Monday, March 5, 2012

WWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXqppJ-L88U&feature=related WWI Summary
http://www.pvhs.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/great_war/causes.htmWWI Causes
http://www.history.com/videos/causes-of-world-war-i#causes-of-world-war-i History Channel Causes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iR0xJW-Fk Trench Warfare Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCRRS_MqcVQ&feature=related WWI Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkTvb47OCsM&feature=related Propoganda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFnce-4e74&feature=related Propoganda Film shown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCbNE3ToePA&feature=related Outbreak WWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJXAcl8D51Y&feature=related Failure of Schleiffen Plan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCduRtJQ7gE WWI Simulation Map over the years
http://www.pbs.org/greatwar/ Great War PBS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/ BBC British Site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/ir1/causes_war1act.shtml Causes Game
http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/ww1/ WWI Site
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm Flanders Field Poem
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/wwi/wwicauses.htm To The Point
http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/all.htm WWI Battles
http://wwi.lib.byu.edu/index.php/The_Zimmerman_Note Zimmerman Note Translation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/shellshock_01.shtml - Play with this site to find some diaries and such.
http://www.triv.net/html/Users7/u17815.shtml - Watch out if you get one wrong you have to start all over.
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/quizzes/wwi/outbreak.htm - Easy to do
http://www.historyteacher.net/EuroProjects/ExamReviewSheets/MatchingQuizzesForFinalReview-2001/MATCH-WW1.htm - Tough one.
http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz2824822057278.html Quiz
http://www.thecorner.org/hists/ww1q.htm - Easy
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-1.htm - Pojer
http://www.historyteacher.net/APEuroCourse/EHAP-Quizzes/WorldWarI-2.htm - Pojer
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1919versailles.html Versailles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iR0xJW-Fk Trench Warfare Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaHnD0DIgc&feature=related WWI Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Cog9Zk3J4&feature=related BBC Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRRhxo0RHc Sargent York - US Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtVNDvwGMo&feature=related Path of Glory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcZZC8oILo&feature=fvst Gallipoli Music Video with Scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KzqzIR8x4U&feature=related The Trench-The End
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-xd0M6tRQ Rasputin Dance - Thanks Anna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ Gallipoli Film Ending - Thanks Ky
http://www.worldology.com/Europe/europe_history_lg.htm Interactive Map -Don't post needed to put is here for later

18 comments:

Hannah K said...

The first video that I watched was a summary about WWI. It was really helpful for me because I missed class the other day, so it cleared up a lot that I wasn't sure about. I learned more details about why the war was started, why there were so many alliances that were formed, it had a review about the battles we talked about the other day in class, and it also had some new ones that we dind't talk about. It also had a lot of visual things that helped me out more than things that we've been going over in class. I would recommend it if you're looking for a WWI review.

Hannah K said...

The second video I watched was about the WWI technology. WWI started the use of many things: poison gas (heavier than air so it would float down into the trenches), tanks (largest one ever built), first amphibious tanks, catapults to hurl grenades, electronic firing railguns (still figuring out how to use that one), and a lot of other things. It was also the first war where color photographs were used, which were used for propaganda a lot. The video talked about how it really was the major step towards modern warfare and many of the tactics that we use today...quite interesting.

Hannah K said...

The third video I watched was about the failure of the Schlieffen Plan. I don't remember what the Schlieffen Plan is, and I was a little disappointed that the video didn't go over it quickly, but it talked about the Germans having to leave their homes because the Russian army was forcing them out. The German Kaiser then sent more troops, who were still outnumbered by the Russians 4 to 1, and had to deal with the Russians trying to split them up (this is when I remembered what the Schliefflen Plan was). The video talked about the Germans combining their forces (not what the Russians planned on) and then pushing the Russians back and killing many of their men. The Russians were stopped! It's a pretty good video, but there's not really a lot about the Schliefflen Plan.

Luke Robins said...

The first video I watched was the a few examples of songs used as propaganda. The first song was very up beat and easily memorable, which was probably the goal of those writing it. They wanted those who were involved in the war, or going to get involved a song they could sing about the war that didn't same seem as depressing as the war was. My only question about the first song is what I wonder if it is an American song or a European song as they chorus kept saying "over there" Could that mean Americans traveling overseas to fight on European soil? Nevertheless the song was still very catchy and had a good beat, a perfect example of wartime propaganda.

Luke Robins said...

After watching the Gallipoli "Heroes of War" I was surprised to find out that the artist of the song was Rise Against. I had always known them to be a type of punk rock band with songs that had pretty decent meaning, but i had no idea that they had written songs that inspire so my nationalism. I feel that this song was much more emotionally charged then the first set of propaganda song. Granted it was written long after the war the lyrics are much much stronger than the others in the previous song. The other thing I noticed was that the scenes in the clip where some from the movie we watched last class. In this they put in the clip when all of the solider are writing the their final thoughts or putting prize possessions on a knife and then stabbing it into the wall of the trench. Is the reason for this to show who had given their lives, or would these tokens be returned to the brave soldiers families.

