Friday, October 29, 2010

Chapter 16

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/ Dr. Sanderson's Essay's 4,6,7,13,14 Click on Wiki on the left side to access essays
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/charlesI.htm Charles I Execution
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/londonfire.htm Great Fire in London
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/sunking.htm Inside Louis Court
http://www.answers.com/topic/oliver-cromwell Cromwell - Pick One Reading.
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/exh_gfx_en/ART29281.html Gunpowder Plot
http://www.show.me.uk/gunpowderplot/children_torture.htm Gunpowder
http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/glossary/prides-purge.htm Pride's Purge
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7221/antisemitism.htm Anti-Semitism
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~zhenka/054.html Stenka Razin
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/history/peter1st.asp Quick Hit on Peter The Great
http://hem.passagen.se/uscygnus/CharlesXII.html Charles XII
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ 4th of July Britain Style http://www.geocities.com/traditions_uk/bonfire.html Bonfire Night
http://www.bonfirenight.net/ Bonfire Night
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/wilhelm_i_and_the_potsdam_giants Potsdam Giants. http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/W.Europe/W.Europe9.htmlhttp://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/history/events/dates/ch5.shtm Battle of the Boyne
http://www.geographia.com/russia/moscow02.htm Kremlin
http://polish-baltic-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_false_dmitris_of_russia Dmitri Stabbed. (Age?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozvnMZ7Jq4http://www.pptpalooza.net/ Look at the Baroque Slides while listening to Stips Podcast, they match up.
http://stipteacher.net/apeuro/appodcasts/index.htm Stips Podcast

Yes folks, quizlet review is set up undr PRHSAPE. There are three sets but I can't promise you that there are not any spelling errors. I put it together quick like and when I get a chance will fix anything you tell me to. Oh the password to get in is = lambohttp://www.quizlet.com/

31 comments:

Unknown said...

I read the Great fire of 1666. Before i even read the artivle i thought it was interesting and coincidental that the fire happened that year with the three 6's. Other than that the article was particulary interesting because it contained a real report of what he saw when he was looking out his window and what was actually happening. I think when i read it through a real persons perspective it lays a depper impact into my memory, like when he was talking about how sick people were carried on beds which was interesting. Even further i thought it was quite interesting how he found out where the fire originated from on Pudding lane. I have seen that before and i thought it was cool that it was in his eyewitness report. So overall it was a pretty cool article.

Unknown said...

ok, so i read the bonfire article and it is extremely wierd. i think if a holiday like that was ever celebrated in the USA people would go crazy about the violence and message getting across. It seems like something they would do back in that time period, but now it is just strange and very destructive and violent. I can see that it has been passed down, but it is still very strange

Anonymous said...

I listened to the YouTube video that went through a series of Baroque music. I enjoyed all of the music, but was exceptionally interested in No. 6 by the Italian Boccherini, No. 5 by the English Purcell, and most of the works played by Vivaldi, because they were faster and were layered in a complicated and pretty way.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca Travis
I read about the Potsdam Giants. The quote at the beginning was pretty funny, and the whole article was just bizarre. Wilhelm I had an insane fetish with tall people, and he went through great lengths to recruit them. He hired tall women to reproduce with his tall soldiers in hopes of making more tall men. He never used them for battle, however, so no one actually knows if they were any good at all. They obviously looked good to Wilhelm I, who paraded them around endlessly. This is just another strange example of the eccentricities of Kings!

NMosenthal said...

I read the article about Wilhelm I and the Potsdam Giants. I thought it was really interesting how obsessed Wilheim was with acquiring tall soldiers, even though they were just for show. His fetish is shown by his quiote, “The most beautiful girl or woman in the world would be a matter of indifference to me, but tall soldiers--they are my weakness.” The fact that Wilhelm kidnapped, bred, and even proposed a stretching machine, to have tall people in his army shows the extent of his strange obsession.

akochien said...

