http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Assass.html Alexander II goes out with a bang!http://www.uncp.edu/home/rwb/Ems%20Telegram.htm Ems Dispatch
http://www.h-net.org/~german/gtext/kaiserreich/speech.html Iron and Blood
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REnightingale.htm Florence Nightingle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5bilCQEDU Charge of the Light Brigade
http://www.nationalcenter.org/ChargeoftheLightBrigade.html Poem of the Light Brigade
http://www.pvhs.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/revs/1848time.html 1848 Time Line
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RUSsunday.htm Bloody Sunday
http://college.cengage.com/history/west/mckay/western_society/7e/students/index.html Practice Test Chapter 23 and 25
http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/BIOS/dreyfus.html Dreyfus Affair
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/ Dreyfus Account
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2005/08/15/2003267815 Russo-Japanese War
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/n/nicholas_ii_czar_of_russia/index.html NY Time Articles on the Czar pick one.
http://polarbears.si.umich.edu/index.pl?node=polar%20bear%20history Archangel or Polar Bear
http://www.nevsky88.com/SaintPetersburg/Revolution/ Photo's of the Russian Rev
http://www.history.com/topics/russian-revolution History Channel on Russia Rev
http://history1900s.about.com/od/famouscrimesscandals/a/rasputin.htm Rasputin
http://it.stlawu.edu/~rkreuzer/indv5/rasp.htm Rasputin
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/nicholas.htm Nich II Death
Anti-Semitism
http://www.marxists.org/archive/zola/1898/jaccuse.htm Letter I accuse
http://www.marxists.org/history/france/dreyfus-affair/index.htmhttp://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/Dreyfus.html Story
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?ModuleId=10005175 Antisemitism site
http://www.ushmm.org/http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/promisedland.htmhttp://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/BIOS/dreyfus.html Dryfus Affair
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Assass.html Alex II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-xd0M6tRQ Rasputin Dance - Thanks Anna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
I read the site about Bloody Sunday. It talked about the poor working conditions in Russia (11 hour workday, harsh conditions, no safety measures, etc.) and how the people eventually got sick of it. They weren't allowed to form trade unions and the prices of their essential goods rose significantly in 1904, so, led by George Gapon, they decided to take a petition to Nicholas II. Over 150,000 people had signed it, a large procession of them marched to the Winter Palace with it, and then they were shot down by police and Cossacks; over 100 workers were killed and about 300 were wounded. Could you imagine if something like that happened today?! It's not surprising that it started the Revolution.
The second site I went to was the Rasputin dance Youtube video. Interesting! The lyrics are more informational, but the dance is kind of funny to watch. Was he really a lady's man? I thought everyone hated him? Except for the Queen, obviously. I don't have a lot more to say for it, but I recommend watching it if you haven't yet.
I also read about the murder of Rasputin. First of all, the first thing I saw when I opened the site was a huge black and white picture of the man...creepy! The caption under the picture was "Grigory Rasputin, the Mad Monk of Russia", which I thought was funny. I learned that the reason Rasputin was so hated was because he was a peasant, and the people were basically jealous of him & didn't think that a peasant should have that much power. I also learned that Rasputin had been living in fear for about a month before he was murdered, which made me wonder if he knew something was up. When he was offered a poisoned pastry, Rasputin supposedly refused by saying that it was too sweet. The conspirators panicked, rushed around the palace where they were, and then when they went back into Rasputin's room, he had eaten a pastry. The whole thing is weird. He didn't show any effects of the poison as he should've, so the conspirators decided to shoot him, checked on him a few hours later and found his body was still warm, Rasputin then attacked one of the conspirators, then he tried to run away, was shot a few more times, and then they finally captured him and decided to weigh him down and drown him. The guy was creepy for sure.
I read the cite about Florence Nightingale, she came from a wealthy religious family. Her father was a Whig and involved in the anti-slavery movement. When first reading this i thought that her family had good moral standards. However Florence did not want to get married, she wanted to become a nurse. Her parents disagreed with her choice saying that she should not be working, especially with people of a lower class. So Florence left for England where she met Elizabeth Blackwell (the first female doctor) who inspired her dreams. After traveling to many hospitals Florence realized how awful the conditions were at many hospitals. So she spent the rest of her life reforming hospitals for the betterment of society.
After reading Hannah's comment I decided to watch the Rasputin dance as well, I have Just Dance but I have not tried this dance yet. It's very fun to watch, and the Russian style of dance is very interesting. All of the movements I noticed are very sharp, and fast paced changing frequently, perhaps like Rasputins character? Is his outfit something that he would wear? I am surprised that the lyrics talk so much about how he was a lover. You would think that a man that was so cruel, powerful and harsh would turn ladies off rather than on. However all in all it was Wunderbar!
As soon as I saw that the practices tests were an option I figured that would be the best resource for this blog response. They are always helpful, because the question usually test on the more important parts of the chapters so I know what to focus on when studying. That and most of those questions show up on our tests, so it's a win win.
Reading the 1848 timeline really gives me a better understanding of how events played out in relation to each other. For example while Ferdinand was abdicating his throne in Germany to Francis Joseph I, Louis Napoleon was being elected in France. Unlike the notes in class this timeline helps me try to put things together. I had thought that Louis Napoleon was elected as president much before any of the revolution in eastern Europe had broken out. Just like the revolution chart it organizes each standoff and has a description of why each happened and if people were injured like June Days Riots that killed 1000 people. The only issue is that sometimes the country in which the riot or standoff is taking place is not stated so you have to infer based upon the description, which I guess could also be another way to test how much you've absorbed.
