http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VS953hRXwY Art Heads
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/voltairebiography.html Voltaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvEq5KEhytU&feature=related Baroque as a weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWXP8670IQE Rem
http://members.tripod.com/~Nevermore/ctgfaq.htmhttp://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.com/2005/06/catherine-great-and-her-many-lovers.html Catherine the Grea
thttp://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/3301/3381043/flash_cards/index17.html Flash Cards
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1719defoe-women.html Women
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/wesley/shorthistory.stm Methodist
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Mathematicians/Galileo.html Galielo Site
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ENLIGHT/SCIREV.HTM Scientific Revolution Site-Check out parts of it.
http://www.boisestate.edu/courses/westciv/science/ Nice Site to Click and Read
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/leeuwenhoek.html Von Leeuwenhoek
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/philosophers/pascal.html Pascal
http://www.wsu.edu:8000/~dee/GLOSSARY/CARTES.HTM Cartesianism
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/ NOVA Galielo Site
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison Can't get there from here solved
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison
Time Time TimeYour turn, find me an interesting You Tube Clip or article, if I like it, I will post it and give you credit for finding it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
32 comments:
I read the website about Voltaire. I thought it was really informative. I didn't really have any prior knowledge about Voltaire other than a few of his ideals. I learned that he was so agains oppression due to the fact that France had time after time punished him for having free thinking. He was sent to the Bastille for awhile and when released went to England. He loved England... something we have in common. I also learned that he was actually a pretty funny guy. In the 'Wit and Wisdom of Voltaire' section he had a bunch of funny quotes, my favorite being: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous' And God granted it." I think Voltaire had really good morals and I bet if I knew him we would get along marvelously.
I watched the Youtube clip on Boroque art as a weapon.. I found it very interesting that a palace built in this style would be a bloodless fight against anyone who had a mere thought of rebellion. They were to state authority and power and basically meant, don't mess with me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miV0xQUjK-w I found this and thought Mr. Lamb or someone else might like it or find use in it
I watched the Baroque art and the Aristocracy video, which turned out to be quite interesting. It discussed how the architecture was used to intimidate, impress, and persuade visitors to these majestic locations, and how influential they could be...somewhat taking the place of force. I seriously doubt that a strategy such as this could be used today (look at North Korea) where a perfect facade is put up to impress others, for with the world so quick to jump to their guns and arms, force and violence are almost guaranteed to be a factor in any "negotiations" or political persuation that would take place. The threat now would come from fear of attack instead of the majesty of buildings...which is slightly regretful. I wish that wars could be waged over architecture.
I read the article about how women were deprived during the 17th century. Daniel Defoe was truly disgusted with the fact that women don't receive equivalent opportunities. I thought this article was interesting because Daniel Defoe was saying how he didn't think there was much of a difference between men and women (intelligence wise). On the contrary he actually believed that women had a higher capacity for learning. Defoe really made a lot of sense because truly women getting the proper education can only benefit mankind or should I say man/womankind.
I read the website on Anto van Leeuwenhoek. I thought it was really interesting how with very limited education, wealth, and connections, Leeuwenhoek was able to be such an important contributor to the scientific revolution. To support his hobby of building microscopes he was a fabric merchant, a surveyor, a wine assayer, a minor city official, and the of the estate of the deceased and bankrupt Jan Vermeer, the famous painter. Leeuwenhoek's many discoveries include bacteria, free-living and parasitic microscopic protists, sperm cells, and blood cells. I thought it was very interesting that he even discovered plaque and saw a correlation between them and bad teeth brushing habits by examining his family's teeth.
I watched the Baroque art and the Aristocracy video. I enjoyed all of the pictures and the excessive dot dot dotting. I thought it was interesting how baroque art was used not only for decoration and adornment, but to demonstrate the aristocracy's power and squash resistance. The subtle use of baroque art to intimidate visitors was evident even in the shrubbery and grand staircases. I think actual weapons speak louder than art today, but presentation is still a very important tool to intimidate and address your enemies.
