Thursday, December 18, 2008

Napoleon Stuff

http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/flash/n_time/index.html PBS Timeline and other things.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/soldier/page_1.html Article
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/standard/bio.html Quick Hitters
http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/napoleon/section9.rhtml Elba Escape
http://www.napoleonguide.com/sthelen.htm Life on St. Helena
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/battle_waterloo_01.shtml BBC Site bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtmlafalgar/index.shtml Animated Map
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtml Cool Stuff
http://www.withfriendship.com/quotes/Author-Napoleon-Bonaparte.php Napoleon Quotes

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I read the Biography of Napoleon as well as the Napoleon quotes. They were both immensely helpful. I love Sparknotes biographies, because they tell the story in a strait-forward and simple manner. They're easy to understand, and quick to go through, like information espresso. I love it. It was interesting to see how many of Napoleon's quotes I knew already, how many are famous. The most famous one is obviously the picture is worth a thousand words one, but the rest of them were cool as well.

bsamyn said...

I read the article about the battle of Trafalgar and watched the animation of it on the BBC history site. Watching the animated sea battle was neat because you watch the fight from above so it's easy to see how Nelson disrupted the French ship formations. I also liked how the site informs you of the various sea battle tactics and traditional formations navies used and how Nelson's method was different.very cool and helpful in understanding how the british won the battle of Trafalgar.

sburge said...

i read the article about the soldiers. i thought it was interesting about how the uniforms didnt fit and everything was bad for them. i did like how with napoleon anyone could be a general... he filled empty spots by how well u did during a battle not by how much money u had. it was a very interesting article and i learned alot.

sburge said...

i also read the article about St. Helena. it was interesting to read about the conditions that napoleon lived with while be exiled. personally i think that he complained to much about not being called your majesty while being exiled and he complained about not having enough food. it was an interesting article and i hope that i never get exiled anywhere.

Anonymous said...

One of the links I went to was the BBC animation on the Battle of Trafalgar. This was a very cool and interesting link because not only did I visually learn from it but I also read about how Nelson's superior and different approach to sea tactics allowed the British to be successful at sea. This was very interesting and it allowed me to learn about how sea battles were performed during this time and it also gave me insight on how the British had an advantage over the French at sea.

Anonymous said...

The next link I went to was the spark notes on Napoleon's exile to Elba and then the link on the Battle of Waterloo. Each of these links were very good and useful. Spark Notes was very to the point but the Waterloo link went into a lot of detail and in the end both were enjoyable. However, I like the one on Waterloo the best because of all the details. I never knew that Napoleon actually had a good chance to be victorious and had he not made some poor choices and if they had a better form of communication than the battle might of gone very differently. Also I like how not only did it give events leading to the battle but went through the entire events of the battle itself. Overall it had a lot of information and it allowed me to see why Napoleon was defeated and the great power he still possessed.

Scott Riess said...

I just watched that animated Battle of Trafalgar because everybody else said it was cool, so why not check it out. It really didn't teach me too much I didn't already know about the battle, but it taught me some cool techniques should I ever go to war with a fleet of late 1700's warships. Overall it was interesting, but not that informative about Napoleon. He wasn't even there! It was a good visual of Nelson's unorthodox tactics.

Scott Riess said...

I also read the Napoleon quotes. Some of them are pretty amusing, considering they were said by Napoleon. For example:

"A revolution is an idea which has found its bayonets"
-It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why Napoleon said this. Was he not a product of the victory secured with those bayonets?

"An army marches on its stomach"
-I wonder if he said this BEFORE or AFTER he marched to Russia. I might guess he figured this out AFTER.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon"
-Why am I taking this course, then?

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools"
-Obviously, Napoleon didn't think he had any limits, which may have been part of his downfall

"If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god."
-This is a good quote for the first part, "If I had to choose a religion...". Napoleon is definately a product of revolutionary France in which there is no God, there is only Country

"To have good soldiers, a nation must always be at war."
-That must be why Napoleon kept them at war constantly! It wasn't because he was promotiing liberty or looking out for France's interests, he just wanted good soldiers!


Overall that was a cool post, Mr. Lamb. Putting together those quotes like a personality patchwork, its plain to tell what made Napoleon tick. He was a man who had no God, no limits (so he thought) and was a product of revolutionary and Enlightened France. Several quotes stress the mind as a more important weapon than the sword. Could this be a more enlightened idea?

Anonymous said...

I read the Napoleon quotes and found them to be quite interesting many of them alluded to war, which is typical of Napoleon. They also defined Napoleon as a person. "Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent." This shows that he is not the type of person to sit back and have his fate decided for him, he believes in speaking up for what you believe in. "If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."
This shows that he does not trust other people to adequately accomplish what he wants done. TRUST, a problem he struggled with.

