http://www.ladyjanegrey.org/ Lady Jane Grey
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/maryqueenofscots.htm Mary Queen of Scots
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/punishment.htm Crime and Punishment Elizabeth
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/torture.htm Torture in the Tower
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/luther95.txt 95 Thesis
http://www.pbs.org/empires/martinluther/cheats.html 10 things about Martin Luther
http://wsu.edu/~dee/REFORM/LUTHER.HTM Great Quick Reference to the main people of the Reformation
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/alexanderVI.htm - Nothing but dirt here on Pope Alexander VI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/launch_gms_spying.shtml Game Mary Queen of Scots
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I read Torture in the Tower, which was actaually a pretty cool piece of reading. The father in it that was being tortured was very strong and devoted to his god. this is actually what helped him endure the pain from the torture he recieved, which amazed me was the reason he did not confess to himself being a spy.
I read the articel that was nothing but dirt, and was very suprising. In the beginning I was astonished in finding that Pope Alexander had 12 children, that just shows how corrupt the church was. The most interesting part though, was whta happened with nhis body after he died of sickness, it was like cornered near the high alter and left there to rot away, the reporter wrote about how disgusting his body hadbecome that afternoon. Gnarly.
I read the article that dealt with Elizabeth and her ways of crime and punishment. She had some various torture methods based on the crime you committed. For example if you were convicted of murder with malice, than you were to be hung by chains until your bones were nothing. Or if you committed suicide then you were to be buried in a field with a stake driven through your body. Her system was cruel and strict, but in a twisted way, it made sense.
Rebecca Travis
I read the crime and punishment article on Elizabethan times. All of their punishments are way over the top, and usually involve an insane amount of torture before killing the person. Even punishments for trivial crimes were severe. Also, the beginning of the article states that a lot of people were prosecuted unfairly, so some of them may not have even deserved the punishments they received. It's strange to think that people enjoyed torture this much to make it something to become creative at.
I read Crime and Punishment in Elizabethan England. The most brutal punishment sounded really painful. It was really hard to be found inocent of a crime in that time period and people accused of treason were not allowed legal councel. I found it interesting that people who commited suicide were buried with a stake through there body. Apparently suicide was one of the worst things you could do.
I read "Torture in the Tower of London, 1597." I was impressed by the strength of Father John Gerard. The fact that he managed to go undetected for 6 years, endure torture, escape the tour of london, and then escape England is amazing. Father John had so much faith in god that he was looking to death as a privilege, and despite the really painful sounding torture described in the article, he would not confess.
I read the 10 Things about Martin Luther article. This was really interesting, because it relayed random facts about Martin Luther including his advocation of heavy drinking, love for music and animals, and his skill for woodworking. The one that really surprized me was how his wife escaped from the convent (she hid in a barrel that was once used to store picked fish). Overall, it was amusing to see the other side of Luther that we don't read about in textbooks.
I read the piece on Martin Luther, and I thought all of the stuff that we don't really learn about him was pretty fascinating. It turns out he was all for drinking and sex, and thought that women had some similar sexual rights as men. I also found it interesting that he was an early animal activist as well as an accomplished musician and composer. He was also an avid gardener and woodworker. It was just kind of cool to see that he wasn't all about the religion side of things and that he had a life beyond being a major reformer.
I read the article on Mary, Queen of Scots. This article talked about the short and extremely depressing life of Mary. Mary first took the throne at 6 days of age when her father died. She then was imprissoned by her own people, and escaped to England where she was yet again imprissoned and sent to death. The thing I found most depressing was the way that she was treated on the day of her execution. It was as if no one had any remaining sympathy for her eventhough she really didnt do anything to agrivate any of the 500 people watching the execution.
I read the torture in the tower article. I found the background information more interesting than the actual journal entry from the Spanish priest. It really solidifies my understanding of just how militant the Jesuits were sending people to infiltrate countries and all. It was also interesting that the guy actually escaped the tower of London and was able to hide in the english countryside for eight years without getting caught and the only reason he left was because things got too secure after the gunpowder plot.
I read John Gerard’s account of being tortured in Elizabethan England. It was really amazing to me, because I don’t think that I could personally endure the kind of extreme physical pain that he did, let alone maintain my wits enough to plot escape throughout the torture’s duration. He was obviously a good spy for getting away undetected for six years, and gets extra brownie points in my book to be able to walk away from the happenings able to tell the tale.
I read the 10 things you didn't know about Martin Luther article. I thought it was really hilarious. Luther seemed like an entertaining guy (like the movie said I would want to party with him). I was surprise about his views on alcohol and sex--I didn't realize that ideas like that were around back then. I found it really comical that his wife, in order to escape the convent, put herself in a barrel for pickled fish. I was also surprised to read that Luther was a repenting fanatic and would punish himself to the extreme for his sins. This article portrays Luther as a really complicated man; super fun and liberal, but at the same time serious and devoted.
I read 10 things about Martin Luther; the first item on the list was interesting, alcohol cures all evils. When men would write to him about worries of going to hell, he would advise them to get wasted. Luther also had devotion for music. I though it was interesting that he was possibly one of the most important German composers prior to Bach.
I read the article about the dirt on Pope Alexander the VI. I am completely amazed with the amount of corruption that revolved around the church and it's leaders. This is shown from his constant "need" for money, and the fact of his 12 children. Pope Alexander the VI was obviously the most corrupt out of them all.
I've been to the Tower of London, and it wasn't nearly as cool as these pictures are. I didn't see any torture devices. The amazing thing is that so many people had been tortured in that tower, and I hadn't even realized it. Sure, I knew about the occasional beheading, but to think that this place was constantly filled with pain is a bit disturbing. They had that weird wheel thing that would pull your limbs, and I'm pretty sure they'd hang you with your arms behind your back. Sounds pretty painful to me.
I read about the torture of Father John Gerald. He went to England with three companions as a spy, and was eventually caught. He was held as a captive for three years, then tortured. His torturers hung him by his hands and arms so that he would admit that he was against Queen Elizabeth and tell them who his leader was. Gerald felt tempted to tell them, but he says that God felt his temptation, and sent him relief.
I played the Elizabethan Spy Game, and I found the trivia to be quite interesting! Some of the answers simply surprised me, and even the premise of the game, trying to decipher letters written in code (hey now, the code was pretty cool) was neat. Quick summary: trivia game with question about Mary's life and her time leading up to being beheaded. Huzzah!
I read the article concerning the Elizabethan times and the ways of punishment towards crime. The amount of torture and murder that occured just to get information out of someone is gross. Also, people would torture others to convert to their religion, but then they would die from the torture. I found it interesting that if someone was accused of a certain thing like treason, then they weren't allowed to have a legal councel to prove their innocence, so basically, they were doomed. It really shows the change that happened in a relatively short amount of time.
Post a Comment