about him in New York going to the “five points” which is the Red Light Districts. He experienced dancing, music, fighting women, drunkenness, and prostitution. He went in the building out of curiosity and saw that there were many young girls. When he walked back out on the street it was full of happy, cheerful people; a completely different world than inside the building.

kuhlman said...

I read the article about Leopold II and his conquest of the Congo. It was interesting to note that the Belgian Congo was not a colony of the Kingdom of Belgium; rather, it was the personal property of Leopold II. Also, he was the one who first proposed the Berlin Conference of 1884, and the Congo was merely added to his takings as an afterthought. He also initially appeared as somewhat of a hero for the Africans, because he promoted the disintegration of the slave trade and sought to rid the Congo Basin of Arab slave traders. However, this plan failed and he instead wasted millions of francs, robbed the Congo of its resources, and took millions of lives.

kuhlman said...

I also read the article about Queen Victoria. I've always been fascinated with her and the era she represents, so it interesting to see the very beginnings of her reign. She became the ruler of Great Britain and the largest expanse of land the British Empire has ever known and her descendents ruled all over the world. But she was only eighteen when she became queen, and it happened in an unusal way. She was woken up early in the morning and was told that the King had died, while she was only wearing a dressing gown. Also, the article mentioned "Dear Uncle Leopold [King of the Belgians]." It's strange to think that all of these monarchies were so interwoven and that she was probably related to the mass-murdering King of Belgium.

NMosenthal said...

I read the article about Livingston's encounter with Victoria Falls. Livingston's account was very descriptive, and gave a good picture of the immensity of the falls: "I peered down into a large rent which had been made from bank to bank of the broad Zambesi, and saw that a stream of a thousand yards broad leaped down a hundred feet, and then became suddenly compressed into a space of fifteen or twenty yards." I think its really interesting that Livingston was able to immerse himself so much in Africa and its culture, and cut himself off so completely from European civilization.

NMosenthal said...

I also played the women's rights game. As the years progressed in the game, women gained more or more rights, or "open doors." The first right granted women was the right to custody of their children following separation (1839) to the last right, women's suffrage in 1928. I think it's very ironic that England was ruled by Queen starting in 1837, but ordinary women did not gain the basic right to vote until almost one hundred years later.

Anonymous said...

The first article that I read was the one about a man’s firsthand account of taking opium for the first time. The writer was using it as a painkiller, which I had never been completely clear about on whether that was a common use for it at the time before reading this article. The writer was very wary about the intense pleasure he experienced when we had taken opium, and the tone of the writing had a definite edge to it that made it obvious that he was not endorsing the use of the drug and was even ashamed of his own use of it. He also explained in depth about the effects of the drug.

Anonymous said...

I also read the short article about Imperialism in India. I found it interesting just how many European countries occupied the country throughout the century, including the standard Portugal, England, France, as well as lesser known countries who were unsuccessful such as Sweden, Prussia, Austria, and the Danish.

Caroline Armstrong said...

I also looked at the British Battles article. Pictures help me understand things a lot more so this article was really interesting for me. It was obvious that the British were taking over. In the pictures they appeared to be well prepared, organized and fully equipped with the weapons needed. The S. Africans were fighting with spears and didn't appear to be as prepared to battle the British.

Caroline Armstrong said...

I read the article about the Russo-Japanese war. I thought I would be reading things that I already know since we covered it in class. However, the article went deeper into what happened from Japan's point of view. Japan considered the war kind of a success because they had modernized their tactics and won a few battles.

adow said...

I read the red light district article. i thought this was quite iteresting in the fact that an explorer would find himself wandering through women selling themselves. I was not shocked to hear that children would prostitute themselves, but i was shocked to hear that women would sell themselves for 50 cents. regardless of the time this is very degrading to women, and it is pretty ridiculous that this has been one of the longest lasting professions through out the history of the earth.

adow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adow said...

I Read the article about livingstone discovering Victoria falls. Instantly when he began describing the falls i thought of the niagra falls. One thing that i had trouble picturing was the mist from the falls rising 5-6 miles in the sky, and i feel like this may have been a stretch by livingstone. It was cool to hear how explorers actaully interact with the people of where they are, and how they use those who are native to the land to navigate and get a close up view of the fascinations of the world.

JessicaR said...

I played the womens rights game. It was less of a game and more of an informative tool. In the beginning of the game in the early 1800s, women had almost no rights. The only right they were given was to gain custody of their children. Later in the mid-1800‘s womens rights began to progress. Things like the Matrimonial Causes Act gave women a little more freedom within the courtroom. In the end result, women weren’t given equal rights of each category until 1928. This was a long and difficult battle for women, not just in England, but around the globe.

I also read the article on Queen Victoria. It was very interesting that I read this article after playing the women’s rights game. At the time where Victoria came into power, women had almost no rights yet she was given the ability to govern the country. This article lets the reader know how much pressure Victoria had on her in such a short amount of time. I did a project on Victoria in my Global History class, so it was interesting hearing Victoria talk about people like Lord Melbourne on the day she claimed the throne, knowing that he would later hold heavy influence on Victoria’s decision making. This article definitely let me see just how Victoria was feeling and thinking at this time in comparison to how she presented herself.