Anonymous said...

I also read Life on St. Helena. He and the governer of the island, Lowe, did not appreciate each others company. So naturally Napoleon complained about being underfed, which is suspected to be untrue. He also complained about not being able to ride without a British escort, he saw it as offensive. Lowe also wouldn't refer to him as "your majesty", instead calling him "General Bonaparte". These two clashed mainly because they both liked being in power and clearly Napoleon resented the fact that he no longer was. However, he did get along with the family he stayed with on the island, especially with the daughter...

bhacker said...

I read about about St. Helena and about the Battle of Trafalgar. I thought the article about Napoleons lifestyle while he lived in St.Helena was interesting. It must have been a difficult adjustment for him considering he went from royalty to basically nothing. He was not treated with much respect while he was on the island. I really enjoyed learning about the Battle of Trafalgar because it is difficult to envision how Napoleon lost the battle. The birds eye view of the battle makes it easier to how Lord Nelson defeated Napoleon. I also thought it was interesting how Lord Nelson chose a different tactic other than the traditional method. I thought it was a really good tool to use.

bhand said...

I watched the Battle of Trafalgar animation and the list of Napoleon’s quotes. The battle was extremely interesting to watch, because there is so much more tactic and strategy involved to these naval battles than it would appear. I also thought it was interesting that Nelson defied the traditional way of attack, and ended up winning the battle anyway, even though it was risky. I had no idea that Napoleon had come up with the quote “a picture is worth a thousand words”. Through the quotes, it is clear that Napoleon really was a military genius, because he really knew his stuff. He also had several insights that I thought were very thoughtful. My favorite was “Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent”.

mbownes said...

I liked the quotes from Napoleon. They really showed his true personality, especially like this one.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
He would rather die than have to live with defeat which tells alot about his military tactics.I also liked, "A revolution is an idea which has found its bayonets."IT shows that he has a fighting spirit.

mbownes said...

I also played the game. It helped me alot with the understanding of the tactics used in the battle of waterloo. It just so happens that if Napoleon would've listened to me he would've still been reigning over the continent of Europe. To bad for the grand old duke.

Nbarnes said...

I read about St.Helena. It was very interesting to me that Napoleon had to live with a random family because his house was not ready for him in exile. I can understand how Napoleon being a former emperor finds it tough to have to be under authority of other people. I'm also sure that it helped Napoleon come to the realization that he wasn't in charge anymore, when Lowe wouldn't call him your majesty

RGlavey said...

The link I went to was the animation of the Battle of Trafalgar. I found it to be pretty entertaining with creative animated diagram. Also, the information itself was pretty interesting with all the sea warfare tactics; broadsiding, raking, I never really knew much about that stuff, but I find it really fascinating. The new approach Nelson used in the battle was the reason behind the British victory; no wounder he's considered such a hero. I found this link especially helpful because of its entertaining animations along with the periodical interruptions, and it really displayed what happened and how really well.

scavezzali said...

I have always had a thirst for knowledge about Napoleon and his conquests and I found the PBS site very helpful and informational. It gave a thorough synopsis of the major events of his life and helped recreate what it would have been like to be in Europe at that time. I especially liked the quotes and thoughts which added a more personal touch to the articles. I learned a lot of details that I never knew about the battles that Napoleon fought in thanks to this site. This site also demonstrated the fall of Napoleon psychologically. In his early years he was certain of everything he did and felt it was destiny but by the time he was at Waterloo he lost much of his certainty, perhaps costing him the victory there. There are many different ways of looking at Napoleon and his desire and quest for European domination and I learned about many different perspectives from the PBS site.

jmartin said...

I played the Napoleon game as Napoleon and found that it was very hard to win. I lost nearly every battle and what few victories I had were minor. It would be crazy to be in his position at the Battle of Waterloo considering he was a military genius and even he lost. Overall the game was a pretty fun look at Napoleon's fight against Wellington though. I read about Napoleon's time at St. Helena, too, and I find it unfortunate that he wasn't able to fully accept this fate because it seemed as if he had it pretty well there. I also read Napoleons famous quotations and was surprised by how many i had heard before.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was interesting how well Napoleon got along with the Balcombe family on St. Helena. It's not surprising that he did not get along with the British authority in Sir Hudson Lowe. However, what was surprising was that he wasn't punished for his complaints of undernourishments, when his staff claimed there was more than enough. I do think it was important Napoleon had 5 1/2 years to write his memoirs, but does it really take 5 1/2 years?