After seeing that both the Hannah's comments about the Rasputin dance I had to check it out. Now I'm not much of a dancer but the moves seemed pretty cool. And when you combined them with the song I begin to wonder so much about the culture of Russia. I am not sure if the writers of the song were Russian, but if they were did they also come up with the dance moves? Likewise do certain moves represent different character traits of the Rasputin or do they have some other meaning in Russian culture like those of Elvis and his forever gyrating hips? While listening to the lyrics I started to wonder about who this Rasputin actually was as I did not read the article about who he was, but from the song I gathered that he was the a great lover and a spy, but was poisoned. Did he know too much? or was it just like end of Hamlet? Whatever his story is, it sounds like it would make a great movie ( if it hasnt already been made).
I read the poem, The Charge of the Light Brigade by Lord Alfred Tennyson. It was written in memory of the Crimean War. The repetition of half a league must symbolize the size of the army. The poem really shows how scary war was. Cannons on all sides of you soldiers literally walked into death. "Into the mouth of death, into the mouth of hell". Its scary to think about, at least these men died honorably.
I read the article about Bloody Sunday. It talked about how the workers went on strike and formed a petition that 150,000 people signed. I find it shocking that these guards would attack all of these people without any purpose. They certainly were not attacking the palace, but simply wishing to speak to Nicholas II for help.
The second article I read was about the Charge of the Light Brigade. I read the poem and learned that 247 men out of a total of 637 died. The poem is very heart felt and talks about the men charging onto the field with cannons going off on either side of them. Throughout the poem it talks about the men walking onto the field with bravery yet walking off with less than half of them left but still with honor.
The third website I went to was the one that had the photos from the Russian Revolution. After looking at these pictures it gave me a new perspective of the time period. This happened a long time ago yes, but early enough to have pictures. It is hard to believe that Russia was so behind that they were okay with shooting down innocent peasants. It's hard to believe and strange to see pictures from this time period.
The first site i visited was the one about Ems Dispatch. We had gone over it in class and it was interesting but i was curious to know what exactly it read before and after Bismark's tampering. It just backs up the fact that Bismark was indeed very cunning and willing to do whatever was necessary to prove that he was clever enough to rule and do it for the greater good of the people rather than his personal gains.
Secondly I watched Anna's video which pictured Anna dancing the Rasputin dance. It was quite entertaining to watch but the lyrics were funny and I think it's important to realize that most of the lyrics were more sarcastic than anything else. Although perhaps he could have been a ladies man because he was in a position of power, and women go crazy for power.
Lastly i looked at the series of pictures from the Russian Revolution. I always love looking at real photos rather than paintings or other renditions of what happened. Looking at a photo its truly apparent the moods of those in the picture as nothing is lost in the translation of the brush strokes. the pictures put me into the place where everything is occurring. I cant imagine being in their place though, being cold and being shot at in my own streets would not be pleasant.
I read the History channel thing on the Russian Revolution. It seems that the sparks to most revolutions is lack of food which happens in Russia along with humiliations abroad and inadequacies/corruption of the government. Lenin and the Bolshevicks were able to achieve their goals and take control of the government by exploiting these issues. Nicholas II was usurped and the provisional government that took his place was overthrown because of the popular support enjoyed by Lenin and his socialist policies.
The Russo-Japanese war was the ultimate war to prove that better industry wins wars. Despite Russia's much larger size geographically and in terms of population, Japan was able to win because it was better in respects to industry, had better ships, and weapons. Japan's victory led to Japan's rise as an imperial power up through WW2 while almost certainly ensuring Nicholas II's downfall and the rise of Lenin.
Reading the Ems Dispatch showed just how willing to go to war most nations were. France started war with Germany over a letter that showed no respect for the France. Today it would take a little more than that for a country to start a war. The letter though is a genius idea by Bismarck in his use of changing the original to aggrivate the French and unify Germany. Bismark's masterful use of diplomacy and deciet in this dispatch paved the way for German unification, the rise of Germany as the strongest power in Europe, and the bitter rivalry of the Germans and the French.
I read the Ems Dispatch. It made sense for Napoleon III not wanting Hohenzollerns to the east and west of him. It also made sense for Bismarck whom wanted to unite and expand Germany to manipulate the centuries of distrust, the recent issue of who would become the power in Spain, and the concept of a catholic enemy to gain provinces in France and unite Germany further. This manipualation of the common rabble is the mark of an adept statesmen present in politics since greece.
I read the documentation of the polar bear expedition. Yes I know Bigl, reading the polar bear thing how odd? Anywho it was about the U.S. trying to open up the eastern front but end up fighting for tsarism during the Russian Revolution. The U.S. forces were only part of the international force fighting the bolshiviks.I also found out that the attempt to reopen theeastern front was only a veil in an effort to hide the real reason their to combat the spread of communism. In esscence if the troops there succedded, history would be rewritten, intersesting how one very little known expedition's faliure result in the cold war.
I read the article on antisemticisms and read more into the USHMM webesite. What i found HORRIFIED me. How pogroms were incited , how the rumors about the blood of Christian children were used, the number of false documents and such produced appaulled me. The amount the Jews have scapegoat. The document that most horrfied me was the protocols of the elder of zion. A document based not on logic but on pure hatred. What startles me even more that despite the many times it has been disproven they are still used/read today. The multitude of nations that were anti-semitic or made anti-semitic actions is just awful.
Post a Comment