Unknown said...

I read the article on the russo-japanese war, and i thought it was cool to get a little more knowledge on the war seeing how it was a minor thing during our class. Well the article really helped to show how big of a deal the war was in history with being the first modern war and all. I found the battle for port arthur to be the most interesting part of the entire article because it was such a big battle but i have never heard of it.

Unknown said...

I also looked at the first article of the war pictures and paintings and i have to say i am somewhat unimpressed. The pictures do the war no justice compared to other paintings and pictures i have seen of other wars this one seems to be bland and smaller scale. I did find the pictures to be cool though becasue i love old photos

Helen Ellsworth said...

The first thing I looked at was the Victorian Era game, which turned out to be quite a surprise for me when playing. Although the human condition in England did improve under the reign of Victoria, many horrible things that still existed as the status quo, such as that many people still believed that the poor were poor because they were lazy. However, as a whole, living conditions for all did improve, especially women (even though they were't paid as they should have been). I find this website to also be interesting because of the choose-your-own-ending finale that it provides....for you are the one who decides if the nation improved or not and then an essay is set up for you based on your conclusion.

Helen Ellsworth said...

The second article I looked at was the one concerning a visit to the red light district. It seriously surprised me how dingy and unwelcoming these districts were, where prostitution and unhappiness thrived and the dirty drunkenness of its inhabitants was all too evident when just walking down a street. In a way I pity the residents and workers of a redlight district who live off their bodies in an unhealthy manner and who, when it comes time to be off the clock, are still required to live in their unappealing place of employment and filth. But, well, what did I expect? The red light districts of nowadays? Are there still red light districts? Well, I know of them in Europe, however I wonder if they still exist on the DL in America.

Jerrett said...

I read the article about the Russo-Japanese war. The article was very interesting. I had always been told that this was the first "modern" war. However, I didn't realize that machine guns and modern artillery were used for the first time during the conflict. I also didn't realize that the japanese lost hundreds of thousands of men despite thier victory. It was interesting that trench warfare was used for the first time here and yet european military commanders failed to learn anything from the high death toll.

Jerrett said...

I also read the article on Dr. Livingston. While I knew the Dr. Livingston I presume story I never really knew what it exactly was that Dr. Livingston did. I is pretty cool that he was the first to discover Victoria Falls. That must have been a pretty spectacular sight to see. The artists rendition of the falls on the website looks pretty impressive and I only wonder if it was Dr. Livingston who named the falls after the queen.

Unknown said...

For my first blog I read about Livingstone and his discovery of Vitoria Falls, I thought it was interesting how Livingstone described the area surrounding the river, and not just the falls. It must have been amazing for him being a European to experience such a difference in nature with colorful plants of all diverse shapes and sizes.

For the second one I read about the Russo-Japanese war, I knew that it was a big deal for Japan’s victory over Russia. I thought it was interesting that Japan’s army was up to par with other imperial powers. I feel that the victory over Russia for Japan gave them a boost to continue fighting other countires.

akochien said...

I read the article about the Red light district. Although I myself have never been around a red light district, from what i've heard they are pretty sleezy. And this article managed to agree with my prior image of the brothels. I really like the articles from Eye to Witness. I think its neat getting a story from someone who was actually there. This guy seem like kind of a dweeb to me though. His curiousity about the red light district was a little creepy. It was really weird to know that 8 year olds were prostitutes... its also weird to think that in some parts of the world that is still going on.

akochien said...

I also played the game about womans rights. Although it was pretty simply formatted i had difficulty understanding the game. I didn't know when i was right or not! Once i got the hang of it the game was over :(. But had i managed to figure it out earlier in the game it would have been a neat way of learning about womans rights in the 19th and 20th century.

Steve Raymond said...

I chose to read the article about the Russo-Japanese War. It was cool to read about how New Hampshire was involved in some event in the world other than being a place where people from Massachussetts go to ski. It's understandable why we had the treaty in Portsmouth however. It's because there's absolutely nothing else to do here, and people wouldn't have been destracted. I also thought it was interesting because it showed how far behind Russia was when it came to industrializing.

Steve Raymond said...

I then chose the first article with all of the pictures of imperialism. I thought it was very interesting to see some of the african soldiers, dressed in traditional african apparel, but holding industrialized weaponry. It was also really depressing to see the images of Europeans throwing the dead bodies of Africans into trenches. It shows that "The White Man's Burden" was not the best reason to imperialize Africa.

bmiller said...

I read the article about the Red Light District. I thought that Dana gave a good insight anto what life was like in that area during the mid 1800's. He describes the run down buildings and many poor people on the streets, as well as drunk men and prostitution. He even visits one building were he saw two women outside just out of curiosity. I thouhgt this article did a good job showing the contrast between rich and poor society in this small area.
I also read the article "The Battle" I thought it was interesting how the zulu were not afriad of attacking the British even though they all had rifles and were shooting at them at point blank range. The Zulu put up somewhat of a fight but they were still no match for British rifles even with far superior numbers. This article helped me better understand what it was like for Europeans to conquer African tribes.