I read the blog about Guy Fawkes being tortured after his Gun Powder Plot failed. The site says that it is believed he was taken to be tortured under King James’ orders because he refused to release information about the plot. King James was said to have said to the torturers “God speed to your good work” due to his hatred for Fawkes. Most of this information is speculation and the only evidence supporting that Fawkes was even in the Tower is two signatures from him. The web site asks if the images of the signatures prove that he was tortured or not. I feel that the image shows either that Fawkes had extremely bad printing, or was weak. I didn’t like how much the website speculated though. There could be a number of possible that happened to Fawkes.

kuhlman said...

I read the article on the Potsdam Giants. I thought it was interesting to learn just how quirky and legally insane Frederick Wilhelm I of Prussia actually was. Not only was he completely obsessed with giant men (probably because he was only 4'11"), but he went as far as to kidnap and bribe tall men in order to build up his army, though they never actually fought because that would mean that they might die. That and the fact that just because they were tall didn't by any means mean they were military geniuses. He even proposed inventing a machine that would stretch his giants to greater heights. Also, he bribed tall women to have relationships with his giants so that tall children could be produced, which was slightly odd.

adow said...

Two Blogs

The first site i looked at was the great fire of london in 1666. i learned that the fire was not all bad, althoughgt i detroyed 4/5ths of the city, there was minimal lives lost, and the city was replanned and rebuilt safer. one other positive was the rats that carried the plague had all been killed. Fun fact: the childs ryhme "london bridge is falling down" is about this event.

The second site i looked at was the 4th of july england style. hewre they celebrate the capture of Guy fawks. this is because guy fawks tried to blow up parliament in 1605. one event they do is burn an effigy of guy himself. pretty funny if you ask me

Anonymous said...

I read the article about the Great Fire of London. Although it was very informative, I also think that it was pretty pessimistic. It was the first hand accounts of people who had to endure it, so obviously they were very upset and devastated about the tragedy. However, I also personally think that it was a blessing in disguise to London, as they were able to rebuild the city in a safer, more effective, and more sanitary way the second time around.

kkelly said...

I watched the video about Baroque music. It's interesting because artists such as Charpentier were versatile and prolific music composers. Another known artist would be Johann Pachelbel who was a German music composer and his work was famous because he created a large body of of sacred and secular music. Plus his contributions to the development of prelude and fugue earned him a spot at some of the most famous Baroque artists. I thought the music was actually very enjoyable to listen too. Everyone's music was very influential to all cultures that was exposed to it. It was also stated that Baroque music took much influence from the artist P. Diddy.

Jerrett said...

I read the article about the special exhibit in the tower of london about the gunpowder plot. What I found most interesting however, didn't have anything to do with the plot at all. What was most interesting was that being imprisioned in the tower of london was actually more like a house arrest because the cells were actually quite comfortable for a jail. Still it was interesting to find out more about earlier versions of terrorism.

BO'Donnell said...

I read Moscow’s Kremlin. The Kremlin in Russia is a mythic Refuge. It is thought as a self contained city, with large and beautiful palaces and churches. Military forts and armories surround this city and protect it. Moscow grew out of a hunting lodge that was sat atop a hill. This fort quickly grew into the fortified town, or Kremlin. It quickly grew to become an independent principality within the Mongol empire. By 1480, the once hunting lodge grew into a glorious, fortified city.

Anonymous said...

I read the Bonfire Night post as well. I thought it was cool how it was sort of like our Fourth of July, in that they light fireworks, and celebrate. It's also interesting how the tradition began the very first 5th of November, and has developed over the years into a more contemporary celebration - including Popes and modern politicians for burning. It seems like an interesting holiday that would be fun to experience.

kuhlman said...

I also read the article on Guy Fawkes' torture in the Tower of London. I found it interesting that he never actually named anyone involved in the plot and that not much is really known about everyone involved. Even though the guards at the tower supposedly tortured him incessantly, he still never spoke, merely signing his name to two vague statements. It was also interesting to learn that historians have no idea if he was actually tortured or not, but are using his handwriting from various days of captivity as evidence.

NMosenthal said...

I read the letter Madame de Sevigne to a friend in 1671 describing Louis XIV's visit to Chantilly. In it, the gala supervisor, Vatel "The Prince of Cooks" commits suicide by leaving his knife in his door and running into it 3 times. Vatel does all this because there is not enough roast for the 25th table at a feast, and he does not think the fish is going to arrive. Vatel's suicide over such a trivial issue shows the pressure and perfection that was expected of court life.

