http://www.bonfirenight.net/ Bonfire Night
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/wilhelm_i_and_the_potsdam_giants Potsdam Giants. http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/W.Europe/W.Europe9.html
http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/history/events/dates/ch5.shtm Battle of the Boyne
http://www.geographia.com/russia/moscow02.htm Kremlin
http://polish-baltic-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_false_dmitris_of_russia Dmitri Stabbed. (Age?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
demitri getting stabbed. i believe he actually did get stabbed and tyhey "lost" the body because they didn't want him to be sainted or used against the throne. the fake demetris that rose up are just people who were taking advantage of their situation. the fact that historians have put so much thought into this matter when there are so meny other subjects to discuss is beyond me. does it really matter if he lived he didn't show himself, and the fakes would have come if he was hiding or if he was dead.
i love how the english established nov. 5th as a holiday but don't really know if they're celebrating the torturing and killing of Guy Fawkes or the assault on parliment. Either way i find the whole history to be quite interesting. I also liked reading about Moscow's Kremlin. I never saw Russia as an exetremely strong country (since the USSR was dissolved) and to read that their pride and culture is preserved in the city Kremlin proves me wrong. At one time Russia was a super power and this historic city represents the country's achievments.
Why wouldn't you claim to be Dmitri? One of them was ruler for almost a year. Think of what you can do in a year! You can wage a war (or two)! I love how the Cossacks could be brought to think the third imposter was Dmitri. Did they think he cut himself in thirds? There are a lot of funny stories in Russian, and European history in general and this is one.
I read the Bonfire Night article as I am interested in Guy Fawkes in general (Mr. Lamb, since you yourself say that you have no life, watch V For Vendetta, its a great movie and vaguely relates to Guy Fawkes and greatly relates to totalitarianism). I think Wednesday in class we should burn a Guy and light fireworks
It's an example of another great perversion of the truth. Londoners symbolically burning the Pope is really pointless. It's not his fault, but they blame Catholicism in general (don't they always?).
alright, so i think it's kind of funny how the British celebrate bonfire day without really knowing if theyre celebrating the execution of Guy Fawkes or for the attack on the government. i think it's a pretty interesting holiday though, and its cool how they pretty much kept aware of what happened with the opening day for parliament and all that stuff. i also read the dmitri article. i cannot believe he was "assasinated" at EIGHT YEARS OLD! that is SO young! you would think that an adult would never think to do such a thing, but it really shows how power hungry some people were, and i'm sure some people today would do the same. as for the false dmitris, i think its all very strange how they didn't find his body... and why wouldn't you say you were dmitri! thats taking advantage of a potentially powerful situation.
I read the article on Kremlin and found again many interesting little facts and also a better overall understanding of Russia. I myself never looked at Russia as very powerful until WWII and all that happened after but the article helped me to see Russia's immense power far before this time in history. The structures and items in all the architecture in Kremlin is very impressive and interesting as well. My favorites were the huge bell and cannon and the armory filled with amazing treasures. As I read through the article though my favorite part was the story of the architect, Alberti who built the Assumption Cathedral. It was interesting because after he built it Ivan was so impressed he couldn't let him leave and imprisoned him. This imprisonment then led to his death so its interesting that his talent led to his death. Besides that little story all the architecture and history of Russia helped me in understanding Russia's influence on Europe.
Now the 2nd story read was also very interesting and actually quite comical. It was the story of the story of King Wilhelm I of Prussia and his obsession/fetish with tall soldiers. He was obsessed with wanting to have the best army around and for his regiment would require all men to be taller than 5'11". Wilhelm did everything he could to get these tall men he'd kidnap men in his country, in other countries, and offer awards to anyone who brought forth a tall solider. He once almost issued a machine that would make the men taller but did not in fear of rebellion. Still he already had probably the tallest army in the world and achieved what he wanted. The story gets even funnier though because his soldiers never saw battle. He instead used them for his own enjoyment by painting them, training them, and marching them to make him feel better. Obviously, he was insane but it was funny. His son was smarter luckily and would let the tall soldiers go because he knew tall didn't mean the soldiers were better. It was said though that many soldiers would roam forever because many of the men were breed for the army and so had no homes.
