Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Plenty of WWII Stuff- Check it all out if you have time.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php? WhstoryId=95808967
http://blogs.nature.com/thescepticalchymist/2008/07/whos_the_greatest_russian_scie.html Who was the greatest Russian?
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1970/solzhenitsyn-autobio.html Solzhenitsyn the great Russian author
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=HK&hl=zh-TW&v=Xglby1gdDwM How Hitler lost the War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qeCNg8fO0&feature=related - Check this 8th Grade Project out. Does he make any errors?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgJQUXr2Ws Hitler Speech - Triumph of the Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVP3KU-qOzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58N73cAF97Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQIJkgpP1hg Munich Agreement
http://www.ukemonde.com/genocide/margolisholocaust.html Gulag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQIJkgpP1hg Munich Agreement
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mdzikovs/golod.html Ukraine Holocaust
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1920keynes.html Keynes Saw It Coming

12 comments:

Nbarnes said...

I read the article about the Ukraine Holocaust. It's awful that Stalin took it upon himself to kill so many people. The worst of it is how Stalin killed his own people. The people wouldn't agree with Stalin's idea of collective farming so he wanted to make sure they suffered. It was terrible that he starved them to death and threw them into labour camps. It was a predecessor to the actual Holocaust. I think the number was like 4-7 million dead and that's just an outrageous number. It's hard to think that a person could do that to his own people.

mbownes said...

I read the article about the Ukranian Holocaust. I can't believe that Stalin could bring himself to do that to so many people. But i don't understand why many of the people didn't want to join collective farms. Their would be more food due to greater farming areas and the people wouldn't have to work as long or hard to to the number of work hands. I guess it's just hard to fathom how Stalin managed to manage all the food among that type of population. He's just a crazy person I guess.

Scott Riess said...

I just watched the Chamberlain/Hitler visit video. It was really amusing, knowing that everything Chamberlain said about trusting Hitler would come back and bite Great Britain. I loved when he stepped off the plane, the announcer commented on "The Nazi Swastika and the Union Jack flying side by side". It's interesting to see Chamberlain because, though he didn't know it, that would change rapidly.

scavezzali said...

I watched to posts, the 8th grader's D-Day video and the How Hitler Lost the War video. In the D-Day video I found it interesting that the airborne divisions, with all their training, had not been told about how it would be to fly into battle. The telephone poles instead of guns on the beach to confuse intelligence was also intriguing. I ended up watching all 7 parts of the Hitler video and it was incredibly interesting. I did not know that Hitler chronically overslept, which created some problems. He applied to art school twice by the way. I found it astounding that Poland still had a cavalry and attempted to fight German tanks with it! The fact that it took 10 days for German forces to cross all of France is amazing and indicates that they probably could have finished off Britain if not for Hitler's blunders. A number that stood out to me was that one German fighter flew 68 times in the Battle of Britain! I did not know that if Hitler had not chosen to exterminate the Ukrainians they probably would have sided with him and helped him defeat Russia. An interesting fact for you Mr. Lamb is that the Russians often cleared minefields with cows haha. A death toll of 1.25 million German men in the first three months after D-Day shows the massive numbers lost during the war. Hitler was looking for a miracle towards the end and was presented with some in the forms of jet planes and futuristic planes. One such plane was the Messerschmidt 262 which was far superior to the Allied planes, however Hitler only allowed a small number of these to be produced. All of these mistakes definitely cost Hitler the war as even a former British soldier from WWII said that Germany most likely would have won had it not been for Hitler.

bhand said...

I read the article on the Ukranian Holocaust. I found it extremely interesting that even though Stalin killed just as many or even more people as Hitler, the only thing we ever hear about is the Holocaust of WWII with the Jews. I had never heard of this before taking Euro. It really doesn't make sense to me why Stalin would kill off that many people in his own country- I get that he was trying to get the population to do what he wanted with the collective farms, but it seems like killing off everyone isn't really the answer.

Unknown said...

I read the article about Stalin's "forgotten genocide." I feel like there should be a course offered solely on the history of Russia. I'm sure they are offered in college, but anyway, that's what this article made me think of. I remember learning a little bit about the Ukrainian holocaust in a movie called "Everything is Illuminated." I believe it was a book first, but I have not read it. However, I think it illustrated the complete disbelief and horror of the holocaust. I watched "Everything is Illuminated," I believe, in 10th grade, so it's kind of cool to be learning the hard facts of the holocaust in this article. It gives me a deeper understanding of Russia's history.