Unknown said...

I read about the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was interesting to learn that it started from the king's baker's shop (stinks to be him!) and that the loss of life was so low even though the fire spread so widely and rapidly. Although the fire had obvious negative results, such as the loss of a whole city (4/5), the fire also allowed London to be rebuilt more effectively, with wider streets and buildings made with fire-resistant stones, and be purged of the rats that spread the Black Death. It was also interesting to read the various diary and personal accounts of the fire at the end of the article.

For my second article, I read about the Potsdam Giants. It was so interesting and funny to read about how Wilhem I went around all of Europe collecting tall men specifically for the purpose of the army. As long as they were 5'11'' or taller, he went to any means to get them (kidnapping and bribery included). But Wilhem I didn't even send his prized possession of "giants" into battle, he just used them for his adoration (he was a little insane). He often had the soldiers walk in front of him so he could watch them. Also, some were bred specifically for the purpose of being tall and being in the army. Wilhem I even proposed using methods in which to stretch them even taller. What really made me laugh though was Wilhem I was only 4'11'' himself.

bmiller said...

I read the Gunpowder Plot. I thought it was interesting how although guy Fawkes was responcible for trying to blow up the House of Lords, he was not the man responcible for coming up with the plot. Robert Catesby was actually who came up with it. It was fortunate how Lord Monteagle recieved a mysterious letter tipping him off about the plot.

bmiller said...

I read the article about the Battle of the Boyne. It was interesting how Luis XIV gave JamesII troops and commanders so that he could attack William through Ireland. The battle was pretty decisive because William had far superior numbers and their calvary made a Flanking attack up stream which forced James to divert troops.

rschwaner said...

I read the article “Wilhem I and the Potsdam Giants” which was about Wilhem gathering his Prussian army of tall men. He would offer rewards for men over 6 feet to join, and paid fathers who raised tall boys. He would kidnap people and even took foreigners. When he had an army going, he brought tall women to his armycamps so they could birth tall sons. He was pretty insane; he would have the troops march around to cheer him up, and had portraits painted of them. They never fought either, because Wilhem wouldn’t risk them getting killed or injured. It’s kind of funny too, because he was only 4 feet 11 inches.

I also read the article out what happened to Guy Fawkes after he was captured for the gundpowder plot. It is believed that he was tortured in the tower by James’ guards, though the methods are unknown. There were two documents found, dated November 8th and 9th 1605. They confessed his plot and gave other names. The second document’s signature was feeble and shakey, which is thought to indicate that he was tortured.

kkelly said...

I read the article about the battle of Boyne. It was very interesting and well fought battle from both sides. Although when it came down to it James II was just purely outnumbered by William III. William III already outnumbered James II by 10,000 men but after a cavalry attack by William III James was down 3 to 1 odds. By the afternoon he was in retreat to France. The event was one of the most famous Irish battles.

Steve Raymond said...

I chose the article on Guy Fawkes mostly because I like the movie "V for Vendetta". It's pretty interesting to see where the origins of that movie are traced to, but if I had to decide on who was cooler, I'd say Fawkes beats V by a long shot. First of all, Fawkes was real. Yeah, he didn't have a bunch of cool knives, but he almost blew up Parliament for realzies. Second of all, Fawkes was tortured at the tower of London, and was hung. V just killed himself. Altogether, Fawkes was the definition of a revolutionary.

Steve Raymond said...

I also read an article on Versaille, and about how Louis XIV built it for a residence of the entire French nobility. Essentially, it was the biggest middle finger in all of French history, mainly because of Louis' controlling of the nobility. It also offered an escape from Parisians, so Louis was considered safe at Versaille. Unfortunately, being far away from Paris, it kind of cut him off.

Jeff Moriarty said...

The great fire of 1666 was a very interesting articel ,the most interesting part to me was the fact that there were records of what he was actually seeing when he was looking out of his window. The witness reports were cool, how he was even able to trace the fire back to Pudding Lane.

Jeff Moriarty said...

