ART PROJECT
http://www.studystack.com/studytable-482 Art Time Period Site
http://web.archive.org/web/20000617070143/warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/History/teaching/sem10/baud.htmlhttp://history.hanover.edu/courses/art/111rom.html Romanticism Pieces
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks5.html#19century Might be of some help!
http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=g&p=a&a=i&ID=204http://www.mentalfloss.com/difference/?p=72
http://emptyeasel.com/2007/07/13/an-explanation-of-impressionism-manet-monet-and-other-impressionists/ The difference
Blog REACTIONS
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Assass.html Alexander II goes out with a bang!http://www.uncp.edu/home/rwb/Ems%20Telegram.htm Ems Dispatch
http://www.h-net.org/~german/gtext/kaiserreich/speech.html Iron and Blood
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REnightingale.htm Florence Nightingle
http://www.pvhs.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/revs/1848time.html 1848 Time Line
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RUSsunday.htm Bloody Sunday
http://college.cengage.com/history/west/mckay/western_society/7e/students/index.html Practice Test Chapter 23 and 25
http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/BIOS/dreyfus.html Dreyfus Affair
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/ Dreyfus Accounthttp://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2005/08/15/2003267815 Russo-Japanese War
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I look on other websites about the revolts that occurred in this time period. Great Britain, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the Russian Empire (including Congress Poland) and the Ottoman Empire were the only major European states to go without a national revolution over this period. The Scandinavian countries were little affected. In the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, uprisings took place in 1830-31 (the November Uprising) and 1846 (the Kraków Uprising). A final revolt took place again in 1863-65 (the January Uprising), but none occurred in 1848. While there were no major political upheavals in the Ottoman Empire as such, political unrest did occur in some of its vassal states. These revolutions arose from such a wide variety of causes that it is difficult to view them as resulting from a coherent movement or social phenomenon. Numerous changes had been taking place in European society throughout the first half of the 19th century. Both liberal reformers and radical politicians were reshaping national governments. Technological change was revolutionizing the life of the working classes. A popular press extended political awareness, and new values and ideas such as popular liberalism, nationalism and socialism began to spring up. Both the lower middle classes and the working classes wanted reform. After series of economic downturns and crop failures, particularly those in the year 1846, produced starvation among peasants. The time from 1848 to 1852, Europe was convulsed by a series of Revolutions which all ultimately failed by 1852 with the restoration of either dictatorship or the reestablishment of conservative rule. The revolutions had started in a part of Italy in 1848, but the real spark was in France in 1848. With all the new enlightenment ideas spreading across Europe in this time the people only needed a conflict or issue in their life to start to question there rule which came with the failure of crops and other economic troubles. I read about Alfred Dreyfus who got the greatest time to be re-enlisted into the military cough cough. He was a probably honored to serve for his country since he fought so long to be reinstated into the military. Just because he was a Jew he was the one to be picked out to be a traitor.
The very first website that has the quizzes is very useful. It makes the differences between the styles a lot more obvious. Like mannerism is made up of imbalanced and stretched out figures. Also I like how it shows the artist that were famous for that particular style like Realism's big artist was Courbet. I like the website on Manet and Monet. It is interesting that they were so different but friends never the less. Manet was rich and liked to draw people and not much else. Monet was poor and liked to draw locomotives or the smoke that came out of them. I like the fact that Manet helped Monet out financially by buying some of Monet’s paintings. I also like what the national Gallery in Washington is doing, putting the two artists next to each other. Impressionism is an interesting art. It is cool that these artists went against the norm, which was well planned out portraits, to painting outside and making it more realistic in some was. Before the painting were planned out like making sure it had the right shadowing till it was perfect but impressionism was outside and they had less time to paint so the painting almost always ended up looking messy. It is cool that they draw by replicating how humans usually look at things and not the detailed draws that artist usually do. Even though the art is messy and almost looks like it would be less detailed I think that it almost has more colorful detail.
SO I read how Alexander the II died and I must say that "went out with a bang" made me laugh after I read how he died. What was crazy about his whole death was that after he was bombed the second time, he was assisted by a man, carrying a bomb under his arm. It seems like a contrast of interests to me. Secondly the Em Telegraph was also humorous, it reminds me of stealing someones cell phone and starting a fight with them via text message. I can only imagine the confusion of the French when accusations were made.
Alexander II's death was an interesting article to read about. He definitely was a person hard to kill. The best part is that when he was finally killed it was not very elaborately planned. I also read about Monet's paintings. I got a chance to see some of them this summer and enjoyed learning a little bit more background into them.
The timeline was very informative because it showed me when certain revolutions broke out. The timeline was able to take everything from the revolt of 1848 and combine it into simple summaries so I could understand what was happening. It also gave me an understanding of how the revolts were affected by enlightenment ideas. People wanted a fair and constitutional government and they were fed up with the old ways and were going to revolt. Now I understand you do need the enlightenment to have a revolt. The practice test blog was also very helpful and helping me study for the last minuet quiz. This is one of my favorite studying materials.
Looking over the websites,I found the 1848 revolutions timeline rather helpful. It clearly shows all the major events, and puts them all in order. I think this one would have been helpful to have back when we did that workshet the other day. Also, reading about Florence Nightengale was interesting. I have heard her name before, but I never actually knew who she was. Also, taking the practice tests should help for the quiz today.
I really enjoyed reading about the attempts to kill Alexander II. The bombings were ridiculous, and I can't believe they felt the need to build a whole cathedral on the spot of his death! Also I liked the website with quizzes on it; it was very helpful and made me realize how little I really know about this time period.
The first blog response that I chose to read was the link that dealt with the Russo-Japanese War. It was interesting to see the level at which they became recognized as another superpower. This was basically like their proving grounds in which they decimated the Russian Army on both land and sea. This war solidified Japan's role as a potential serious threat. It was interesting to see that even though they won every battle on both facets of terrain, the Japanese still suffered over 190,000 casualties. The other interesting piece that I found in this link was that this was the first "modern war". Meaning the use of automatic weapons, rapid-fire howitzers, 280mm artillery shells, armored ships and etc. Probably the biggest thing to come out of this was the use of Trench Warfare in battle which would go on to play a major role in the First World War.
The next link that I read was the one that regarded Florence Nightingale and her pursuit of military hospital reforms. It was pretty funny to see how the doctors and military officers were objecting to her ideas because they were taking it as an attack on their professionalism. However, with the help of one man, and with an exuberant amount of publicity, she was able to greatly reduce the number of patient deaths that her barracks were experiencing. The steps taken and reforms made allowed for everyone suffering from some sort of battle wound would not have to worry about possible infection which would lead to disease and even death.
Post a Comment