Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Napoleon

VACATION WORK - Respond to three links, Complete Napoleon Time Line with 5 events and a paragraph about each.
http://www.napoleonguide.com/ Great all around site for Napoleon
http://www.historywiz.com/toussaint.htm Toussaint
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/flash/n_time/index.html PBS Timeline and other things.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/ibs/index.html Game
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/soldier/page_1.html Article
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/standard/bio.html Quick Hitters
http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/napoleon/section9.rhtml Elba Escape
http://www.napoleonguide.com/sthelen.htm Life on St. Helena
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/battle_waterloo_01.shtml BBC Site bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtmlafalgar/index.shtml Animated Map
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/launch_ani_trafalgar.shtml Cool Stuff
http://www.withfriendship.com/quotes/Author-Napoleon-Bonaparte.php Napoleon Quotes
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/hs1000.htmlhttp://www.napoleonguide.com/ Napoleon Stuff
http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/march-of-democracy.html Map of Democracy-Takes Time to load

11 comments:

jmarker said...

The first thing I looked at was the Napoleon timeline on PBS. The Napoleon timeline shows a lot more than the book does. It shows how he climbed up militarily and all of the victories he wins when he is in power. It also shows key points in his personal life. The most interesting thins to me was how it showed that it took a while for the allied forces to take him down and how he still caused trouble when he was in exile in St. Helena. The second thing I looked at was the animated map of the Battle of Trafalgar. It is interesting how it shows the different tactics of naval warfare. It also shows just how the battle was fought and won. I found it interesting to find out that a hurricane had a lot to do with the British victory. The last thing I looked at was the Napoleon quotes. I did not realize that he was the first to say a picture is worth a thousand words. I found that most of his quotes either had to do with people or war. He focused a lot on the mind and just how powerful it can be. He understood a lot of concepts that allowed him to be victorious in his wars.

Meo R.P said...

The first thing that I saw was Napoleon's quotes. My favorite one was this, "The reason I beat the Austrians is, they did not known the value of five minutes". I thought that in the long run this comment did not work in his favor. If only he knew that with the Autrians help the Fourth Colaition would kick his butt not once but twice (the second one being kind of embarassing since he only ruled for a 116 days and then sentenced to the middle of nowhere. The next one I checked was life at St. Helena. I thought that it must have been awkward for both the Briars (a simple family) and Napoleon (man who wants world domination) to get along but apparently they got along quite slpendidly. The last one I looked at was the PBS timeline. I liked the story of Josephine, Napoleon, and Pauline Bellisle Foures. The realationship between Napoleon and his wife was pretty explosive, full of distrust, and unfaitful. His letters were pretty much bipolar and he seemed at first genuinely in love.

Christopher Mayhew said...

The two websites i looked at were the map of democracy and the animated battle of trafalgar. I thought that it was interesting that the democracy map changed so often all throughout Europe. Especially France which literally switched from feudalism to democracy to fascism back to democracy and so on. It was also pretty cool to see how after the U.S. was established democracy exploded throughout the world. The animated battle of trafalgar really showed how the british used great battle tactics to overwhelm and confuse the french. They seemed evenly matched but i guess in the end it all comes down to strategizing which Lord Nelson was famed for. I feel as though if the french had better prepared for the battle that they would've then made provisions and plans for a full scale invasion on England.

Toakley said...

First site I looked at was the Quotes: To have good soldiers, a nation must always be at war. Very fitting given his history.Second I played the PBS Battle simulator, turns out Wellington isn't a sure win. The next site I checked out was the quick hitter... Wish I had checked this out BEFORE I did my time line. Its all organized perfectly with detailed outline, what the hell.

Unknown said...

Hi Mr. Lamb. I first read the link on Napoleons escape of Elba. I found to show Napoleons character of how he actually but effort into helping the island with the building of hospitals and how he increased the availability of drinking water for the 12,000 residents of the island. It is surprising that Napoleon had 400 volunteered soldiers that actually went with him to the island. The Austrians must of put a lot more of guards to watch him or they were not worried of him killling the guards and going back to Franch. It is strange that his wife didn't come with him to the island but it could of been that she stayed in order to mail him news of the world. The other link I looked at was his exile to St. Helena 2000 Km of the coast of Africa a 47 miles wide island. The difference to his stay would have been most diff. because the island was under British rule.It would be crazy to take a 10 week trip on the sea just in order to be a prisoner on an island. The island being so far from any where must of rarely saw any outsiders. I read that Napoleon many spent his days going on walks and reading.The Third site I looked at was the battle simulation of the Battle of Waterloo. I liked that the game gave you visual image of how the battle would have been. It funny because I just got the Napoleon Total War for my computer. It is a game of the world around Napoleons time and you can be different countries to build your own empire.

irollison said...

I enjoyed looking at the simulation of the Battle of Trafalgar. I found it interesting that the wind was calm , allowing the British fleets to maximize their positions before firing on Napoleon's fleets. It takes skilled calculations and maneuvering to predict wind patterns and adapt large fleets so quickly to them. I teach sailing lessons in the summer and this is a task other counselors and I are faced with, attempting to predict wind patterns and gusts to maximize speed and agility of the boats in order to teach and test skills. Captain Nelson was able to attack weak positions, demonstrating that technology was constantly effecting navies during the 1800s. After he exposed the weakness of a longitudinal ship firing on a latitudinal ship, Nelson was allowed to play up the weakness of the French. Britain's navy had also blockaded French ports for some time and without easy access to open waters, it would have been difficult for French naval troops to train.
The also found the duel existence of democracy and feudalism portrayed on the map of war interesting. It literally divided Eastern and Western Europe before the takeover of nationalism before the era of democracy. The only improvement I would make to the video was a more frequent distinction of dates. Being a linear person, I thought the clip was an interesting depiction of world governments, but would've liked to stop it as the map changed to reference dates to other acquired knowledge. It is also interesting that the map doesn't depict North Korea as a communist country at the modern day ending. It does however include Cuba and China (Hasn't North Korea been communist since the Korean War though?).
After reviewing Napoleon's famous quotes, I a couple to be particularly interesting. First, "Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent," is an interesting statement because it quite eloquently sums up the French Revolution - as well as other, more modern situations. Secondly, I was surprised to learn that the statement; "A picture is worth a thousand words," was first made by Napoleon. Then again, he did encounter many scenes in his life, that if painted, would have been very powerful. Such landscapes could've included a view of St. Helena, or one of numerous battlefields in Eastern Europe.

