http://departments.kings.edu/womens_history/cathymedici.html Catherine de Medici
http://www.answers.com/topic/gustav-ii-adolph-of-sweden Adolphus
http://www.answers.com/topic/ferdinand-ii HRE Ferdinand II
http://www.answers.com/Christian%20IV Christian IV
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/army/p/wallenstein.htm Wallenstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwKYqSyoopw&feature=related U-Tube Adolphus
http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/thirtyyearswar.html First and Second in brief summary
http://www.pipeline.com/~cwa/TYWHome.htmhttp://www.strategos.demon.co.uk/tywhome/http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/riley/787/30/ Arms of the War
http://us1.seafight.com/indexInternal.es?action=internalStart&help=false&battleTeaser=&sid=d53b90648987538c3b90f03752417676Pirate Game, might have to play at home. Just for fun!!!!
http://hankshistoryhour.com/2007/10/ Hank's Podcast - Students likes to use these so give them a try.
http://www.slideshare.net/davebudt/wars-of-religion-thirty-years-war-presentation Slide Show on 30 Years War
http://stipteacher.net/apeuro/appodcasts/index.htm Listen to the sections marked PB for the 30 Years War
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
34 comments:
I watched the video about Gustavus and learned that he was a brilliant military leader. He conducted ranks that were shallower rather than deep and his musketeers were known for there reloading skills, which were three times faster than his opponents. Gustavus was known as the "Father of Modern Warfare" because of his battlefield tactics.
I read about wallenstein ,and really the only cool thing I thought significant enough to comment about was how he became close to the Holy Roman Emperor and was ale to ue that frindship for political gain, becoming his general and acquiring tracks of land that had belonged to his mothers family and other confiscated lands that he later named, Freidland.
I looked at all the military weapons used in the 30 years war, I did not realize how much "handcannons" were used. I remember how you said that early forms of guns were being used in battles, but i did not realize there were this many, and that they even played a significant part of the war and battles. Furthermore i did not know ealry forms of gunpowder was made from corn and could easily go bad proving useful. By the way they described the guns on the website, it sounds like you would be better of with medieval weaponry anyway...
I watched the video and read the article on gustavus adolphus. What i found interesting about him is that he was revolutionary in his war tactics. Also he fought for protestants rights and inspired a bunch of famous leaders including Napoleon.
p.s. who invited this guy^^^
I read the piece about Wallenstein. I thought it was interesting how he rose to power not through family connections, but through his ambition, military genius, money, and approval by Ferdinand. After the death of his wealthy wife, Wallenstein was prudent enough to use the money he inherited to buy himself status. Due to his military exploits, from a minor noble he became a count and a prince. Wallenstein's use of money and ambition is demonstrated by the fact that he bought and named the land (Friedland) that he later became duke of. Unfortunatley for Wallenstein, in the end his ambition came at the cost of his life. His secret talks with the enemy made him a target for assassination.
I read the article on Catherine d' Medici. I had no idea how tough of a life she had, even though she was such a large figure of this time. Her parents died when she was a child, and the people she was left with left the young Catherine in the palace when it was attacked, which placed her in the hands of the rebels. Even when she was released by Pope Clement VII, and married off to the second son of the French throne, the French population hated her, which continued throughout her rule as Queen. Her married life was even terrible, as Henry II's love was focused on his mistress. She did, although, rule as the Queen Regent for 2 of her 10 children. ANDD she was the first one to wear high heels.
I listened to the podcast about the 30 Years War. The guy was interesting and I thought it was informative. I thought he did a good job describing the causes of the war and how the threat of expansion by the Holy Roman Empire worried the French.
The second thing i did was read the article about Wallenstein. I thought it was interesting how he rose to power by winning important victories and rising through the ranks. He used his money to buy more power and bought the Friedland. I thought it was interesting how he was assassinated for conducting secret talks with the enemy.
I read about Catherine 'de Medici. She was one of the first women to partake in society during this time period, as she was Queen of France for many years. Her family died early in her life which left everything to her. When the Florentines attacked in 1527 and her relatives left her for a captive, she actually became very well educated. She was married at 14 to Henry of Orleans. The article described her as not pretty and short, which led to her wearing the first pair of heels to her wedding ceremony. She was not wanted as a ruler in France because she was Italian, but she served for many years and overcame many obsticles such as the religious wars with the Huguenots, her rough marriage (Henry loved his mistress not Catherine), the loss of children (two died as infants out of ten), and France's reluctance toward her leadership.
