http://departments.kings.edu/womens_history/cathymedici.html Catherine de Medici
http://www.answers.com/topic/gustav-ii-adolph-of-sweden Adolphus
http://www.answers.com/topic/ferdinand-ii HRE Ferdinand II
http://www.answers.com/Christian%20IV Christian IV
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/army/p/wallenstein.htm Wallenstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwKYqSyoopw&feature=related U-Tube Adolphus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I find it interesting that phillip II was the king or ruler of so much land. I also did not know that a reason for the 30 years war was his being replaced by frederick V. He also hired Wallenstein who was a great general. His son, Ferdinand III took power after him. Many of Phillip II actions changed the face of europe at the time and for many years to come.
I can't believe that Ferdinand would kill von Wallenstien. Von Wallenstien was his best General. It seems that Ferdinand hadn't learned anything from von Wallenstiens first retirement. Ferdinand got plowed by Adolphus when his other Generals were in control. He just as easily could have killed off the other side of the secret talks. I think the killing of von Wallenstien was the wrong decision.
I think Catherine de Medici is a great example of how people crafted marriages to gain power. Catherine, though a Medici, had very little power and influence at her young age, but because of her marriage to future king Henry she became Queen. Then, after his death, she had control of the country, on her own as the reagent queen, and then through influencing her sons. Her story shows women gaining power, even though it may not be coming directly.
Wallenstein was a really interesting guy. Even though he was of noble birth, he became a mercanaary general. He gained a reputation in Bohemia fighting for the Holy Roman Empire. I didnt realize he supported the Holy Roman Empire so he could recover his land in Moravia. I found his character to be very interesting as he became, essentially, the leader of the HRE's army.
Post a Comment