I read the biography of Voltaire. I thought it was interesting how taken he was with the English culture, particularly after the was banished from France. He believed that they had freedoms that the French did not have, especially the freedom of speech without fearing of being beaten. He also admired their constitutional monarchy and how the people could have a say in their government without everything being thrown into turmoil. He also admired Switzerland, Holland, and Prussia, which had a similar setup as England and were, coincidentally, Protestant, unlike France.
I also looked at the FAQs about Catherine the Great. Funnily enough, the questions mainly seemed to be about her death and her lovers. Apparently there is some sort of legend called the "horse-story" which some people believe is how she died, but the article didn't go into great detail. Otherwise, it is believed that she suffered a stroke and died. Interestingly, she also appears to have had a few sons by her boyfriends, particularly her third son, Alexsei, by Gregory Orlov. Also, she had about twelve known lovers during her lifetime.
I also watched the video about Baroque art and I thought it was interesting how art could be used as a weapon. Even though it wasn't a literal weapon, it was like an intimidation factor. People who witnessed these paintings were utterly stunned by the detail. The courtyards were also very intriguing, they stretched for long distances and they contained very artistic designs.
I watched the video clip on Boroque art as a weapon. It represented authority, power, and control. The style of the building being and it being used in a fight with no bloodshed against any rebellion was very interesting. The idea of this "fighting" style interests me.
I read the Fascinating History blog on Catherine the Great, It gave a brief description of her life as empress, and I found out some interesting facts that I didn’t know before, for example I never knew that she was originally from Poland, or she had an attraction to young male soldiers. Facts like this I consider very interesting.
I first would like to point out that the first YouTube link on the blog for “art heads” doesn’t work and that ruined my day. So I watched the Baroque Art and the Aristocracy video instead because I was in the mood for YouTube, damnit. I enjoyed it because I love the drama and intensity of baroque art; it is by far my favourite art style. But whoever made the video also stated that the art form had been used as a weapon, and didn’t do a very good job explaining why. After watching the video three times I still don’t understand how it can be considered that. I think they just said it because they wanted to seem all powerful and significant, but the most it did was make some cool looking buildings and Catholic scenes. But I still liked all of the pictures and the impressive background music.
I went on the website for Galileo, and automatically clicked the link titled “His big mistake” because I am like that. I found it extremely interesting that his theory about tides was underdeveloped, because I had always considered him the person who fully came up with it, and I had previously not even heard of Lord Kelvin. But I also had never really took time to find out how Galileo had come up with this theory in the first place, and found it fascinating that it was due to his observations of water at the bottom of barges shifting when it changed direction or speed, because that is something that I never would have thought twice about. I also find it very interesting that he himself had doubts about his own work upon its publication.
Because I'm a guy, I saw the word "weapon" and chose the Baroque art as a weapon. Seems everyone was a little up tight with baroque art. It wasn't an actual weapon, but served to persuade and assure power by impressing visitors. More intimidating than anything else...
Catherine the Great was a pretty cool guy. She liked to take parts of Poland, and also liked being the least Enlightened of the Enlightened despots. She loved the ideas of the Enlightenment, and French culture. She also loved killing serfs in uprisings. Pugachev was Peter III. Maybe. Done.
http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/d6cd8a9f-8fc9-4491-a94c-d50a4008ace6.jpg
I found this very funny link that you might enjoy.
I also read about voltaire and the history behind him, i was extremely interested with the quotes at the bottom of the page, like "To stop criticism they say one must die." and also his quote about superstition. i really would have liked to meet voltaire just sit a talk for a while and see how his mind works, seemed like a pretty cool guy.