I read about Catherine d' Medici. She led a really interesting life. She inherited a huge fortune at a young age, was taken hostage, was very well educated, and married into royalty. Despite being dislike by all of France and the 2nd love of her husband, Catherine always kept her composure and was able to overcome obstacles and become the queen of France. It seemed a lucky turn of events for Catherine that the king of France, the original heir to the French throne, and two of her sons died, allowing her to come to power.
I read the article on Catherine d'Medici. The article talked about the numerous struggles Catherine had to overcome. Many of these struggles were only a result of her being a woman and of her being of Italian blood. Though she was hardly supported by anyone her entire life, she was still able to become the Queen of France and hold alot of power, a challenging thing to do given her status as a woman. She didnt care that none of the french cared for her or respected her. She was a pioneering female leader of this time.
I read the article about Gustavus who seems pretty famous despite the fact that one rarely hears about Sweden as a power in continental europe. However not only did he secure much of the baltic coastline for his country he also held back peter the great an would have probably eventually beaten the catholics in germany had he not been killed in action. It was interesting to know that his engineers designed lighter artillery and that he revitalized the cavalry.
I also read the article about Ferdinand II. He doesn't seem like too intelligent of a guy. In fact he is basically responsible for the downfall of the hapsburg dynasty and the authority of the holy roman empire. He was a little too religiously fanatic and was actually subversive to his own political power while trying to bring the protestant heretics to justice. It was interesting, but not surprising, that he was educated by the Jesuits
I watched the Gustavus video. Through this video, I learned that he had some of the greatest battle tactics of that century. I was surprised to find that his troop numbers were really small in comparison to the countries he went up against. He was able to deffeat the bigger troops by combining ancient battle strategies with current strategies to form his great battle plans. He was such an accomplished military leader that many other great leaders followed in his footsteps including Napoleon 1 of France, and the Duke of Wellington.
i read about the weapons used during the thirty years war. I was especially interested with the training involved with the swords. The article told that the way men are shown in movies as being able to handle the swords extremely well is not entirely true. The article said that musketeers and pikemen were issued simple broad bladed swords meant for hacking through armor and flesh. whereas the officers were well trained in swordsmanship. this was because of their noble status and ability to study the art of the sword.
I chose to go through the slide show on the 30 years war. It basically reviewed the main points that were key to its ignition and the fuel that kept it going, such as the failure of the Peace of Augsburg and the Treaty of Westphalia. But it also went over the stages, Bohemian, Danish, Swedish, and French, that I didn’t fully understand before, and cleared it up for me.
Rebecca Travis
I watched the video on Adolphus. I thought it was interesting how he varied his troops to accommodate for more accuracy, adaptability, and speed. Another thing i thought was interesting was the amount of modern, or close to modern, leaders who mimicked his style. I didn't know that he had that much impact on warfare, and it was interesting to see how he changed things. the video had a nice background song too.
Rebecca Travis
I read the article about Catherine de Medici. It was interesting that a lot of the skills that allowed her to become successful later in life, such as her education, came to her almost by chance. i thought the inclusion of the little fact about here "high heels" was really cool! it shows how much impact the a single statement had upon the nobility. she seemed like an overall very level headed and powerful woman, and remained powerful even though the french didnt like her.
Just watched the video on Adolphus and his awesome leadership. Pretty much sums up this dude's character. He's aggressive, smart, and supplied his armies with artillery. He basically provided a huge step from medieval military tactics to modern day tactics. He had musketeers known for their firing accuracy, and he trained them to be extremely fast. He also tried to invade the Holy Roman Empire. Who else has the guts to do that? Altogether, this guy was BA.
Wallenstein was just a normal guy trying to command an army for the Holy Roman Empire. He tried to aid Ferdinand the II during the Thirty Years' War, but unfortunately, because it was easy to accuse him of being a traitor, Ferdinand had him assassinated. Honestly, I think he didn't deserve to die, but because of these political-military conspiracies, it had to happen in Ferdinand's eyes.
I watch the video on Gustavus. I thought the video itself was poorly presented... bad font choice, too many words, and no color scheme. Creatively, it was a disappointment. On the other hand it was educational. Although I felt it was a little biased about the greatness of Gustavus, I thought the video included some good information about him. I knew the stuff about Gustavus from the reading, but the video gave me a more detailed description of his youth and past accomplishments. The videos depiction of Gustavus was that of a very accomplished General who changed the outcome of his countries prosperity with his awesome battling tactics.