Anonymous said...

I read about the Ukraine Holocaust. It seems odd that this is not more well known as something like 4-10 million people died of starvation. Stalin did this with the intentions of revenge. The people of Ukraine did not want to give up their land for collective farming, so he intended to punish them, and so he did. People survived by making a journey to Moscow and trading their belongings for flour. For some, this treck saved their lives. It is pathetic and sad that one person could inflict so much pain upon his own people just because they do not respond to what he wants.

RGlavey said...

I read the Ukraine Holocaust article. It's absolutely ridiculous what Stalin did to his own people. It's unfortunate that its not really talked about. Its not nearly as recognized the the Jewish Holocaust, even though it was just as or possibly more devastating. I for one have never heard of these atrocities before this class. Its pretty unbelievable how Stalin felt killing nearly 7 million of his own people was the only way he could achieve his goals for the Soviet Union. Its really quite mind-blowing when you stop to think about it, so many people...

Anonymous said...

The first blog I did was on the Ukraine genocide. Reading it was quite shocking to me that I and so many people would not know of this event. The event gave me a better view of how harsh Stalin's rule was. However, I found it interesting that the article seemed to state that the event was forgotten mostly due to give rise to outcries over an alliance with Russia. Like our textbooks state it is hard to fathom what occurred during WWII to certain people. After I read those article I also watched all the speeches given in Triumph of Will and the other by Goebbels. These videos help illustrate how average German's got sucked into the Nazi rhetoric and how it become common to view Hitler as god like. Triumph of Will and Goebbels did well to inspire the immense nationalism that occurred in Germany. I'm sure most fell into the moment and were awed by the impressive videos and did not know they were supporting a hateful and evil organization. I loved watching those old videos and seen how people looked at things and getting a very personal views of historical characters. For instance, the video on the Munich Conference appears so positive and that Nazi Germany and Britain will work together and be at peace. We know now though how wrong they were. The best video was the documentary on how Hitler lost the war. The video goes over the propaganda and how silly traits like Hitler sleeping too late helped him lose the war. I found it the most interesting and the most useful in understanding certain aspects of WWII. Overall, the videos were by far the most interesting piece because it allows the closest thing to experience history and not just studying it.

bsamyn said...

I chose to read the article about the "forgotten holocaust" in Ukraine, thinking I didn't know anything about it. I started to read the article and realized i had heard somethings about stalin's genocide, once from a special on stalin and his relationship with his people (like the torture methods he used to kill them) and again when I watched a law and order episode about a woman who had been in a Ukraine camp and the solider that had killed her sister. Both times I had been interested in and disturbed by the Ukraine holocaust, which explains why i found the article to be so interesting. Like the genocide happening in Africa right now, in the 1930's and 1940's the world was ignoring communist genocide. How perfectly this fits in with the United states' fear of communism during the 20th century and how it was labeled as the world's biggest threat. Roosevelt was making peace with Stalin while he was killing thousands of people a day. If propaganda is capable of hiding a horrific happening like genocide, then I don't even want to think about what the news and government is hiding or has been hiding from the public.

sburge said...

I also read the article about the Ukraine Holocaust. It makes me sick to think that people could go this low all because the people did not want to want to agree with Stalin's ideas. Why would someone who is suppose to be protecting their country and the people do something so cruel. I find it ironic that stalin and hitler did not get along yet when you think about it they both had so much in common it makes me sick. How could you do something like that and not even care and pretend like nothing happened... a real person would not of done that!

Anonymous said...

So I watched the video on Hitler's speech. HOLY COW. It made ms so so angry ! The thing that really gets to me is how he brainwashed the YOUTH of Germany, I mean this kids couldn't be over 16 years-old. Hitler was no dope, he knew that he had to get to the youth so he could raise a generation of Germans with the same views as himself. Now, we all ask oooh how could we let something like this happen blah blah, but honestly...who was going to stop him? Clearly not the brainwashed people! The other thing that this makes me think of is how injustices like this are happening in the world today, like the Child Soldiers in Africa. This is a very similar situation, and its all because of the leadership corrupting the innocent youth. Unbelievable.