I read about the strange obssesion that Wilheim had will tall people. He created a stretching machine to create more giant soldiers for his army, it was almost a fetish of his I believe. He said the most beautiful woman in the world was nothing compared to gaint soldiers? Very.. Interesting.

Caroline Armstrong said...

The first article that I read was about Wilheim, too. I think he's pretty strange and the things he's into are particularly bizarre. He was obsessed with very tall people or "giants". He had an army of them and went way too far to actually create taller people or make people taller.


The second article I read was about the fire of 1666. It became a tradition that reoccurred every year and became a sort of holiday. The article was pretty interesting because it was pretty in depth about what actually happened.

akochien said...

I watched the Youtube video on Baroque music. It was a really long video, but actually pretty informative. I learned more about individual composers like Charpentier from France who was a prolific vocal composition composer and Purcell from England who was nicknamed the "Mozart in England". I was proud of myself because I recognized some of the pieces playing in the video by Italian Boccherini and Johann Pachelbel of Germany. The video was an informational glance into to musical history of the Chapter.

Helen Ellsworth said...

The first thing I read was on Guy Fawkes' torturing, which I felt was quite appropriate after the 5th being Guy Fawkes day! Huzzah! He was tortured after failing to release any information about his botched gun powder plot, and was seriously despised by King James. The torturing took place in the Tower of London, and besides that not much of it is true fact(even the whole tower of london thing is wish-washy, seeing as signatures are the only thing to support his visit). Was he even tortured? I would think so, however there's so much speculation and guesswork here that nailing down a proper answer is almost impossible.

Helen Ellsworth said...

And, CRAZY surprise, I watched the video on Baroque music! Even though I was slightly disappointed with the video creator (CELLOIST? really!? C'mon!), his choices were quite interesting. It was nice to see Purcell on the list, seeing as England gets very little classical music cred for the next two movements, which are really dominated by eastern europe (well, besides the french impressionists...). Pachabel was givenly important, which is deserved, despite his status as the worst one hit wonder of the classical music world. His lesser known works aren't as appreciated as they should be, though, which was nice to have been pointed out. The highlight of the video for me, however, was Vivaldi! He's by far my favorite baroque composer, which may be due to my parents' constant playing of his music for me when I was younger. A failed interpretation at the "Mozart Effect", I think. But there is no way that you can get better than his work; it simply lighted up Venice and made it the crowning jewel of baroque culture and sound! Just listening to the third movement of summer gave me chills....

Jerrett said...

I also read the eyewitness history about the execution of king charles of england. I was already pretty familiar with the historical information but I was surprised at how remorseful Charles was. His speech seemed almost apologetic, mixed with a little self-righteousness (declaring himself a martyr). I also was expecting the king to be a little more out of his mind than he was. He appeared to be very calm about the whole thing, conversing with both his executioner and his bishop.

Unknown said...

For my first one I read about was the Gunpowder Plot, which was pretty interesting. They had the thought of blowing up the king and Parliament at the same time. November 5th the date when Guy was caught right before lighting the fuse that would exterminate the government of state, is remembered and now a new exhibit at the Tower of London.


The second one I read was about King Charles XII; he was about 15 years old when he took over the throne after the death of his father. In 1700 Charles declared war against his enemies, which lasted for 21 years and is known as “The Great Nordic War”. Charles was brave and well educated. He could have gone down as “philosopher on the throne” in Swedish and Europe history.

Gillen Schofield said...

two blogs
thats right, two of em

Alright so i first read about Charles I's execution. i found it interesting how arrogant and cocky he was, even on the day of his execution. It said that he wore two shirts on the day so he wouldn't shiver and look afraid. it also said that he had asked for the blade to be higher and if it would be quick to which the executioner replied, it can't go higher and yes it is quick.

Second i read about the Potsdam Giants. Wilhelm placed his highest priority in building up a great Prussian military. For Wilhelm a great Military meant big soldiers. He hunted all around Prussia and even resorted to kidnapping in some cases. The army was not effective at all. they were more so entertainment for Wilhelm.
on an unrelated note, when searching "Potsdam Giants" on youtube to try to contribute something else i found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1TdZfvknD8

which is an awfully sung song by a guy who calls himself (band name?) Potsdam Giants. enjoy.