John DeGennaro said...

I looked at the article of the Haitian Rebellion first. I find it interesting that Napoleon virtually left the far away colonies to focus more on taking control of Europe. In the end this didn't work out too well, but I assume this seemed like the thing to do at the time. Though, it does seem a little sad that the man behind the rise of Haiti was thrown in a French prison even though france abandoned the cause of putting down the rebellion in the end...

The second piece I took a look at was the Napoleon game. This offered a lot of entertainment, and I really liked playing it. I decided to play as the French troops, and as I was going along, I seemed to be doing well. I lost a few, but won a few as well, and by the end I was feeling pretty confident. My last two moves, however, left me defenseless, and my decision to put it all in with zero defenses against the Prussians now seems like a bad move.

The third thing I took a look at was the time line. This had some great information that was well organized, and helped me to understand exactly how all of the events of Napoleon's life fit together. The entire PBS site seems like a great source of information.

gabartlett said...

Well first off the timeline blog was very helpful for my timeline homework. Information like the siege of Toulon and the battle of Waterloo were taken from the timeline and put into my own time line. I like how you could click on the event and get the information you needed. I also liked the information on Toussaint L'Ouverture. It was nice to see that a slave was able to in some ways overpower Napoleon. The blog was able to show that not all masters were bad because Toussaint’s master allowed him to learn to read and write. It was also interesting to see that the Rights of Men were going to apply even to the black and mulattoes before the plantation owners started to complain. The blog also showed another side to Napoleon because it seemed that Napoleon cared for his people and even used his presence in Elba to help the inhabitants improve their island. In this blog though he tricked Toussaint into meting him and then took him prisoner. The blog helped me see another side of Napoleon and help me learn about another interesting person in history. The blog on Elba was also very interesting. People always here that napoleon was exiled to Elba, but never get very much information on his time there. I did not know that Napoleon used his time on Elba to train troops, build hospitals, and improve and increase the drinking water. The blog also showed that his wife was a jerk. She would not even visit him in his exile. What kind of wife does that? No wonder napoleon had a mistress. I also thought it was stupid that Napoleon was able to receive letters and outside information on world events. Why would you give the most powerful man in Europe so much information all it can do is make Napoleon more powerful. I guess it just shows that Napoleon was even well respected when exiled to Elba. The three blogs helped me expand my knowledge on Napoleon.

CDonahue said...

The first link that I found to be very interesting was the animated map that reenacted the Battle of Trafalgar. The part that I found most interesting during this was the explanation of how each of the ships is arranged and how they have to position themselves in order to be able to strike their opponents. During this time the ships had their cannons arranged on the side and therefore had to be parallel or close to parallel to the opposition in order to fire. Watching the animated map was interesting because it was cool to see how the French fleet broke through the British line-up to claim victory. It was very unfortunate that Nelson was celebrating victory one moment and suffering death about 15 minutes later.

The next link that I found to be interesting was the March of Democracy link. It was interesting to see the first forms of democracy over the last 4000 years and how democracy has spread to more than half of the world. It is definitely interesting to see the transformation that has taken place and all the things that first rooted to make democracy grow strong.

The next link that I checked out was the overall site for Napoleon. Further onto that site I focused on the multiple lovers that Napoleon had. One of the women I found to be interesting was Desiree Clary who actually was originally courted by Joseph Bonaparte (Napoleon’s brother) before becoming romantically involved with Napoleon. If a picture says a thousand words, then Josephine Beauharnais’ picture leaves me speechless (attractive isn’t she). The first wife of Napoleon attracted him with her sexual experiences, but it was her countless affairs that lead this couple to have an unstable relationship. It was not the affairs that split these two apart, but the simple fact that Josephine could not bare Napoleon any children.

Anonymous said...

I liked the PBS Napoleon wesbsite. It was esay to understand and the facts were presented in a claer manner...there was nothing new though. I loved the "March of Democracy" video. It's so interesting to see the evolution of the governemnts of me. I had no idead, for instance, that there were Republics in Arbad and Vaishali that predate the Republics of Greece! I also liked the Napoleon quotes, not really suprised by any of them, he wasn't really know for being humble...

Marlee Stever said...

I find it very surprising that toussaint with no military training, won 7 battles in 7 days. It annoys me that they call toussaint the "black Napoleon" when in the end Napoleon broke a promise and killed toussant. Doesn't sound like Napoleon was a very nice person. Though I can see why they call toussaint the "black Napoleon" because of his success in battles. Napoleans quote about the sword being mighter then the mind remindes me of the saying of how the pen is stronger then the sword which is the exact opposite. Also the other quote that says that space can be recovered but time can't is a really good one. These definitly show how smart Napoleon was when it came to warfare. In the Sparknotes on Napoleon it starts out with a quote from him to Josephine about him everlast love for her even though during his time with her both of them had affairs. Also, how can anyone believe that someone so absest with war as Napoleon would every want to be the creater of peace. It was probably because they were starting to let up on Napoleon, that he was able to escape.