Wow, The whole story about Dmitri just seems so ridiculous. I mean come on, had a seizure and stabbed himself in the NECK with a KNIFE that he was playing DARTS with... no that sounds completely reasonable. The only thing that seems even more ridiculous is the fact that people claimed to be Dmitri, and got considerable support. Although I feel the boyers sided with that one just so they could take the power of the throne away from the Czar. And the fact that the 2nd guy managed to assemble 100,000 troops, but then was simply beat to death by some random guy is just funny. Crazy stuff.
so i read about the false demitris. i thought Grigory Otripyev had a good idea with pretending to be demitri, but the second and third false demitris were just ridiculous.i didnt understand why the third false demitri would even try to say he was the real demitri after seeing two failed attempts at becoming czar.i also dont understand why the people would believe the third demitri after seeing two others. i think the original story makes the most sense because demitri had a history of having seizures.
I read the article about the false dmitri's. I think that all the false dmitri's in fact were people trying to gain the throne. But i do believe that Dmitri in fact fled to some other country and stayed in hiding because falling down and stabbing yourself in the neck with a dart is really far-fetched. I also dont' understand how they could let False Dmitri II get beat up by some random person when they believe he was czar because he probaly should've had a body guard or two.
I read the Dmitri article. I think that Dmitri's death was very unrealistic (I mean, seriously, how many people have seizures and stab themselves with knives that they're playing darts with?) I think Dmitri's death could have been caused by people sent by Boris, or maybe he just faked his own death, knowing people were after him. I understand perfectly why the first fake Dmitri would pose as Dmitri- but the second and the third? It's ridiculous what lengths people will go to in order to gain power.
I read the article about the Battle of the Boyne. Its amazing how intricate some plans were, such as Louis XIV supporting James II even with their previous differences. There were many other different treaties also present in this conflict. This battle shows how strategy combined with superior numbers make a win on the battlefield much easier. By flanking with the cavalry, William made the main battle much easier on himself and his troops. Its also interesting to note that this battle was so important in Irish history that they still celebrate it!
I read about Wilhelm I of Prussia's obsession with tall soldiers. I love these stories about history, because they just prove that all these people are completely out of their minds. I mean, really? Tall soldiers? It's so ridiculous that all you can do is laugh at it. It's a good thing Prussia didn't have any major wars during that time or anything, because unless the opposing army was struck dumb with fear of the oncoming giants, I'm pretty sure they would have been crushed.
I read the article about the Potsdam Giants and found it bizarre. Wilhelm I's obsession with having tall soldiers is pretty funny, but the way he kidnapped tall men and tried to breed them was a little bit disturbing. I guess he was trying to compensate for his own lack of height, but I think he went a little too far. At first I thought he might actually think that the tall men would be better in battle, but then I read how he never even allowed them to become engaged in real fighting and realized that he was just deranged.
i read the article on the false demiti's. I found this article very entertaining because it shows how gullible people can become when their are times of trouble. The first two demitri's were both very successful. By gaining the respect of the boyars and having a great army they were able to chalenge the throne. Much like later in history when Hitler was able to rise to power during a time of trouble within his own country. Although he didn't have to impersonante the dead son of a Tsar. It also amazes me that no one would come out and say that these all were false demitri's someone must have been there when he died and must have known the truth.
I think it is very interesting that people actually believed that these imposters were actually Demitri. A man (or in this case, child) is proclaimed to be dead, and then all of a sudden men come popping up out of nowhere claiming to be this dead men, and people go along with it. I mean, maybe they would believe the first guy, but two more after that is a bit far fetched. Granted, the story on how Demitri died is sketchy, and perhaps he did survive but for 3 people to impersonate him is rediculous. I can see the first one, because it is way more believable but the second and third one, come on!
Post a Comment