I also viewed the slide show on the Wars of Religion; Thirty years war. The show was only 8 sides long and contained information that was already presented to me. However, it was organized and well presented and was a really good review. It refreshed my memory on the four phases of the war and also put the Treaty of Westphalia in a really simple outline. A slide of the outcomes of the Thirty Years War was also included, and like the treaty slide, was simple to read and great for review.
I viewed the slide show about the 30 years war. It was a good review of facts we had learned in class as it went over the 3 phases, and the treaty of Westphalia. I learned that the war was the most important war during the 17th century, and that is brought and end wars of religion.
Ilearned about gustavus adolphus, and that his tactics in the military were revolutionary which led him to be a brilliant military leader, his acts inspired such leaders as Napolean and many others. He was a pretty cool guy.
I read the article about Catherine de Medici. I thought it was interesting to learn more about her early life and her life in general, because I didn't really know much about her other than the fact that she was the queen of France. It was interesting to note that she inherited the entire Medici fortune and estate when she was only an infant and that she was also held captive for many years at a very young age because she was "valuable." Also, it was kind of interesting to see that her marriage, like so many other royal marriages, was loveless, at least from her husband's point of view, although she was deeply in love with him. I think she was a pretty strong lady who went through some very difficult things and still managed to become Queen.
I learned about gustavus adolphus, and that his tactics in the military were revolutionary which led him to be a brilliant military leader, his acts inspired such leaders as Napolean and many others. He was a pretty cool guy.
I also read the article about Wallenstein. Even though he was inarguably power-hungry, he really wasn't as much of a butthole as I thought he was. He was very shrewd with money and alliances, and certainly utilized the wealth left to him by his late wife. One thing I found interesting was how he never exploited the death of Gustavus Adolphus, but rather retreated respectfully, even though his emperor was disappointed by this. Also, he was raised Protestant but converted to Catholicism later on, which was interesting.
I decided to view the slideshow on the thirty years war. These slides were a good recap/ review for the information i have already retained throughout this chapter. they were presented in a well organized manor and helped to clarify a couple of things. One being four phases of the 30 years war and also helped me to understand the Treaty of Westphalia into simpler terms.
I read the Christian IV of Denmark, and he basically was a complete failure during his time. He brought disaster to his country as he attempted two wars against Sweden, leading to the thirty years war. Soon nobility powers rose and they began to help him. It was interesting that he was thought to be one of the most favored Danish kings.
I read the article on Wallenstein. He was born into a noble family and initially a Protestant, but he went to a Jesuit school when his parents died. He fought in the army of the Holy Roman Empire and when he returned he married a wealthy woman. When she died he used her money to buy a company of 200 cavalry. He fought in the Thirty Years War and received large estates for his actions. He offered to raise his own army for the Emperor and acquired 30,000men. People began to see that his motivations were no longer to help the Emperor, but to gain power for himself. He reacted to this accusation by attacking and defeating the Swedes and Saxon. He was eventually assassinated for “treason.”
I also read about Wallenstein. It was interesting to see how he first originally got to power, not from family connections, but by making his own. The way in which he first approached the emperor with a proposition to raise an army really surprized me, I guess you have to establish and start off your career somehow but i never pictured just saying "I'll raise an army for you!" and because of this (and other factors obviously) he became a strong and powerful military leader. However, this decreased towards his later career when he began fratinizing the enemy, because he disagreed with the Edict of Restitution.
I read the article about Wallenstein and personally I think the man was a genius. He married into money which opened oppurtunities that he wouldn't have been able too before. And as Jeff said it was impressive how he almost achieved the Holy Roman Emperor position.
I looked through the 30 Years' War slideshow, and i found it to be slightly informative; it was a review of information we had gone over in class. No new significant information was revealed, no scandal, however it's always nice to go over information in a new format...gettin' the juices flowing! Summaryish: covered each of the phases with important people (Gustafus Adolfus, etc) and details on each of the phases (French, Swedish, etc) and their destructiveness.
I read about Catherine d' Medici and I think it's awesome how much she overcome to be in the position she was. Her parents died when she was young and had varios life obsticles standing in her way of succeeding but she plunged through them and held the throne as Queen.
I read about Wallenstein and I thought it was interesting that he, like Catherine d' Medici, went through a lot to get where they were. I like the fact that he wasn't born into nobility, instead he worked his way up. I also found it interesting that he religions but had a lot of religious upbringing and exposure throughout his journey to his political stature.
Post a Comment