Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chapter 14

http://www.ladyjanegrey.org/ Lady Jane Grey
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/maryqueenofscots.htm Mary Queen of Scots
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/punishment.htm Crime and Punishment Elizabeth
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/torture.htm Torture in the Tower
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/luther95.txt 95 Thesis
http://www.pbs.org/empires/martinluther/cheats.html 10 things about Martin Luther
http://wsu.edu/~dee/REFORM/LUTHER.HTM Great Quick Reference to the main people of the Reformation
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/alexanderVI.htm - Nothing but dirt here on Pope Alexander VI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/launch_gms_spying.shtml Game Mary Queen of Scots
http://tudorhistory.org/wives/ Henry VIII Wives
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/john-calvin.html John Calvin
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/john-knox.html John Knox

Counter Reformation Images via Khan Academy 
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-history/art-history-1500-1600-end-of-the-renaissance-and-the-reformation/new-topic/v/introduction-to-the-protestant-reformation--the-counter-reformation--4-of-4


http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/TUDhenry8.htm Very Good Article on Henry VIII, wives and politics
http://tudorhistory.org/wives/ Henry VIII Wives
http://www.hrp.org.uk/henry-viii/children Henry VIII Children
http://www.hrp.org.uk/henry-viii/wives Henry VIII Wives
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/mary_queen_of_scots.htm Mary Queen of Scots

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds/meridian/2010/luther.html Dream that saved Luther
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZIu4SEpz8 Baroque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134QfGNwP18&feature=relatedBaroque Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zxP4QqfG8&feature=relatedBaroque Art
http://www.xtimeline.com/timeline/APEuroFrue 13-31 Timeline
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB56811B704ABA531 Reformation Lectures on You Tube

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The first article I read was a short summary of Lady Jane Grey's life. I learned that she was very well educated, and knew 5 languages. She was forced into marrying Lord Dudley, who used her to try and secure the English throne. His ambitions were to have his son inherit the crown when his wife died. However, Lady Jane Grey was only Queen for 9 days, and wasn't supported by the people during that time. The commoners wanted Mary Tudor to be Queen.
The second link I looked at showed some of the various punishments for crime in Elizabethan times. The most severe punishment was being imprisoned, then dragged out to be hanged until half dead. After this the person would be quartered and disemboweled. Their guts would be then burned in a fire. Punishments weren't equal for all classes though. The lower class received more severe punishments for the same crime as a wealthy person. I also learned from a side note that upper class women would wear pomanders. It's a ball worn as a necklace and is filled with atomic herbs and spices. This is to overpower the stench coming from the dirty streets and unclean people.

Unknown said...

*aromic not atomic

Alli Carey said...

The first site I visited was the BBC History page on Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots. It has a game and I had thought that it would just be a really easy review but I actually learned a few interesting facts that we had not talked about in class. The first fact I learned was that Elizabeth I was 25 years old when she took the throne. I believe that this was an older age to take the throne compared to other rulers. The second thing I learned was that Mary Queen of Scots was forced to step down from the Scotish throne. The game also mentioned that when she heard the news she was in Lochleven Castle in Scotland. Finally from the game I learned that Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots, who were cousins, never actually met. I found this to be interesting because although they had never met, both wanted to kill each other; of course the reason they wanted to be rid of each other was because each wanted the throne. This site was helpful in reviewing material and it also provided me with some interesting facts.
The second site I went to was PBS.org. The page that the link brought me to was about 10 fun facts on Martin Luther. The first thing I learned was that Luther’s wife, who was a previous nun, escaped her nunnery by hiding in a barrel that had been used to hold pickled fish. This was probably the strangest fact I learned from both sites. The second interesting thing I learned about Luther was that he was very keen on music. He played the Lute and was an accomplished composer. The last fun fact I learned was that Luther was an animal activist and hated hunting. I found this a little strange because I just figured that everyone was okay with hunting because that was the primary way to get food then. This site mostly gave me new and random information on Martin Luther that was not necessarily essential but fun to know.