Luke Robins said...

The last video I watched was the Path's of Glory video which I found to be a good representation of what no man's land looks like as that was what was seen for a majority of this clip. It was very interesting to see the amount of terrain. I had just thought it was a large field with bunches of mud puddles and barbed wire, but in this clip it turned out to be very hilly I'm not sure if this is because of the location for because of all of the bombs that were dropped between the trenches. The only other thing I noticed, not only in this clip but it others as well was that when it is time to go over the trench the colonel simply blows a whistle. The same thing happened in this clip, but in this clip he continued to blow it even in no man's land. Unless he was using as a way of keeping his comrade's closes I don't see it how it could be useful after troops have be mobilized.

Keegan said...

The first video i watched was about the technology in the first world war. The cruelty of the weapons used was known to me because of my indulgence into wartime video games and it was interesting to see all of the things i already knew in real, living color. The mustard gas was such a cruel invention and the trench warfare just seems unbelievably uncomfortable and cruel.

Keegan said...

Next i watched the video was the the examples of songs that would have been used as propaganda for the war. WWI was the first war with colored pictures and this played a huge role in the war. The songs inspirations and purposes were obvious and it was no secret that they were created to get those to think that the fighting was valiant and full of glory, where it was just a bunch of sick men dying in muddy pits.

Keegan said...

The final video i watched was a summary about the first world war. More details were expressed as to why the war started, which complemented what i wrote in my i find nicely. the extra information about the battles of the war was also nice as it covered a lot that i missed when i missed the last two classes. the general summary gave me a chance to catch up with everything that i had missed.

Bartlett said...

I read the article on the causes of WW1 which really explained what caused the war well. The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was really just the last straw. The war was really due to increasing tension due to nationalism, imperialism, switching alliances, the balance of power,arms race, and different crises's such as the Moroccan and in Africa. It really seemed that WW1 was bound to happen whether Archduke was assassinated or not, it was really just an excuse to go to war.

Bartlett said...

I watched the music for propaganda on youtube. The song playing was "over there" it is a catchy song which is why it was so effective in getting people to enlist. It also romanticized war and said that it was patriotic and brave to go overseas to fight, appealing to their sense of honor. In fact on of the slides said that enlistment increased after this song was released. Short catchy songs like this were very effective as propaganda for WW1.

Bartlett said...

The end of the Trench seemed somewhat accurate in what before going over the top was like. People were throwing up, wanting to back out, drinking for their nerves. Everyone knew they were going to die unless they were extremely lucky.It must have been terrifying not having a choice, having to essentially march towards their death. The success rate must have been dangerously low.

Hannah C said...

After watching the three videos on the trenches. I have a whole new outlook on war, as well as a whole new respect for the soldiers who fought in it. I can not imagine literally running into your death, and facing it fearlessly. Life in the trenches must have been so lonely. Even though one was surrounded by men I am sure they felt completly alone. I can understand how many men would go mentally insane after being in a situation like that, post-tramatic stres disorder and such. I don't think I could ever be the same after going through that.

Hannah C said...

I watched the video about WWI propaganda. The video first displays the Germans as a large ape like monster with hungry eyes and groping hands. The monster grabs the ball of earth and squeezes it into a crumb, as you can see a blood like liquid fall from it. I find the techniques that they used to to promote the war, rather corrupt but effective. They made Germany look so evil so naturally people would be against them.

beirish said...

The first video I watched was on the propaganda used during WWI. It was entertaining to see how poor the graphics were. I tried to place myself in the shoes of those who would have been watching. The war was a scary thing and every country was trying to make sure the citizens were on their side.

beirish said...

The second article I read was a diary of a man named Hubbard. From reading his diary along with different sections about medical conditions and cure I was shocked to find out that many soldiers were not given sympathy. I learned that the many men were diagnosed with shell shock and that they did not recover. The only job a shell shocked solider could do was go back into the war. However, they would never be able to return to normal life.

beirish said...

The last article I read was the poem called Flanders Fields. It was interesting to read the poem because it was very heartfelt and there was much sorrow in it. I liked seeing the actually version of the poem and see the handwriting of the soldier who wrote it.

Hannah C said...

The third video I watched was the reality of World War One. So many bombs went off all the time. I can only imagine how loud, smelly, and scary it must have been to witness something like that. Nevermind the constant stress of staying alive, attempting to save others and attempthing to harm the enemy. It would take six to eight men to load up a cannon, and they had to do it while under an emmence amount of stress.