I watched the video Baroque art and the Aristocracy. I can understand why other countries would be afraid of attacking a country that had some of these great works of art and awesome architecture. Its true that the power of a country could be shown through their arts.
i watched the video of baroque and aristocracy... I thought it was really good, but was it really that good. They made it out to be so powerful but i don't think it was really that big of a nd influence. The video was great at showing the forms of boroque art that were powerful. I also thought it was funny how he used the word ludacris in quotations and had a star wars theme song, get it.
i watched the video of baroque and aristocracy... I thought it was really good, but was it really that good. They made it out to be so powerful but i don't think it was really that big of a nd influence. The video was great at showing the forms of boroque art that were powerful. I also thought it was funny how he used the word ludacris in quotations and had a star wars theme song, get it.
this video also really well defines baroque and gives great examples of it to better help me understand it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZIu4SEpz8&feature=fvw
I also read Daniel Defore: On the Education of Women. I thought he made an effective argument that God gave women the ability to be as smart as man but the reason they are not in general is because they are not educated. I think he was very ahead of his thinking because he realized that women have the same abilities to learn that men do.
For my first blog I read the Galileo site summery. Before reading I knew that Galileo constructed a telescope, and studied lunar craters. It was interesting to find out that he discovered four moons that revolved Jupiter. I also learned that Galileo was born in the same area as three other mathematicians.
For my second blog I read about Voltaire. I learned that Voltaire believed in natural religion and praised French artistic and cultural achievement during the Age of Louis XIV, and that for 50 years he constantly preached of freedom and was against cruelty. He went to England, and was blown away by how the country respected scientists.
I read the article on Blaise Pascal. He might be my new favorite philosopher on religion. The concept that it is possible for god to exist by religion cannot prove it. However to be safe you better believe in god just in case. That seems like a pretty smart deal to me. Previously I had only known about pascals triangle in math and i was surprised to find out that he also almost invented mathematical probablility and published his first paper at the age of 16.
I also read tha article on women written by a male jounalist on the education of women. Basically it seems like women still had very few rights at this point in history even though women such as catherine the great and elizabeth had, very successfully, ruled entire countries. The author of this letter argues that since women are both sharper and quicker thinking than men, men are afraid to educate them because they would become superior. This is an interesting take on things which I think has some truth in it.
I watched the video on art as weapon. i never have actually thought about how architecture and buliding can act as intimdation over people and promote power. If you look at the modern world it is somewhat similar. in washington DC there are many historical building that have that stature of dominance.
i read the voltaire biography. It was interesting to see that he admired the english and was banned from france. It is understandable thought because of all the freedoms that that english offered. the governement was also something eh looked up to. it was a constitutional monarchy which allowed the people have a say in government,w hich is what he was all about.
These are my favorite youtube channel's clips on the French Revolution (YES, this is what I watch in my free time. Geekishness.)
Part I : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSod16wfgg
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMFtLAS90Q&feature=channel
Part III:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyZsLYxaIuM&feature=channel
For my first blog, I read Defoe's On Education of Women. I thought it was interesting to read Defoe's revolutionary words about how women were basically the same as men and how education could make women even better. It was very in depth with very specific examples on why education would benefit the women and what would happen if they continued to be uneducated. It was amazing to read that this man in this century wrote "the capacities of women are supposed to be greater, and their senses quicker than those of the men" Woo-hoo!
Secondly, I watched the Baroque Art as a Weapon and found it really interesting in the fact that it summed up what we had talked about previously with Versailles and the power it gave to the king. It is amazing to see the grandeur of these palaces and what the royalty really lived like. If I walked into a room like that, I would totally be impressed and intimidated. I could only imagine if I was a peasant or lower class citizen thinking of revolting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcqdUq16S28&feature=related
Mr. Lamb... I searched for many videos and I must say this one was the best at keeping my attention and highly informative. Its presentation is a little different... but putting that aside I think that my fellow students would gain a lot from viewing it.
Aaron made me post it.
I read the article by Daniel Defoe, who also wrote Robinson Crusoe, fun fact .He talked about women and how women are denied equal opportunities as men in education. He argues that women’s senses are just as good as men’s, and they are even quicker. He also explains how women have a more delicate and witty manner. He says that God did not give women all the good qualities and abilities for them to be so limited by men.
I also read about Leeuwenhoek, who made many microscopes and saw the first bacteria. He was from a family of tradesmen and had no high educational background, but he was inspired by Robert Hook’s work. He looked at lake water, plaque, animal and plant tissues, as well as crystals and fossils.
Post a Comment